Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I'd recommend Galaxie 500-On Fire to anyone; really great American shoegaze-y stuff from the late '80s.

I agree. But I'd go with their first album, Today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

I agree. But I'd go with their first album, Today.

Haven't listened to that yet but I'll be sure to give it a go, cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Listening to Brothers by the Black Keys here on NPR. . Any stand out tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Listening to Brothers by the Black Keys here on NPR. . Any stand out tracks.

You tell us, you're the one listening to it aren't you?

I'd like to recommend In my tribe by 10,000 maniacs. Natalie Merchant has one of the most authentic voices around.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd like to recommend In my tribe by 10,000 maniacs. Natalie Merchant has one of the most authentic voices around.

You should check out Mermain Avenue by Wilco and Billy Bragg. NM sings on a song on it and it is just lovely.

Quite an interesting back story for the album as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Mc Lars - This Gigantic Robot Kills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Here's some albums I'd recommend for people to listen to. Tried to stick to the non-obvious ones, if I'd have done that the entire list would have been made up of The Smiths and Radohead :pac:

Heavens To Betsy - Calculated
    Stumbled across this band by accident a few months ago. Great riot grrl stuff from Corin Tucker before Sleator-Kinney :) Stand out tracks for me would be Stay Away and Ascemen.

Patrick Wolf - Lycanthropy
    Brilliant album, kind of a folky/electronica mix. He's a really inventive musician imo. Don't Say No and Lycanthropy are my faves off it.

The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls
    One of my favourite bands, and one of my favourite albums too! Amanda Palmer's voice can be a bit annoying at first, but her lyrics are great, if not a bit odd :p Bad Habit and Half Jack are the best songs off it I think, but listening Coin-Operated Boy is probably the best intro you could have to them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ceduffy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

lordgoat wrote: »
    You should check out Mermain Avenue by Wilco and Billy Bragg. NM sings on a song on it and it is just lovely.

Quite an interesting back story for the album as well.

I got the Man in the Sand documentary as a Christmas present last year and it's an excellent film.

• Advertisement

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I got the Man in the Sand documentary as a Christmas present last year and it's an excellent film.

I have pretty much everything woody guthrie/wilco but thanks, and i agree it is top notch.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I have pretty much everything woody guthrie/wilco but thanks, and i agree it is top notch.
    Every hear Alices Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie. Brother was very fond of playing that to me in my youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Every hear Alices Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie. Brother was very fond of playing that to me in my youth.

You can get anything you want as long as you don't mix up Arlo and Woody Guthrie at Alice's Restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

I recently have become a huge fan of the 90's music scene such as Radiohead,Tool,Nirvana,My Bloody Valentine,The Smashing Pumpkins and numerous other.Can anyone recommend some stuff?Hopefully this shall turn into a cool forum where people can find new favourite bands and others can brag about their knowledge of alternative acts :D

If you're starting a thread called 'best act of the 90's' you really need to tell us who you think the best act of that decade are.

Have a read of a few threads in the forum, you'll see that it's fairly active and people are actively recommending new and old bands to each other all the time.

If you're starting a thread called 'best act of the 90's' you really need to tell us who you think the best act of that decade are.

Have a read of a few threads in the forum, you'll see that it's fairly active and people are actively recommending new and old bands to each other all the time.
    I did see above those are my best 90's acts.I wanted a specific forum for alternative 90's music.I looked for one and din't find any so I started this forum.

Sash and Robert Sanchez...

Actually i'm going to merge this into the recommend me an album thread if it turns into a list thread. I'm giving it a day before i do it.

/pedant you didn't start a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

MrSir wrote: »
    I recently have become a huge fan of the 90's music scene such as Radiohead,Tool,Nirvana,My Bloody Valentine,The Smashing Pumpkins and numerous other.Can anyone recommend some stuff?Hopefully this shall turn into a cool forum where people can find new favourite bands and others can brag about their knowledge of alternative acts :D

First post here I think:)
    Alice in chains
    Placebo

Chuileog wrote: »
    First post here I think:)
    Alice in chains
    Placebo

Can you recommend an album from either band?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Here's a few bands to check out based on your taste:

The God Machine
    They released two albums and an EP in the early 90s before their bass player died. Their two albums Scenes From The Second Storey and One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying are sprawling epics, and are both heavy in parts and also quiet and emotionally intense. If you like Tool you'll love them.

Slowdive
    The next shoegaze band to try after My Bloody Valentine. They have a more softer and dreamier sound than MBV and their albums are just as good. Try their second album Souvlaki.

Pavement
    One of the most important and influential indie bands of the 90's. Their lo-fi production combined with memorable tunes is a winning formula. Try Slanted and Enchanted or Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain.

Pixies
    Ok they released their best material in the 80's but Doolittle and Surfer Rosa are essential. And they were one of the biggest influences on Nirvana.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Here's a few bands to check out based on your taste:

The God Machine
    They released two albums and an EP in the early 90s before their bass player died. Their two albums Scenes From The Second Storey and One Last Laugh In A Place Of Dying are sprawling epics, and are both heavy in parts and also quiet and emotionally intense. If you like Tool you'll love them.

Slowdive
    The next shoegaze band to try after My Bloody Valentine. They have a more softer and dreamier sound than MBV and their albums are just as good. Try their second album Souvlaki.

Pavement
    One of the most important and influential indie bands of the 90's. Their lo-fi production combined with memorable tunes is a winning formula. Try Slanted and Enchanted or Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain.

Pixies
    Ok they released their best material in the 80's but Doolittle and Surfer Rosa are essential. And they were one of the biggest influences on Nirvana.
    Wow thanks I know the pixies they're great but haven't heard of these other guys.Can't wait to listen to em'. :D

Can you recommend an album from either band?
    For Alice in Chains I'd recommend Dirt.Placebo's style is so varied you would probably be best off listening to a handful off each album seeing which one you personaly like the most.

Zero1986 thank you.After listening to these bands I think you just changed my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoin_mulhern

sonic youth-goo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Zero1986 thank you.After listening to these bands I think you just changed my life.
    No problem :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Conceited Cat

If you like the Pixies you might also like Modest Mouse. Check out "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" and "Good News for People Who Love Bad News".

If you like the Pixies you might also like Modest Mouse. Check out "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" and "Good News for People Who Love Bad News".
    Yes they're pretty awesome.Always meant to listen to them but never really gotten around to it.Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Here's a few more from the 90's you might like...

Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion
    Sugar - Copper Blue
    Buffalo Tom - Let me come over
    Primal Scream - Vanishing Point
    Girls Against Boys - Venus Luxure No. 1 Baby
    Superchunk - Tossing Seeds (Singles 89-91)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

For Alice in Chains I'd recommend Dirt.Placebo's style is so varied you would probably be best off listening to a handful off each album seeing which one you personaly like the most.
    What he said.

Advertisement