Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today something made me realise I was getting older

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

looksee wrote: »
    I seem to recall my 40s were hard work, lots of kinda feeling decrepit and - oh I don't know, just hard work. I don't have nearly as much energy now and the last few years were pretty dire, but now things are settling down I feel as though I have relaxed into myself. Or something.
    sounds really good the way you express that. not sure relaxing into myself is so good for me though, but everyone is different x:)

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    You're just a whippersnapper that is out of condition! If you do a bit of exercise, walking or whatever you'll snap back into better fitness. You'll soon be able to weed the garden without any misery.

I tell myself that every time I think about my younger days. :(
    I'm far from old but it definitely gave me a Grampa Simpson moment recently. My teenage sister tells me "ugh, you just... wouldn't get it", accompanied by a dramatic eye roll, with a look of digust. Honestly, I thought that line was reserved for parents. I guess they changed what 'It' was.

it will get worse ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The girl in a shop today commented on how it was cooler today. "It must be great for old people when the temperature drops and you're not suffering from the heat as much". A. I love the heat, long may it last. B. It just made me feel old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Am I missing something here???

I was getting older smarter...

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I never did sadly :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Leaving your socks on in bed is a better choice than trying to put them on in the morning. It's very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Went for a haircut and the barber finishes and says
    WILL I DO YOUR EYEBROWS. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Am I missing something here???

Apparently. OP isn't getting older, OP is getting smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When comfortable shoes and elasticated waists became high fashion for me..... I knew then!

But I don't care. Mostly we are invisible anyway. So now and then I don a flourescent pink/green/orange item of clothing. Heck I even scare myself with that sometimes!

Oh and more than one wedding or late night every six months means a lengthy recovery period. But it's worth it. If it wasn't I'd slink off to the leaba and no one would miss me at all. I have learned to accept this!

The third age is great for just doing your own thing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh and another thing, getting a ban or an infraction here is a rite of passage and a badge of honour too.

I can be full of vitriol now and then, with good reason, but someone obviously younger than me often takes umbrage. Cue the infraction email. I love it. I'm alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Alice1

I fell and broke my arm two weeks ago. The nice young doctor at the hospital shook his head and said "well you look very youthful, but your bones know the truth". I've decided that it was a (back handed) compliment

I have been given an emergency button for when I fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rubecula wrote: »
    I have been given an emergency button for when I fall over.

Lol, I have been threatened!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Better to have to carry the button around than being stuck on the ground with no way of getting up. It's a small consolation, I know. :/

it is a bit embarrassing but I prefer to have it than not I have fallen a lot recently so it is good to have a way of summoning help if I ever hurt myself

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can also use to summon people to bring you tea, or to fetch the remote when it's slightly too far to reach but you don't want to get up, or to make you a sandwich, scratch your back, etc.

Try it, you'll be the most popular person in your household! :D

I've been doing a good bit of wandering around overgrown woodland and - yes - falling over. Hence the threat. We have compromised on having my phone with me. I do find that in those circumstances a walking stick is a great advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Heard Madonna was 60 today....feel old

Oh, hang on, is that a clue?

• Advertisement

mine goes direct to medical centre 24/7 so I would be pushing the popularity a bit lol lol

Riiight. Maybe not a good idea, so.

My mum had one and refused to wear it till she fell in the hall of her apartment and was stuck there for several hours. Fortunately in a warm apartment, uninjured and on a good carpet. Put manners on her though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

An elderly relative had a fall quite hear his home, couldn't get up, nobody around, so he used his mobile phone to call his daughter who lives about a 10 minute drive away. Its a lesson to us all to carry some form of emergency communication at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think posting in this forum for probably the first time means I'm getting on a bit lol.

Right for me its medications.

I'm very fit, strong and active. I'm a competitive Judoka (Judo), I jog 5km most days. Cycle, lift weights and swim so I'm always on the go.

But since turning 50 I now own a medicine cabinet and have a daily medicine box in the kitchen for my morning meds and one at my bed for night time.

I'm now on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy. Guys if you haven't been tested ask the doc to test your levels. Its very important for all kinds of reasons but going on TRT has felt like the clock getting turned back twenty years).. I'm on a tablet for gout, Metformin for diabetes (type II 18 months now) and last week I'm on Lipitor now for high cholesterol.

Oh and I need reading glasses now.

Physically there's nothing I can't do now that I could do when I was half my age, and in fact I'm fitter than most half my age.. But emotionally I've been suffering with anxiety & insomnia for no apparent reason's.

And sometimes I'm scared that I've lived more than half my life years now, and stupidly I count what I might have left. Completely ridiculous I know, but these things didn't happen at any other time in my life but these are the things which remind me that I'm getting older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Alice1

Hello Makikomi, might be worth checking with your doc about drug interaction. Anxiety and insomnia are hard to live with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Alice1 wrote: »
    Hello Makikomi, might be worth checking with your doc about drug interaction. Anxiety and insomnia are hard to live with

Oh I've had anxiety and insomnia long before I had this cocktail of meds lol.

Started off after a tour in Lebanon, I was diagnosed with ''PTSD due to combat experiences in Lebanon'.

The insomnia went away for a long time, then came back in my late 40's and of course the Doc latched onto the PTSD issue and couldn't see past it.

Anyway that all sounds like its a bigger deal than it all is, so back to the thread.

Thanks all the same :D

I'm thankful at least that physically I'm in great shape.

Does a preference to sit down at concerts now instead of booking stand area tickets mean I'm getting on a bit?.. 'Cause that's what I do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I can barely stand at a bus stop for ten minutes these days without my back giving me gyp! I'm so glad I'm past the standing-at-concerts-stage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Well, I've reached that roundy number that dictates that I had to go form in hand to my GP to be certified as fit to drive. Can't believe it as I still feel 20 in my head :)

Thankfully, she gave me a shocked look when I asked her to fill in the form and said that she hopes she'll be in as good shape when she's that roundy number, took some of the sting out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sheer mythology is that!
    No it isnt for someone only in their 40s.

Advertisement