Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chat/general discussion thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭Evade

The Bam/Yoru thing really throws me in Tower of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

More series being postponed. Food Wars is not being broadcast past the 3rd episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Yeah my hero finished solidly!

I've always wanted to take a look at one piece but almost 900 odd episodes leaves me thinking it's pointless ��

Tower of god has been pretty good so far.. Still perplexed that one of the main characters may be named after a man City striker ��

It does seem daunting. It did to me when I started and it was on 720ish. But, get a guide to skip the filler episodes. There's about 100 or more at least, and honestly, once the arc kicks into full gear (usually half way through), you won't be able to stop watching until it's over. Took me a solid 3 months of nothing but anime with the odd few hours of gaming inbetween, but it even stopped me gaming, which is a first.

Granted, after watching Demon Slayer, OP doesn't hold up as well, but when OP shines, it shines! Long time investment, but well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Cotts72

It does seem daunting. It did to me when I started and it was on 720ish. But, get a guide to skip the filler episodes. There's about 100 or more at least, and honestly, once the arc kicks into full gear (usually half way through), you won't be able to stop watching until it's over. Took me a solid 3 months of nothing but anime with the odd few hours of gaming inbetween, but it even stopped me gaming, which is a first.

Granted, after watching Demon Slayer, OP doesn't hold up as well, but when OP shines, it shines! Long time investment, but well worth it!

Buddy of mine told me about bleach kai (bleach being another show I need to watch) whereby they've cut out filler stuff and Condensed it into 28 episodes. Anything similar around for One Piece

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Buddy of mine told me about bleach kai (bleach being another show I need to watch) whereby they've cut out filler stuff and Condensed it into 28 episodes. Anything similar around for One Piece

One of the fillers arcs was good, unlike most of them for most shows it was actually written but the author. Zanpakutō Rebellion add that if it's not already on it.

While there are non manga filler in One Piece they're usually 2/3 episodes and most are in keeping with the show and start at appropriate points. The only ones that come out of left field are usually movie tie ins.

Main problem with OP is that stuff is that like the manga a fight could be 5 episodes/chapters. You can't cut it out really.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Main problem with OP is that stuff is that like the manga a fight could be 5 episodes/chapters. You can't cut it out really.

I haven't watched any of the Dragon Ball anime, well, because I can't start main character squeaky voices. But a mate who has seen them says even OP doesn't hold up to the length of battles in DB. After Luffy fought
    Doflamingo
    I said DB will definitely not be for me. That was the only one that felt really long to me, others were long but didn't feel so. But even that fight was epic enough to keep me interested! I just love how Luffy powers up. Really well done.

Just finished rewatching Shield Hero again. It really is fantastic, and with Crunchyroll confirming seasons 2 and 3 are happening there not too long ago, I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Definitely turning into a season to clear your backlog.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1251147766048251905

Edit: Won't embed due to Boards stupid profanity filter as s**t appears in an inprofane context in the embeddable url.

States all series except Bookworm S2 and My Life as a Villainess will not run to completion this season.

Summer will probably be light too unless there's some serious crunch once everything starts back up.

If anyone wants to watch Rebuild of Eva on hard mode they've been legally uploaded to Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Evade wrote: »
    Summer will probably be light too unless there's some serious crunch once everything starts back up.

If anyone wants to watch Rebuild of Eva on hard mode they've been legally uploaded to Youtube.

As someone who has a preference for dubs this lock down has been rough.

It looks like some Japanese TV stations will be showing reruns next season since there won't be much new anime. Fingers crossed it could drum up interest for new seasons of whatever is being shown.

• Advertisement

It looks like some Japanese TV stations will be showing reruns next season since there won't be much new anime. Fingers crossed it could drum up interest for new seasons of whatever is being shown.

Some new Fist of the North Star wouldn't go a miss or Vampire Hunter D

Some new Fist of the North Star wouldn't go a miss or Vampire Hunter D
    I don't think they're going back that far.

I don't think they're going back that far.

I had guessed that. Cant think of any real modern anime I would want extra seasons to, maybe Baki but as that's Netflix but id say it will get more seasons anyway.

I usually keep an eye on what's coming on netflix and set reminders but phone just beeped telling I might be interested in something as netflix is know to do (usually it happens a few days after I've already bindged what it was.)

A new Ghost in the shell, SAC 2045. not heard anything about this.

I'd love some more Yuru Yuri, Asobi Asobase, Wotakoi, Non Non Byori, New Game, or Servant x Service.

I guess I really like slice of life.

I usually keep an eye on what's coming on netflix and set reminders but phone just beeped telling I might be interested in something as netflix is know to do (usually it happens a few days after I've already bindged what it was.)

Its CGI, Netflix is known for doing half decent CGI but getting Berserk 2016 vibes from this, looks like a Dragon Quest trailer, very cartoony looking, haven't watched yet but just seen the trailer.

It's a continuation of Stand Alone Complex, the same English cast too though the dub isn't up yet as it is incomplete. Already renewed for season 2.

If you haven't watched the original series it is available on Funimation Now. The bd set of both seasons is really cheap too, about €40 for 52 episodes.

It's a continuation of Stand Alone Complex, the same English cast too though the dub isn't up yet as it is incomplete. Already renewed for season 2.

If you haven't watched the original series it is available on Funimation Now. The bd set of both seasons is really cheap too, about €40 for 52 episodes.

Not 100% sure if I've the bd already for anything but I definitely have the DVDs at least already. With the exception of arise.

Psycho Pass is the new GITS, Arise and SAC was a bit of a disappointment.

Psycho Pass apart from S1 is awful, SAC is also GitS at its best.

• Advertisement

SAC 1, 2, and SSS are all good. I'm just starting the first episode of 2045.

EDIT: The OP is no Inner Universe or Rise.

No new Tachikomatic Days.

SAC 1, 2, and SSS are all good. I'm just starting the first episode of 2045.

EDIT: The OP is no Inner Universe or Rise.

I understood Psycho Pass, but lost on the rest!

I understood Psycho Pass, but lost on the rest!

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. SSS is it's ova movie Solid State Society.

Netflix is getting One Piece, or at least all the English speaking countries except the UK & Ireland are. Up to the Alabasta arc.

Netflix is getting One Piece, or at least all the English speaking countries except the UK & Ireland are. Up to the Alabasta arc.

You can blame Toei Europe for that. Most Toei shows were left languishing without legal means of viewing outside of importation due to their insistence that their shows must be broadcast on tv. We finally got a legal stream of One Piece a decade after the US.

Don't forget that crazy time Toei sold the UK rights for Dragon Ball to a French company that had no intention of releasing it. Said French company then tried to sell the rights to Manga for double the amount they paid.

After the first four episodes of GITS SAC 2045 it's OK. The CGI takes some getting used to, it reminds me of one of the Appleseed movies, and it could use more shading.

I guess that animation must be cheap but ye it looks weird.

If they cel shaded it then it might look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

I've heard great things about Psycho Pass. I haven't seen any Ghost In The Shell other than the original and Innocence (which I own both on Blu-Ray). I was thinking of picking up Stand Alone Complex, but I may see Psycho Pass first and check it out later.
    Don't forget that crazy time Toei sold the UK rights for Dragon Ball to a French company that had no intention of releasing it. Said French company then tried to sell the rights to Manga for double the amount they paid.

AB Groupe did release DBZ movies 2-4 on VHS and DVD back in the day, but they were the Big Green dub so unless your a collector those releases weren't really worth it. My biggest issue with AB is the fact they never released the later Ocean and Blue Water dubs. Granted Manga UK have refused to release them too, but as they have established themselves as an import company it would have been much easier if there was an existing box set for them to repackage.

• Advertisement

UI_Paddy wrote: »
    I've heard great things about Psycho Pass. I haven't seen any Ghost In The Shell other than the original and Innocence (which I own both on Blu-Ray). I was thinking of picking up Stand Alone Complex, but I may see Psycho Pass first and check it out later.

AB Groupe did release DBZ movies 2-4 on VHS and DVD back in the day, but they were the Big Green dub so unless your a collector those releases weren't really worth it. My biggest issue with AB is the fact they never released the later Ocean and Blue Water dubs. Granted Manga UK have refused to release them too, but as they have established themselves as an import company it would have been much easier if there was an existing box set for them to repackage.

There is no home video version of the Ocean or Blue Water dubs, which were only broadcast in the UK and Canada, there is also no uncut version available unlike the Funimation version. This would make it a hell of a lot more expensive to produce.

Also don't forget that as of last summer Manga Entertainment is a subsidiary of Funimation.

As for them being an import company the only dubs that Manga UK have created since the 90s are GitS: Innocence and Millennium Actress. Anime Limited have regularly commissioned dubs for movies they have the rights to through Bang Zoom and NYAV such as for Mai Mai Miracle and A Silent Voice. There's no profit in dubbing anymore either as the dub becomes the property of the production committee upon the costs being recouped.

Advertisement