Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pixel 4a

Comments

Tempted by the 5 for that money. Is there any more details on the Bose headphones?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The free QC 35 II's make it very tempting.

£230 on Amazon at the minute. That’s a seriously good offer with a €620 phone.

I was really hoping reviewers would have had it for a couple of weeks under embargo so we’d get some reviews though.

Seems a bit weird that they don't include the Pixel Buds instead since they're a similar price? You'd think marketing wise they'd want more people out in the wild with the Buds than a competitor's product.

• Advertisement

Seems a bit weird that they don't include the Pixel Buds instead since they're a similar price? You'd think marketing wise they'd want more people out in the wild with the Buds than a competitor's product.

Who knows, must have got a deal on old stock. They're marketing them as having Google Assistant built in.

They also come with the €490 Pixel 4a 5G. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

They also come with the €490 Pixel 4a 5G. :)

I think its worth the extra €130:

GG6 vs GG3
    Smaller size
    Bigger Battery

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

pixel 5 is due out soon

wingnut wrote: »
    I think its worth the extra €130:

GG6 vs GG3
    Smaller size
    Bigger Battery

Water resistance and wireless charging too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

I was really hoping reviewers would have had it for a couple of weeks under embargo so we’d get some reviews though.

Reading the terms and conditions ,.it's very clear that it's subject to availability. Carphone warehouse phrase it as "you may be eligible for a pair).. the free offer drew me in but now I'm not banking on actually getting the headphones tbh.

logically wrote: »
    Reading the terms and conditions ,.it's very clear that it's subject to availability. Carphone warehouse phrase it as "you may be eligible for a pair).. the free offer drew me in but now I'm not banking on actually getting the headphones tbh.

I would be surprised if anyone purchasing doesn't get one. They say you may be entitled, due to these exceptions:
    - This Promotion is only open to individuals with a shipping address in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland over the age of 18 ("Participant"). Businesses are not eligible to participate in this Promotion.
    - Employees of Google, Participating Retailers and anyone professionally connected with the Promotion or their immediate family members are not eligible to take part in the Promotion.
    - Limit of two (2) Rewards per household during the Promotional Period, irrespective of the quantity of Qualifying Products purchased.
    - This Promotion does not affect warranties or returns policies, whether in-box, statutory or otherwise that are available to the Participant.

Originally it said the 4a 5G had to be purchased between certain dates in early November, but now it seems to be saying the same as the 5 - between Sep 30th and Oct 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Original delivery date was Oct. 5-6, but it shipped yesterday evening and arrived this morning! Class phone and a great upgrade from my OnePlus 5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Enjoy^^. Will you be able to upgrade to Android 11 or will it be delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Enjoy^^. Will you be able to upgrade to Android 11 or will it be delayed?

The 11 update was waiting for me when I turned the phone on! It's very slick and smooth - loving it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

advertsfox wrote: »
    Order shipped as well! DHL delivery but tracking hasn't updated yet. I'd expect it to arrive tomorrow (says 1-2 October).
    Arrived at 8:30AM today! Very happy with the size + my Spigen case with orange buttons. My 2 XL seems massive next to this now. After I copied my content over via the provided USB adapter (handy), I got the prompt to upgrade to Android 11 too - a nice 1.58GB download.

ZghJem7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deroro

Hi,

My Pixel 4a was delivered today. I am an old man and not technically knowledgeable. The enclosed electric plug for charging the phone is a three pin plug, but it is too small and will not fit into the wall socket. I was on the phone for over an hour with the Google Store helpdesk based in the Philippines, but had great difficulty in communicating with the agent. I requested the agent to send me the correct plug, but I am doubtful that she grasped what I was talking about. I have an iPad and an old Moto G Android phone and they both have a standard size Irish/British three pin plug. I am currently unable to charge the new Pixel 4a phone.

Can anyone kindly suggest a solution, please. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Deroro wrote: »
    Hi,

My Pixel 4a was delivered today. I am an old man and not technically knowledgeable. The enclosed electric plug for charging the phone is a three pin plug, but it is too small and will not fit into the wall socket. I was on the phone for over an hour with the Google Store helpdesk based in the Philippines, but had great difficulty in communicating with the agent. I requested the agent to send me the correct plug, but I am doubtful that she grasped what I was talking about. I have an iPad and an old Moto G Android phone and they both have a standard size Irish/British three pin plug. I am currently unable to charge the new Pixel 4a phone.

Have you a picture of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scrum001

The top pin on the three pin plug can most likely be pushed up to match your socket size. Try and see if it moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Pacifico wrote: »
    Have you a picture of it?

Does the top pin of the 3 pull up? Thats how my other google chargers work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi,

If its the charger I'm thinking of, similar to a Samsung (black plastic part as per attached screenshot), you '' click'' one of the pins up into place, so it is the same shape as a regular plug. It's just down for portability.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭cassette50

Hi,

If it is the same type of plug as the Pixel 3a, you just pull up the top pin on the plug up into position.

Transaction pending on my account and I can no longer click 'cancel shipment' on the order page. No shipping confirmation yet. Would be nice to have it by the end of the week, but even next week would still be early compared to the original estimate. Looking forward to it as my LG V20's battery is only getting worse.

Not done an Android to Android transfer in a while, must look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deroro

Thank you all very much for your helpful replies. The top pin of the plug does indeed pull-up to fit into the wall socket. Everything is fine now and the phone is happily charging. As an old person, it's the first time I have ever encountered such a plug.

The helpdesk in the Philippines were hopeless.

Once again, many thanks.

There's a security update already out - this fixes some bugs to do with automatic brightness (4a specific), screen rotation and touch sensitivity for users of screen protectors. Only 10.3Mb and installs with a quick reboot.

thread_75085899_18346756703523055555.png

What time of day did yours ship at (email confirmation go out)?

What time of day did yours ship at (email confirmation go out)?
    Wednesday last week, 23:55 from Netherlands, then another processing update at 00:05 Thursday (so 10 mins later) and out for delivery first thing Monday.

PS: It also processes through Germany I was told on the phone because I got no tracking updates (DHL usually gives at least 8+).

Ah right. When I bought a Nexus 4 it came from Dublin, but at the same you couldn't buy it from them and the advice on boards was to use Parcel Motel and get it sent via NI. That did the trick.

Wonder if more Pixel 5s will sell than 4as.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Mine was shipped last Wednesday and I got it the next day.

• Advertisement

Nothing here, yet.

Advertisement