Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone still have an old/vintage analog Sky TV viewing card?

• 16-04-2021 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone still have an old/vintage analog Sky TV viewing card? The ones used in the 90s to watch Sky with a videocrypt decoder. I know it has been 20 years but some people have had the luck to find the m for sale online.

Please let me know!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Stefanvl wrote: »
    Does anyone still have an old/vintage analog Sky TV viewing card? The ones used in the 90s to watch Sky with a videocrypt decoder. I know it has been 20 years but some people have had the luck to find the m for sale online.

Please let me know!

Please enlighten me as to what use these cards, if found, could be put to.

Just wondering ...

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Spn744

Please enlighten me as to what use these cards, if found, could be put to.

Just wondering ...

Some allow recording without a sky subscription which gives them value.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Spn744 wrote: »

Firstly, viewing cards are Sky property and discussing the sale and purchase of them here isn’t permitted

Second of all I think you must be mistaken if you think an analogue Sky viewing card will do anything in a Sky digital receiver. They use completely different encryption systems - Videocrypt instead of VideoGuard. Willing to be corrected on that. Even an out of sub U.K. Sky Digital viewing card shouldn’t enable recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Spn744 wrote: »

Nonsense. The Sky Analogue (videocrypt) cards do nothing in a Sky Digital box.
    The only thing that an expired Sky Digital Card will do, AFAIK, is maybe select a different EPG. It won't enable recording on FTA channels.

I can't imagine what use a Sky Analogue (videocrypt) card is now. Some people simply collect cards. So collection value only. Sky certainly won't care about the old Sky Analogue (videocrypt) cards.

It's certainly theft or fraud to sell a current working Sky videoguard card.

As I understand it ...

This is a hobby scheme to produce encrypted video on PC and send to an old Sky Analogue box. You would need
    A Sky Analogue Receiver (videocrypt) and card
    Hackrf One SDR
    HackTV - analogue TV transmitter software

This should explain things somewhat
    https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/hacktv-analogue-tv-transmitter.177352/

I am sure it is fun to play with, if that stuff interests you.
    The source input can be any video file that ffmpeg can handle.

I see nothing illegal or dodgy, in sending a suitably encrypted video from your PC to your old Sky Analogue receiver, unless there is some difficulty in the encryption software which is open source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭swoofer

Yes, I have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But why bother encrypting on your own cable?

watty wrote: »
    But why bother encrypting on your own cable?

I wondered that too, and came to conclusion that one would do it as a educational exercise maybe ......

Advertisement