Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

podcast player recommendations

• 26-03-2019 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭dougm1970

now that bbc has pulled all its podcasts from google podcast player....which was one of a few podcast apps i use on my adroid device....i thought i'd ask here if anyone knows which app has the largest podcast directory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gwildor

dougm1970 wrote: »
    now that bbc has pulled all its podcasts from google podcast player....which was one of a few podcast apps i use on my adroid device....i thought i'd ask here if anyone knows which app has the largest podcast directory.

Pocket Casts.
    Had its issues for a short while, but all good again after the last 2 updates. Has plenty of features and have yet to find a podcast that isn't on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Podcast Addict for me. Far and away the best podcast app for Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yep would recommend Pocket Casts too. Even when it had issues and I had looked for another there weren't any that came close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Podcast Republic for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I use podcast addict myself and it's always done the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭ Liv Mammoth Pi

Podcast addict is great but I find it buggy at times - does anyone else experience this? It could be my phone. Other than that it is top notch and would recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Google Podcasts is gone good enough that if they'd let me listen to Second Captains on it I'd be using it full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Very surprised not to see downcast mentioned here! Not sure if on Android but works a treat on iOS, highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Cienciano wrote: »
    Podcast Republic for me.

That's the one I use too. Not perfect but it's good. Search can be frustrating at times but apart from that I've no major concerns with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I used use AntennaPod.

Then I switched to podcast addict.

My only fault with podcast addict is that it uses up a lot of memory.

I delete the podcasts after listening - but find the app using a lot of memory.

Maybe I am subscribed to too many podcasts.

Apart from that podcast addict and antennapod are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭dougm1970

do all of the podcast players play adverts before and during podcasts these days.....is it the app adding them or the podcasts themselves ?
    i listened to 22 hours : an american podcast....and twice it played irish adverts.
    does a subscription based podcast player remove them ?

dougm1970 wrote: »
    do all of the podcast players play adverts before and during podcasts these days.....is it the app adding them or the podcasts themselves ?
    i listened to 22 hours : an american podcast....and twice it played irish adverts.
    does a subscription based podcast player remove them ?

haven't heard of a player putting in ads.

the one that I use certainly doesn't (podcast addict)

the ads are inserted into the particular podcast by the podcast creation company.

some are localised to location on download

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Coming to the end of a free Spotify subscription so looking at other apps.

Are there any good apps that do both podcasts and music? Paid subscription ok. Not iTunes as I'm on android.

Coming to the end of a free Spotify subscription so looking at other apps.

Are there any good apps that do both podcasts and music? Paid subscription ok. Not iTunes as I'm on android.

If a paid subscription is ok, why not just pay for Spotify? I had a hacked free version for a year, it was so good when it was blocked I was happy to pay for it.

But I don't use it for podcasts, Podcast Republic for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The best Android podcast app is called "sell your Android, buy an iPhone and use Overcast".

(I use both Android and iPhone. Listening to podcasts on Android is so painful because of the apps.)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Cienciano wrote: »
    If a paid subscription is ok, why not just pay for Spotify? I had a hacked free version for a year, it was so good when it was blocked I was happy to pay for it.

But I don't use it for podcasts, Podcast Republic for me.

Was just seeing if there was recommendations for anything else. Just signed up to premium (on an android phone).

Trojan wrote: »
    The best Android podcast app is called "sell your Android, buy an iPhone and use Overcast".

(I use both Android and iPhone. Listening to podcasts on Android is so painful because of the apps.)

tenor.gif

Was just seeing if there was recommendations for anything else. Just signed up to premium (on an android phone).

I think pocketcasts is the popular one, but Spotify is becoming very popular now. When I start listening to podcasts, Podcast Republic was the popular one on boards, so I used that and i'm happy with it. I download onto my phone on wifi every morning and evening. If I started to listen to podcasts now I'd probably stick with Spotify to cut down on an app

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Does anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone app? The native podcasts app just isn't doing it for me any more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

voldejoie wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an iPhone app? The native podcasts app just isn't doing it for me any more!

Yep, 100% Overcast. The best by a mile.

Advertisement