Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acid Reflux and operation

Options
  • 31-05-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi this is a question for my wife> does anyone have or know of someone who has had acid reflux and got the operation for it? the operation is called GERD nissen fundoplication. we know someone who has it and has heard only bad things about the after affects of this operation. we would like to put her in touch with someone who had it and had reasonable improvement? thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Was your friend's procedure laparoscopic? Will your wife's be?

Can't comment from personal experience, but the experiences of the operation performed laparoscopically would differ considerably from that of it performed by abdomenal incission.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

i suffer form it but the doc hasn decided to operate yet, he gaveme some tabs call "protium" and it helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

i suffer from it aswell and i was told i could either stay on protium or some other tablet for the rest of my life or i could have the operation, im now on the waiting list for the op, have been for nearly 2 years!! the effects afterwards arent really long term so im not that worried about it to be honest but would be interested to hear from someone whos had it done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

PM GingaNinja. Tell him I sent you. :) I think that's the op he had done. He seems a lot better afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Doctor Fell

I know of someone who had this op - it wasn't performed by stomach incision, but the after effects were very discomforting nonetheless. She wasn't allowed lie in a vertical position for 6 weeks afterwards, and the pain of digestion was so severe she was not able for solid foods for about 4 weeks. Only able for liquid food. This in itself can be fairly tough. She also felt occassionaly nauseous, but of course if she vomited at all it would undo the work of the operation. So overall it wasn't very pleasant post-op, but if its necessary, what can you do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 neeviec

just going to write a quick message. I work in an area that deals mostly with problems of the GI tract. We see lots of patients regularly following Nissen's Fundaplication and they all report a huge improvement in their lives folowing the op. Most complain of a fair amount of discomfort following the procedure but this is far outweighed by comfort they feel following their recovery. As Dr Fell said your wife will have to have a liquid dietfor 4 to 6 weeks following the op and there will restrictions but the doctors should go through these before she agrees to the procedure. I'm ot beng nosy but just out of interest has her doctor tried any other form of treatment should as a PPI therapy such as Protium or Nexium? It seems fairly radical to try a Nissen's Fundiplication if other forms of therapy have been tried. These types of medication have very positive feedback from the majority of our patients. Also following a Nissen's your wife will have to have regular scopes to see if everything is going to plan. Just said I'd give my two cents, probably no help whatsoever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Would a long term dietary change help. I don't know, just asking out of interest, as someone I know had this problem(people differ obviously), he was very overweight and eating mostly crap. His fear of operations led him to change his diet radically. He dropped the weight and his reflux pretty much disappeared with his distended belly(along with his early stage type 2 diabetes). Took nearly a year though. He only had the problem for less than 5 yrs so maybe there's a time limit for the dietary route.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jammie

I suffer very badly from acid reflux, its chronic in fact, however I cannot go through with the op because I have cystic fibrosis so want to avoid anything that doesnt have to be gone.

I have been on Zoton for years and unless I forget to take my daily tablet Im fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I sufered from acids reflux for years, but it cleared up once i eliminated wheat from my diet. I presume however that you've already investigated such methods of control.

I feel however, that this is more of a medical matter and therefore I'm moving this thread to the medical forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Wibbs wrote:
    Would a long term dietary change help. I don't know, just asking out of interest, as someone I know had this problem(people differ obviously), he was very overweight and eating mostly crap. His fear of operations led him to change his diet radically. He dropped the weight and his reflux pretty much disappeared with his distended belly(along with his early stage type 2 diabetes). Took nearly a year though. He only had the problem for less than 5 yrs so maybe there's a time limit for the dietary route.
    There are more than one cause of heartburn and nissens fundiplication is indicated particularily if someone has a sliding hiatus hernia where there is a larger than normal opening in the diaphragm (which normally acts as a valve, preventing acid refluxing up the oespophagus). when this is gone, then not only does acid spill up, but the stomach slides up into the chest and makes the problem much worse and difficult to treat.

PPI's are normally the first line and very effective for acid reflux, those who get no relief from this can be recommended surgery by their doctor.

Long standing reflux over many, many years can result in cell changes in the lower oesophagus called barretts oesophagus and this can result in over an even longer term change occasionally into oesophageal cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 yumtastic_fluff

ive been suffering with a hiatus hernia since october of last year... im only eighteen and apparently its rare fro someone so youung to get this condition?

ive been on nexium for a few months, moved onto zoton... neither help much. ive changed my diet completely too. what other options are available for treating this? i recently had a test of my gi function and ph levels and am still awaiting results... does anyone know what the results of these tests shud be able to tell me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

My husband had a Nissan Fundoplication 5 years ago after suffering very badly with GERD. He had tried the usual meds like Protium, Nexum etc. but they weren't having any measurable effect. Then he was referred to St. James for what we called the "walkman test" - don't know the correct name - where the acid levels were measured over a 24h period. His were way over so he was referred for surgery.

Unfortunately the laparoscopic procedure had to be converted to an open one so he has a lovely wee scar & was v. uncomfortable for a week afterwards. We also discovered he's allergic to Morphine, just like me (the hallucinations are funny now, looking back, but I wasn't laughing at the time :eek: )

5 years on and all he takes Gaviscon to control any heartburn, is careful with what he eats & doesn't eat or drink within an hour of bedtime where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

your comments have been helpful and i appreciate them all. diet is not an issue as she can only eat very little and although the medication i s easing things when the doc said she should get the op we feel foolish not to do it. She has a hernia hiatus and that has to be sorted as well. worried about what to give her after op. any recipes that can be taken without adding to acid would be gratefully received. thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hip2dahop

Hi, am 36 years old and had the Nissan Fundoplication procedure. It's been 8 days since I had the operation and am driving and eat soft foods (limited - like soups / rice pudding mostly) I tried soft bread like sponge cake and it was ok with ice cream, but began to feel pain after - I got too excited my mend was going so well.

I opted for the procedure because pain in my stomach, didn't have much reflux if not any but knew something wasn't right. Did the 24 pH test which showed I had 25 rating of acid or whatever it meant (which is extremely high) so get the surgery and wasn't that scary.

But today I have pain when I breath left side and back (I think it's my kidney but not sure) am worried it may be an infection, but am only 8 days recovering - so I don't know if it's part and parcel

Has anyone had this symptom of pain during early recovery of this surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

hip2dahop wrote: »
    Has anyone had this symptom of pain during early recovery of this surgery?

You need to discuss this with your doctor as a matter of priority.

If you have difficulty breathing (because of this or otherwise) that requires emergency attention.

Phone first thing tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Mod note

hip2dahop - asking for medical advice is not permitted on boards. If you are concerned about symptoms you should consult with you doctor.

Could I ask that posters use the report post button if they are concerned someone is seeking medical advice - neither asking for nor giving medical advice are permitted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement