Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1996 Mazda Bongo Camper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just a quick update but I haven't really got much else done.

CVRT is up again next month so I have to replace the small window in the passenger door before test as it is smashed.

Other than that, I've only had a few bits done:
    I sprayed the centre-console to match the exterior
    447885.jpg

I also installed a kit which modifies the temperature gauge to react more to variations in temperature, includes a temperature warning LED and a two-colour LED for fuel level warnings.

Basically this involved soldering a resistor between two contacts behind the dash and also drilling holes for two the two LEDs and connecting these up to various contacts:
    447886.jpg

I now have a red light which illuminates when the temps get too high:
    447888.jpg

447887.jpg

And the other LED turns orange when fuel is low and then red when its really low.

As you can see from the pics, the van is almost up to 175k km. I've put just shy of 26,000km on it in just over two years since I got it. In that time it's only managed about 24mpg or a cost of 14c per km. Hard enough on the pocket but it's cheap to tax and insure so it's all good :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bailenasi72

Hi I've just come across this great thread so it will take me a while to get up to date so please forgive my jumping straight in, but I've put down a deposit on a bongo in England which is being converted at the moment and I hope to be bringing it back to Ireland in the near future. Is there anyone in this group that has done this that might be able to give me any tips or suggestions on how to steer clear of any pitfalls that I might of over looked regarding insuring it for the trip home or registering it for vrt etc. TIÁ.

No worries, all Bongo discussion is welcome!
    Have you seen the bongo in person? There are a number of common pitfalls that I would want to be inspecting first-hand before committing to a purchase or paying for a conversion!
    I haven't got any experience of the importing issue but if you have a reasonably hi-spec conversion there should be no issues with VRT and revenue (other than the cost!) and you shouldn't have much bother getting insurance. There are a number of options for insurance: Stuarts, Dolmen and Richardsons all do campervan policies or you can get vintage insurance (depending on the year of your van). Some of the companies have specific requirements (different to revenue) and will for e.g. not insure a van without a walkway from the front seats to the rear.
    Any more questions fire away!

I haven’t seen the van and this goes against my natural instinct. But I have been researching bongos for some months now and through my research I found a highly recommended company called Japanese Auto Locators. When I picked a van from their stock they sent me pictures of the engine and underneath which I showed to my mechanic and he seemed to think all was fine. This company is also converting the van for me so it will be a camper van on the logbook and unless I’ve missed something obvious there should be no problem when registering as a campervan here in Ireland. I will try and read through this thread to pick up any bits of information I can but in the meantime if anyone could give me any tips they would be very much appreciated by this novice! For example a good bongo mechanic in the West! Thanks again.

Update time:

Made it through the CVRT again so finally got around to getting a set of alloys.
    453913.jpg
    453914.jpg
    They're off an i40. Took the centre caps off and painted them... blue - to match everything else!
    453915.jpg
    453916.jpg
    453917.jpg

• Advertisement

Does anyone want a full size steel rim to use as a spare? I have two going a begging (need tyres) after getting the alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Does anyone want a full size steel rim to use as a spare? I have two going a begging (need tyres) after getting the alloys.

If I could that'd be great - my spare tyre perished. No idea where I can get it fixed. Unless anyone can help me with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I could that'd be great - my spare tyre perished. No idea where I can get it fixed. Unless anyone can help me with that?

If the tre is perished, you need a new tyre. I think the size is T135/90 D15 which would mean you can swap the space saver TYRE (not wheel and tyre) from a different car.

Some Hondas use this size spare:

00-05 Civic
    All years FR-V
    03-08 Accord

I'm away for the next week but after that if you're in Dublin you can have the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Hey Simona1986, great thread, thanks for all the info. I’m aiming to get a Bongo in the next few months. The pictures from the first few pages have fallen off. Do you have them in a public album anywhere else that I could see them please?
    Cheers.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement

Anyone know what's gone on with the older pictures? I don't fancy trying to find all the appropriate images and re-hosting them!

In other news, my modified temp gauge & low coolant alarm have paid for themselves already - I was going mountain biking up in Ticknock a few weeks back, just as I was pulling into the car park (after coming up some very steep hills), the LED lit up and I noted the temp gauge was right up to the H, seconds later the coolant alarm went off and I pulled over to see coolant pissing out beneath the van. Long story short, AA, tow truck and into the garage who replaced one of the coolant hoses.

I've now lost faith in the remaining hoses so I'm going to go about giving the whole coolant system an overhaul. I've picked up a new radiator and I'm going to order a full set of hoses, waterpump and thermostat and change the whole lot. I'm hoping the two long metal coolant pipes are in good condition as they're pricey to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

I haven’t seen the van and this goes against my natural instinct. But I have been researching bongos for some months now and through my research I found a highly recommended company called Japanese Auto Locators. When I picked a van from their stock they sent me pictures of the engine and underneath which I showed to my mechanic and he seemed to think all was fine. This company is also converting the van for me so it will be a camper van on the logbook and unless I’ve missed something obvious there should be no problem when registering as a campervan here in Ireland. I will try and read through this thread to pick up any bits of information I can but in the meantime if anyone could give me any tips they would be very much appreciated by this novice! For example a good bongo mechanic in the West! Thanks again.
    hi there, wondering did you source mechanic in galway....

WM18 wrote: »
    hi there, wondering did you source mechanic in galway....

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back, at the moment I'm using my local mechanic who is more comfortable working on older cars, so that has worked out well but he has only serviced it so far and hasn't had to deal with anything major. To be honest I'd like to talk to a mechanic who has work on bongos to look it over.

Nolan mechanical services, glenrock business park,galway, Joe is very familiar with bongos and has worked on various petrols and diesels over the years. Great mechanic, worth a call..

Hi sorry for the delay in getting back, at the moment I'm using my local mechanic who is more comfortable working on older cars, so that has worked out well but he has only serviced it so far and hasn't had to deal with anything major. To be honest I'd like to talk to a mechanic who has work on bongos to look it over.

The only part that's strange really is the coolant system and the bleeding of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭RandomUsername

Nolan mechanical services, glenrock business park,galway, Joe is very familiar with bongos and has worked on various petrols and diesels over the years. Great mechanic, worth a call..

Another vote for Joe, I've a feeling he had one at one stage

*Post Edited - don't know what went wrong with the links to dropbox?*
    So I haven't updated this thread in a long time!

Some pics of the van in use:
    482738.jpeg
    Summer festivals last year.
    482739.jpeg

Biking in NI:
    482741.jpeg

Very handy when not being used as a camper!
    482742.jpeg

Will be taking the setup below across to Glastonbury in two weeks, apprehensive and excited in equal measure!
    482740.jpeg

Wedding duty:
    482743.jpeg
    482744.jpeg

I also got new headlight bulbs and polished the lenses, big improvement!
    Before:
    482745.jpeg
    After:
    482746.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Simona1986 wrote: »
    So I haven't updated this thread in a long time!

Some pics of the van in use:
    Might be just me, but there's no images showing? :confused:

Top Dog wrote: »
    Might be just me, but there's no images showing? :confused:

God damn it, it was working for me on the laptop earlier but they're not showing on my phone now either. I'll have another look tomorrow!

• Advertisement

There was one pick earlier at a festival it looked like....

Also, have done a good bit of work in the meantime, mainly maintenance related though and I haven't been great at documenting it all.

As I mentioned before, one of the coolant hoses split:
    482748.jpeg
    I lost faith in the remainder of them so I got most of them replaced.
    482749.jpeg
    My mechanic didn't change the ones connected to the metal pipes leading to the rear heater as the ends of those pipes were quite corroded. Replacements are about €300 all in for the metal pipes so I haven't replaced these. Also replaced the thermostat, water pump and timing belt, spring and pulley while he was it. I also picked up a new radiator but mechanic said the existing was fine after flushing it and a few of the mounting points were a bit rusty so thought better to leave as-is.

I've also finally replaced the leisure battery and upgraded the split charger (not shown in the picture):
    482750.jpeg

Put the van through the CVRT again this year but had an intermittent issue with the driver window not opening, which failed it. I knew the cause was the wiring in the jam of the driver door so I got a loom repair kit online from the uk and got that repaired:
    482751.jpeg
    482752.jpeg

Which worked perfectly and the central locking is now working again :)

In advance of our glastonbury trip, I've just changed the air filter and I've a new fuel filter but haven't got around to changing it yet.

Mechanically, the van is good now but I'm in two minds weather I should spend more money on getting the interior kitted out. I would like to get the seats and headliners etc reupholstered and get a new floor covering put in but it's hard to know with the way diesels are going in terms of emissions zones in Europe etc whether it is worth spending the money or not. I don't want to end up spending a few k and having the van looking great but not being allowed to use it in cities and it eventually being banned in Ireland. I'm hoping it will keep going until I can afford an ID Buzz!

See from the pics you were at ATN last year.....ill say hello this year all going well, G REG SILVER 2.5D

See from the pics you were at ATN last year.....ill say hello this year all going well, G REG SILVER 2.5D

Ah shame, I won't be there myself but the van will be there so drop in. I always make a point of dragging my OH for a walk around the campervans and normally get chatting to at least one bongo owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I see the cuts in the wiring in the door jam, Thats usually done for theft purpores. they cut the loom hoping the door will unlock. May not be the case here but very common.

listermint wrote: »
    I see the cuts in the wiring in the door jam, Thats usually done for theft purpores. they cut the loom hoping the door will unlock. May not be the case here but very common.

Don't think that was the case, you could see some of the wires were degraded but not yet broken and others had completely parted.

Made it to glastonbury anyway!

484720.jpg

484721.jpg

484722.jpg

484723.jpg

Since getting back, have changed the oil and filter and the fuel filter and I changed the air filter before we left.

Rust bubbles are starting to show on both the rear arches and in one or two small other sections. I reckon I will get the arches replaced after the summer.

I got some blue rubber strips to accentuate the air vents also, was about €2 on ebay - impulse purchase.

484727.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've read a lot of this thread. Such a pity a lot of the photos are gone.

It occurs to me that one should really have a fair bit of technical/mechanical knowledge before taking on a camper that's 20-odd years old. If you had to hire someone to do all that you have described it probably would be very expensive.

Are you self taught? I'd love to spend the next few years learning and then get one. How would one learn such a trade part time? I already checked and there's no nightcourse around me. Would books/ YouTube work??

dory wrote: »
    I've read a lot of this thread. Such a pity a lot of the photos are gone.

It occurs to me that one should really have a fair bit of technical/mechanical knowledge before taking on a camper that's 20-odd years old. If you had to hire someone to do all that you have described it probably would be very expensive.

Are you self taught? I'd love to spend the next few years learning and then get one. How would one learn such a trade part time? I already checked and there's no nightcourse around me. Would books/ YouTube work??

I have all of the photos on a Dropbox album, I'll try remember to pm you a link tomorrow and you may be able to follow them. I enquired about editing the posts to have them reappear but only mods have the permissions and it's too much hassle to ask one to do it.

There's a bit to keeping an older vehicle on the road alright but there's a bit to maintaining a brand new motorhome also. These are simple vehicles (except for the cooling system particulars) so are easily worked on by any mechanic really or body shop for the corrosion things.

I have absolutely no training or qualification whatsoever, I've just followed guides online, YouTube etc and am not afraid of giving something a go, particularly with an old / relatively inexpensive vehicle like these.

If you do get one, the annual CVRT and a yearly service in line with the maintenance intervals should keep them ticking over without any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

dory wrote: »

Not sure where you are dory but Ringsend College and Cabinteely College do a night course. I did a few years ago. Very good instructor and learned a lot.
    https://www.ringsendcollege.ie/page.php?id=27&title=Course%20List

Car Mechanics Magazine is a good resource for the DIYer in general. I pick up lots of tips and ideas in it.

There's Hilliers Motor Vehicle Technology and Haynes do some generic manuals too.

Cui bono?

Advertisement