Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartwatch for elderly mother

• 10-01-2021 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Am looking to buy my mum a smartwatch that can be used to make calls in an emergency. My mum has a degenerative brain disease that makes her prone to falling and she has broken bones in the past.

We were hoping that we could get a watch that will connect to the WiFi and allow her to call my dad or me in an emergency.

It also needs to be fairly robust and easy to use and read.

Any advice?

Comments

It would be safest to get her a personal alarm. They are available through HSE or private suppliers. Just a button to press. https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/carersrelatives/community-support-for-older-people-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, an alert "pendant" is probably what you want, not a smartwatch. If cognition is poor at times then a "man down"/fall sensor would be a good feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

It would be safest to get her a personal alarm. They are available through HSE or private suppliers. Just a button to press. https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/carersrelatives/community-support-for-older-people-.html

She has a system in the house but won't wear it because she staggers up against things constantly and sets off the alarm.

So wanted to get a watch so that she can just wear and if she needs help would use voice activation for calls

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sheedy234

Yes you can get panic alarm fitted in The house and they provide either a wrist bracket or necklace pendant with red button on them for alerting emergency. It's rings the base who contact the house and if no answer rings the people you provide as emergency contacts. My parents have it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭.red.

I've a Huawei Gt2 that I'm very happy with and it can make calls thru Bluetooth when connected to a phone. Even set up as as a shortcut it wouldn't be the easiest thing to do for an elderly person who'd just taken a fall and might be a little disoriented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Sheedy234

.red. wrote: »
    I've a Huawei Gt2 that I'm very happy with and it can make calls thru Bluetooth when connected to a phone. Even set up as as a shortcut it wouldn't be the easiest thing to do for an elderly person who'd just taken a fall and might be a little disoriented.

Was looking at this but she doesn't always bring her phone with her. It could be charging in the kitchen and she could be in the bedroom or bathroom and fall so wasn't sure it was the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not the traditional solution but depending on the layout ~3 Alexas might give you the coverage you need.

"Alexa, call Son/Daughter" is all you'd need to say. Alexa app on the far end. Saves the on her person bit which appears to be the issue. Gap might be coverage in the bathroom.

Witchie wrote: »
    That's the one she has but won't wear

Will she carry the phone around constantly? The personal alarm worn as a watch might suit. The operators are well used to people setting them off accidentally!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We have one of these for the kids but it could work for what you need, it has an SOS button on the side, one press of that and whatever numbers you have nominated get alerted.

Also has basic messaging between 2 numbers of your choice and the watch.

https://www.vodafonefaf.ie/collections/smart_watch/products/v-kids-vodafone-gps-kid-tracker-pink

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This is the one you want, has fall-detection :

https://www.vodafonefaf.ie/products/vodafone-v-sos-gps-watch-tracker

ED E wrote: »
    Not the traditional solution but depending on the layout ~3 Alexas might give you the coverage you need.

"Alexa, call Son/Daughter" is all you'd need to say. Alexa app on the far end. Saves the on her person bit which appears to be the issue. Gap might be coverage in the bathroom.

Have thought of getting her another Alexa in the bedroom, we have one in the kitchen, but then worry about bathroom, utility room, out in garden etc. She is fiercely independent and gets on with everything but sometimes her legs refuse to cooperate.

Ideally I was looking for a watch that shows time and connects to Alexa as long as she Is on the WiFi.

The Vodafone senior one is just an alarm, not a watch or phone enabled. The kids one is bang on what I would be looking forward but was hoping to have a more adult looking version.

Advertisement