Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend an Android Tablet

• 10-04-2021 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2018 and looking for recommendations.
    It's 10.1" (I think!) screen which is maybe a little too big when typing but in and around the same size or a bit smaller.
    Not overly fussy on what brand but have always been a Samsung person
    Price under 350euro

Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

Android tablets are kind of obsolete!

Why Android Tablets Are No Good (And What to Buy Instead)

If you can afford to spend a bit more maybe look at MS Surface Go 2.

Or alternatively if you researched and know the limitations of ChromeBooks maybe a cheaper alternative.

I knew what I was getting into when purchased but I have 'Lenovo Ideapad Duet' but others don't seem to recommend it for some reason, it suits my purpose fine.

There doesn't seem to be any recommended posts for android tablets in the last year.

Hi
    I'm looking to upgrade my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2018 and looking for recommendations.
    It's 10.1" (I think!) screen which is maybe a little too big when typing but in and around the same size or a bit smaller.
    Not overly fussy on what brand but have always been a Samsung person
    Price under 350euro

Thanks ��

the samsung tab a7 2020 is a good tablet for 200 or so (amazon germany or italy)

if you fancy spending more to have Samsung s-pen functionality (notes, signing, marking up and pen editing pdfs, drawing etc) the samsung s6 lite for 300 or so (amazon spain) is good. you also get samsung dex on this model which brings sort of windows desktops features (could use it more by adding a cheap mouse or keyboard)

both of these tablets are well built and have nice screens and speakers.

they are both 10 inch tablets

you'd have to go down to 8 inch size below this and the value is not as compelling.

the value has improved over the last number of years from Samsung on their tablets in fairness and it's hard to look beyond them in this segment

lenevo have the m10 fhd plus in the same range as the tab a7 but it has a good bit smaller battery, no fast charging, screen is not as nice and either are the spekers.

no widevine level 1 cert for watching full HD streaming from Netflix, Amazon prime etc either

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Keep saving and buy an iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

I think the iPad is the only game in town for tablets. Used to think they were overpriced but my daughter has had one for school for the past 5.5 years and still going strong. Also have had a couple of android tablets that just crapped out either hardware wise or when an OS upgrade came along. I guess they are half the price etc but ...

Also, iPad software is much better. Android tablet stuff is hit and miss and you've got different manufacturers all making a mess of it. And you'll get updates and security updates for years.

And iPad looks way better :)

(Not an Apple fanboy at all. My mobile is a Chinese Nokia Android and it's brilliant still after 4 years. Android One, pure Google stuff + still getting security updates. But android tablets ...)

yes the ipad base model is very good value but the Apple "ecosystem" is not to everyone's taste.

OP did look for an android tablet rec after all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

glasso wrote: »
    yes the ipad base model is very good value but the Apple "ecosystem" is not to everyone's taste.

OP did look for an android tablet rec after all.

I know. I've updated my answer above.

depends what you want

if it's primarily media consumption as a lot of people use tablets for then the tab A7 actually very nice

the build quality is excellent for the price

https://youtu.be/8RNLNfJEKRw?t=44

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

depends what you want

if it's primarily media consumption as a lot of people use tablets for then the tab A7 actually very nice

the build quality is excellent for the price

Just wondering how you got on with Mi Pad 4, reports of it never getting updates?
    I've just bought a xiaomi mi pad 4 and am impressed with it for the price I paid.
    The delivery time was a bit long, but very happy with the purchase. I got the 8" version.
    great tablet. I have one.

one downer for some people may be no widevine level 1 for streaming hd (netflix, amazon) but tbh on a small screen I don't notice that much

There has been leaks of a possible Xiaomi Mi Pad 5 but starting price of approx €500+ don't think people would fork out for it.

https://www.gizchina.com/2021/04/09/xiaomi-mi-pad-5-with-snapdragon-870-appeared-on-the-net/

mi pad 4 - still have it and happy with it.

still working very well.

use it as a media consumption device primarily - video, newspapers, graphic novels, google photos.

especially when on holidays / travelling / commuting for bringing tv series and movies along etc.

so not so much used now at the moment except for reading the papers as it's better than a phone in that regard.

Xiaomi seem to have abandoned tables as far as I can see.

didn't get updates true but in my case made absolutely no difference.

still can get any app if required in any case.

Samsung are offering the best value at the moment on the Android front for tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

I've been using a Huawei MediaPad M3 8" for pretty much the same as that, reading a newspaper in the morning & the free magazine via the library. The tablet will be four years this year so the battery isn't as good as it was but otherwise it's still going ok. Does anybody make smaller tablets now as not sure I'd want to jump up to 10" whenever I replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Sorry to hi Jack this thread , I could also do with replacing my aging lenovo Tab 2 A10, so the best options now is either the Samsung a7, s6 lite or regular ipad 10.2 inch (I get get an apple discount from a friend) anyone know how much storage is available out of the 32gb on an ipad?

glic83 wrote: »
    Sorry to hi Jack this thread , I could also do with replacing my aging lenovo Tab 2 A10, so the best options now is either the Samsung a7, s6 lite or regular ipad 10.2 inch (I get get an apple discount from a friend) anyone know how much storage is available out of the 32gb on an ipad?

apparently about 22gb free on the ipad

you can put micro sd card in the A7 and s6 lite but apparently can't install apps on the micro sd anymore - adoptable storage is not an option

the a7 has a 64gb version for more money

the s6 lite comes with 64gb as standard

it's an extra 100 euro or so for the 128gb ipad

215 + postage a7 64gb amazon spain
    280 + postage s6 lite amazon italy

215 + postage a7 64gb amazon spain
    280 + postage s6 lite amazon italy

Either of those comes in cheaper than the iPad, suppose it's the trade off for less support over time, I've never had an iPad, but my wife has an iPad air 2 and in fairness it was flawless until one of the kids dropped it and smashed the screen, hard to look past the value in the above deals 🀔
    cheers glasso

depends what you're using it for.

if it's primarily media consumption and basic apps then the samsung is fine and will run well for years
    it has quite a big battery on the a7 so should be a runner even if that degrades a bit
    if you'd really use the pen then the s6 lite is worth a look

if you were a tablet gamer then the ipad then the extra horsepower of the ipad would mean running them more smoothly
    but then again games are big files so that might mean looking at the ipad 128gb version - 500 euro on amazon spain

depends what you're using it for.

if it's primarily media consumption and basic apps then the samsung is fine and will run well for years
    it has quite a big battery on the a7 so should be a runner even if that degrades a bit
    if you'd really use the pen then the s6 lite is worth a look

if you were a tablet gamer then the ipad then the extra horsepower of the ipad would mean running them more smoothly
    but then again games are big files so that might mean looking at the ipad 128gb version - 500 euro on amazon spain

Tbf it's mostly media consumption and emails and maybe a bit of photo but I'll be buying a new laptop soon so I intend to do so most of the editing on the laptop rather than tablet/iPad and still undecided on if I should go for Windows or Mac for photo editing.

glic83 wrote: »
    Tbf it's mostly media consumption and emails and maybe a bit of photo but I'll be buying a new laptop soon so I intend to do so most of the editing on the laptop rather than tablet/iPad and still undecided on if I should go for Windows or Mac for photo editing.

if you want to do a bit of photo editing the pen functionality of the s6 lite can be useful for that, using an app like snapseed for example

you can also get a pen/ pencil with the ipad but it doesn't come with it - another 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought the S6 lite about two months ago from Amazon de. Was on offer. Absolutely smashing machine and the SPen coupled with concept app is superb.

Very happy with it. I also use it for my drone and editing footage from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Thanks everyone!
    I will look into all your suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

listermint wrote: »
    Bought the S6 lite about two months ago from Amazon de. Was on offer. Absolutely smashing machine and the SPen coupled with concept app is superb.

Very happy with it. I also use it for my drone and editing footage from it.

Did the same - saw a BA on it on the Amazon thread.

Very happy with it. I have a Mi Pad 4 as well but found the screen too small really. I'm using the S6 lite for the e-papers, books, browsing, and Plex and can't fault it.

Don't really use the pen (as I don't with my Note 10+) but it's nice to have all the same plus being Samsung it'll get support/updates and when that ceases there'll no doubt be loads of 3rd party ROMs on XDA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement