Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ergonomic Keyboard for MAC

Options
  • 14-04-2021 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an ergonomic keyboard for the MAC, as apple seem to completely ignore that this is an actual thing that people need.

I'm currently using the Magic Keyboard as it's small form factor suits my desk space. However the offerings that seem to have any sort of style are pants.

The Microsoft Sculpt is around the closest, but it doesn't support bluetooth so I'd need a usb c hub to support the usb dongle in it. Totally pointless.

The Surface Ergonomic certainly seems to have the same look and feel as the magic keyboard, supports bluetooth but has a poxy number pad which means that I don't have space for a mouse as a result.

Same deal with the Logitech K860 - Poxy numberpad on the right, though it does seem to be more os agnostic.

Anyone know of any decent ergonomic keyboard that might suit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

All of those keyboards are gimmicky crap. Get yourself a good mechanical keyboard if you want a good typing experience.

Do you have any specific issues that would require an ergonomic keyboard? I don't have any issue with using a regular straight row design.

Seems more unnatural and uncomfortable to tilt my arms or hands to fit those keyboard designs rather than having them straight at my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ergonomic keyboards aren't as great as they sound, and there's been a fair few studies that have proved they don't prevent RSI or other injuries vs a decent keyboard with a proper seating position.

If I was you I'd look at something like the Keychron K6 https://candykeys.com/product/keychron-k6-iso-uk and pick up a decent wooden wrist rest.

If you don't get on with it you should be able to sell it on adverts and the likes no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

BloodBath wrote: »
    Do you have any specific issues that would require an ergonomic keyboard? I don't have any issue with using a regular straight row design.

Noticing a soreness in my right hand from time to time lately and I think it's related. Not RSI specifically but possibly a symptom of strain

For context, I'm a software developer so I'd be using it 8 hours a day. Working from home and I have a smaller than standard desk space, hence no number pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Do you have a good desk (i.e. standard 75-76 cm height) & high quality chair?

Contact santos on Adverts to buy a used Leap V1 or similar: https://www.adverts.ie/member/438007/ads

If you can fit it in the gaff, I'd also suggest looking at Flying Elephant desks: https://www.flyingelephant.ie/products/wfh-range

And do these exercises:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Do you have a good desk (i.e. standard 75-76 cm height) & high quality chair?

Contact santos on Adverts to buy a used Leap V1 or similar: https://www.adverts.ie/member/438007/ads

If you can fit it in the gaff, I'd also suggest looking at Flying Elephant desks: https://www.flyingelephant.ie/products/wfh-range

And do these exercises:

Yeah, I have a proper desk, it's just not the full width as an office desk. Work have also provided me with a proper office chair while this thing is going on.

• Advertisement

If you can't fit a regular sized keyboard with decent mouse movement space then you don't have a big enough desk.

I thought it was a programmers sin not to have a numpad on your keyboard.

BloodBath wrote: »
    If you can't fit a regular sized keyboard with decent mouse movement space then you don't have a big enough desk.

I thought it was a programmers sin not to have a numpad on your keyboard.

I have numbers across the top of the normal keypad. Why do I need the same keys repeated again in another block? It's a waste of space and it means my hand has to travel further to reach the mouse from the keyboard. I've always thought they're pointless unless you work with numbers extensively

I use a small form factor keyboard myself but mainly because I want more mouse space without having your arms/hands a mile apart. That's mainly a gaming thing though.

As a programmer I'd imagine you use numbers and mathematical operators a lot. The keypad is better in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Depends what your programming tbh, whilst I like having it I could manage without. I would say numpad more important for a lot of admin type roles.
    I've Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard (That's right sweet-heart, ergonomic management keyboard) which I do find pretty comfy.
    I would be tempted by a tenkeyless one but would at least want my proper arrow and home/pgup keys.
    Did try mechanical before but wasn't mad on it, might try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What mouse do you use? It's probably causing the pain in the right wrist if your on it a lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement