Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Comments

downcow wrote: »
    Well of course you are talking nonsense. Both sides have shown little respect to each other, or to each other's culture, identity and sense of belonging. There is no one side to blame for all of this.

A few uncomfortable home truths isnt nonsense (unionists have run north for 100 years and have only sneered,poured scorn on those they needed to convince to make union secure,no point in blaming anyone else,check.the mirror mate)
    But thankfully it has all been decided, and unless you want to start renegotiating GFA it is very clear. You can jump up and down all you wish, but until there is a majority of people in both jurisdictions who want to try a truly united Island for the first time in history, then it cant happen. And I know it must be very depressing for you that we have had endless predictions over the decades that there would very soon be majority wanting to try this United Island project and yet it seems to keep moving further away from you. The bold Gerry predicted it would be done and dusted by 2016

You were quiet keen 2 posts ago.to open the gfa and demand x,y and z,despite it not being in it...how is that??
    I have not read the GFA for a very long time, but some of you are expert in it. Could you tell me if this hypothetical situation arose, is it a case that the Republic of Ireland simply absorbs Northern Ireland or do the two countries have to talk about how they unite and what that looks like? Just curious

Its literally just 32 pages,its early yet,read away mate

It allows for a border poll,your demanded negociations are entierly hypothectical (imo,they should have them)

Indeed,if your so sure of a border poll failing,put it to electorate and see

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The thing is,they've tried NI as a country (hasnt and wont work)and unionists will piss over any concessions to nationlists anyway.....

Its there 100 years and unionists still think so little of nationlists,they wont give a irish language act and their elected representives,just sneer at it....time to pull the plug

If the so called ‘nationalists’ in the South give so little respect to the Irish language, they can hardly be surprised when the Unionists push back against it.

I am very proud of the Irish language but ramming it down people’s throats will never work.

You either want it or you don’t.

Big deficit in reality here, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,782 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well of course you are talking nonsense. Both sides have shown little respect to each other, or to each other's culture, identity and sense of belonging. There is no one side to blame for all of this.

But thankfully it has all been decided, and unless you want to start renegotiating GFA it is very clear. You can jump up and down all you wish, but until there is a majority of people in both jurisdictions who want to try a truly united Island for the first time in history, then it cant happen. And I know it must be very depressing for you that we have had endless predictions over the decades that there would very soon be majority wanting to try this United Island project and yet it seems to keep moving further away from you. The bold Gerry predicted it would be done and dusted by 2016

I have not read the GFA for a very long time, but some of you are expert in it. Could you tell me if this hypothetical situation arose, is it a case that the Republic of Ireland simply absorbs Northern Ireland or do the two countries have to talk about how they unite and what that looks like? Just curious

It won't be a veto situation downcow like the EU talks, were either side gets to flounce off in a huff if not getting their way.

That is why it would be utterly suicidal for any side not to take part in the discussions which I think you have said you would be infavour of doing.

There will be a 'white paper' which will basically be the proposal for a UI that we will vote for or against. If you aren't in the negotiations about that then you can't win.

If the so called ‘nationalists’ in the South give so little respect to the Irish language, they can hardly be surprised when the Unionists push back against it.

I am very proud of the Irish language but ramming it down people’s throats will never work.

So called nationlists is right,pouring scorn on our language and sports,dont make someone a nationlist

Unionists think so little of them,they cant even compromise and give a irish language act,100 years in existance and this is reality of those elected to run NI....it deosnt work,and has been by any metric a failure as a country

Powersharing has been a pointless exercise,an inability to.contence so much as a language act,shows the pure pointlessness of this pretend government,the old dungarvan town council had as much power as stormont

It was not being rammed down people's throats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,045 ✭✭✭✭downcow

A few uncomfortable home truths isnt nonsense (unionists have run north for 100 years and have only sneered,poured scorn on those they needed to convince to make union secure,no point in blaming anyone else,check.the mirror mate)

You were quiet keen 2 posts ago.to open the gfa and demand x,y and z,despite it not being in it...how is that??

Its literally just 32 pages,its early yet,read away mate

It allows for a border poll,your demanded negociations are entierly hypothectical (imo,they should have them)

Indeed,if your so sure of a border poll failing,put it to electorate and see

My response to your three very pathetic points above

I have held the mirror up and accepted that my community have shown very little respect for nationalist culture and identity. It's you that needs to hold the mirror up and accept your community has done the same to Unionist culture and identity.

Show me where I was "quiet keen 2 posts ago.to open the gfa and demand x,y and z,despite it not being in it"

I have never asked for negotiations. It is my view that the GFA must be implemented if the conditions are met re- voting. After it is implemented then my community is free to democratically work to get as much autonomy as possible from the rest of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It was not being rammed down people's throats.

Joanne Bunting and Edwin Poots might disagree Francesco...and those who voted for them.

So called nationlists is right,pouring scorn on our language and sports,dont make someone a nationlist

Unionists think so little of them,they cant even compromise and give a irish language act,100 years in existance and this is reality of those elected to run NI....it deosnt work,and has been by any metric a failure as a country

Powersharing has been a pointless exercise,an inability to.contence so much as a language act,shows the pure pointlessness of this pretend government,the old dungarvan town council had as much power as stormont

Unionists do not work well with airy fairy fudges.
    I have asked many times in reference to Irish language a few simple yes no questions. But to make it really simple here I will narrow it down to one simple question.
    Would this Irish language act require the placing Irish language signage in areas where the vast majority of residents or employees did not want them? Simple question!

My response to your three very pathetic points above

I have held the mirror up and accepted that my community have shown very little respect for nationalist culture and identity. It's you that needs to hold the mirror up and accept your community has done the same to Unionist culture and identity.

Nothing patethic about pointing out unionists think so little of nationlists,100 years in and refuse to do so
    Indeed,why if they need nationlists to secure the union have they actively worked to alienate them??

They have only themselves to blame for time running out on the union
    Show me where I was "quiet keen 2 posts ago.to open the gfa and demand x,y and z,despite it not being in it"

I have never asked for negotiations. It is my view that the GFA must be implemented if the conditions are met re- voting. After it is implemented then my community is free to democratically work to get as much autonomy as possible from the rest of the island.

You wanted ireland to leave the eu as part of a reunifaction and join commonwealth (why??)....your posts are there for all to see??

You wantes everything to be on table and discussed,now you claim you dont want negociations???lol mate

A timely bit of introspection from a Unionist...is it too little too late though?

https://sluggerotoole.com/2020/05/31/unionism-needs-a-reformation-of-its-own-one-that-turns-it-into-a-movement-that-is-fit-for-the-modern-era/

The conclusion is a pretty stark choice.
    It’s difficult not to feel that with the erosion of political Unionism the link between Great Britain and Northern Ireland might actually be stronger. Political Unionism has disillusioned the Northern Ireland public of all political shades and has resulted in many Unionists turning away from politics. Unionism needs a Reformation of its own, one that turns it into a movement that is fit for the modern era, that is open and inclusive and really sells the benefit of the Union rather than opposing every single thing it is confronted with until such times that it has to in effect suck them up.

• Advertisement

You wanted ireland to leave the eu as part of a reunifaction and join commonwealth (why??)....your posts are there for all to see??

You wantes everything to be on table and discussed,now you claim you dont want negociations???lol mate

Nonsense. Provide the evidence.

My point about stuff on the table was in response to a few posters on here continually crying to begin negotiations about what a united Ireland might look like. I have pointed out that that is a nonsense as the GFA deals with it if it happens. In the meantime if anyone demands negotiations then of course everything must be on the table.

You are spinning and twisting but I think other posters can see what is going on

I have asked many times in reference to Irish language a few simple yes no questions. But to make it really simple here I will narrow it down to one simple question.
    Would this Irish language act require the placing Irish language signage in areas where the vast majority of residents or employees did not want them? Simple question!

Yes on public property...its a harmless compromise?

The fact yous think so little of nationlists,that you dont want this,is entirely on you and noone else

Nonsense. Provide the evidence.

My point about stuff on the table was in response to a few posters on here continually crying to begin negotiations about what a united Ireland might look like. I have pointed out that that is a nonsense as the GFA deals with it if it happens. In the meantime if anyone demands negotiations then of course everything must be on the table.

You are spinning and twisting but I think other posters can see what is going on

Would you be up for a nationwide discussion on options for the island going forward. Eg rejoining uk, joining commonwealth, roi leaving eu with the uk, Northern Ireland committing to next 200 years as part of uk, independent ni and uniting the island for the first time in history?
    Don’t ask unionists to be part of a UI discussion unless absolutely everything is on the table.

Indeed....they can see,who is lying here

Joanne Bunting and Edwin Poots might disagree Francesco...and those who voted for them.

I asked you, do you think the ILA was going to 'shove Irish' down anyone's throats?

Indeed....they can see,who is lying here

And everyone can see that my comment was in direct response to this.
    Originally Posted by maccored View Post
    its not up to the shinners to outline what a UI is - its up to everyone on the island. the first thing to do is discuss it, and SF have regularly called for a nationwide discussion on the subject

And everyone can see that my comment was in direct response to this.
    Originally Posted by maccored View Post
    its not up to the shinners to outline what a UI is - its up to everyone on the island. the first thing to do is discuss it, and SF have regularly called for a nationwide discussion on the subject

So,youve gone from you dont want negociations,to now saying ya do :pac:

If nothing else,your some craic

So,youve gone from you dont want negociations,to now saying ya do :pac:

If nothing else,your some craic

Blaaz. I think you know well what you are at. Can you show me anywhere I have suggested negotiations.
    Let me be really clear for you. I don't believe Unionists should ever enter negotiations on a UI prior to a successful vote by both jurisdictions.

Any comment I have made on negotiations is simply a challenge to the few Republicans on here who cry continually about wanting Unionists to negotiate about a new Ireland - simply because they know they cannot win the vote. I have said to them that if they want to talk about all possibilities for the future of this piece of land then I would not be opposed to Unionists discussing. But absolutely not a situation where discussions are a one-way street

Yes on public property...its a harmless compromise?

Well at least Blaaz is honest on this one. This is the reason we cannot countenance an Irish language act. This is just one of many questions I could ask which would demonstrate how this would be used to wind us up.
    A few on here may disagree, but this is exactly the same as loyalist parades in Catholic areas - which of course no longer take place.
    This would be so divisive. Every Unionist area you went into, signs would be defaced and you would know exactly where you were by how the compulsory irish signs were treated.
    This request for Irish language signs everywhere is from the same people who were so insistent to remove the union flag from public buildings.
    You really couldn't make it up - the hypocrisy.

This is also why you will find that every single Unionist party in Northern Ireland from the most extreme to the most moderate as opposed to an Irish language act - we simply do not trust them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They have done nothing else.
    They have done nothing.

Well at least Blaaz is honest on this one. This is the reason we cannot countenance an Irish language act. This is just one of many questions I could ask which would demonstrate how this would be used to wind us up.
    A few on here may disagree, but this is exactly the same as loyalist parades in Catholic areas - which of course no longer take place.
    This would be so divisive. Every Unionist area you went into, signs would be defaced and you would know exactly where you were by how the compulsory irish signs were treated.
    This request for Irish language signs everywhere is from the same people who were so insistent to remove the union flag from public buildings.
    You really couldn't make it up - the hypocrisy.

This is also why you will find that every single Unionist party in Northern Ireland from the most extreme to the most moderate as opposed to an Irish language act - we simply do not trust them

There were never going to be 'compulsory' Irish signs. That was a concession and deference to your cultural insecurities.

• Advertisement

It won't matter what SF say come the time, unless they are the government, as it will be the government not a single party that will be making the case for it.
    So they wont do anything that might influence people towards the idea until they get a border poll. Typical of them. They havent two brains to rub together

There were never going to be 'compulsory' Irish signs. That was a concession and deference to your cultural insecurities.
    In other words the Shinners could claim that they got a great victory in having an Irish Language Act passed but there would be no visible use of Irish.
    Knowing the pathetic level of Irish among their leaders maybe its just as well. Tiocfaidh ar la will get them through most meetings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Edgware wrote: »
    So they wont do anything that might influence people towards the idea until they get a border poll. Typical of them. They havent two brains to rub together

So a party who was banned from the airwaves not so long ago and now the largest on the island are brainless? Keyboard warrior you are!

I was laughing at the idea that you would be sitting there waiting to be convinced by a party you have a hate of.

That, as you know will never happen.

The border poll when it comes will have a proposal as the formulation of it...same as the GFA asked if we wanted to change the constitution.

That will be a proposal coming from the Irish government of the time. It wont be 'Edgware agin the Shinners'.

In other words the Shinners could claim that they got a great victory in having an Irish Language Act passed but there would be no visible use of Irish.
    Knowing the pathetic level of Irish among their leaders maybe its just as well. Tiocfaidh ar la will get them through most meetings

It might surprise you to know that the Irish language is already visible across official signage in counties like Fermanagh and Tyrone for a good few years.
    There have been no recorded deaths by seizure of Unionists on seeing it, as far as I know.
    Defibrillators and resuscitation equipment is on stand by though.

pettigo-ireland-march-03-2019-signs-showing-the-border-of-the-republic-of-ireland-and-northern-ireland-RW5J5F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

From what I recall, motorways and main routes would have dual language signage and that this signage would not be introduced in one go but only when upgrading signage. Local areas would vote for the signage they wanted. Irish was not going to be compulsory in schools, but the BBC would need to put some resources into it (or maybe they might just broadcast TG4 in NI).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

This is just one of many questions I could ask which would demonstrate how this would be used to wind us up.

How is it possible that an inanimate sign would wind you up?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Sinn Fein ought to wait until the UK falls apart or Westminster decides to stop funding Northern Ireland before asking for a border poll, both of which I could see happening in the near future. Northern Ireland isn't viable as an independent country.

So a party who was banned from the airwaves not so long ago and now the largest on the island are brainless? Keyboard warrior you are!
    Not completely brainless, they have the ability to plagiarise Jack and the Beanstalk economic policy of the use of magic beans

• Advertisement

Not completely brainless, they have the ability to plagiarise Jack and the Beanstalk economic policy of the use of magic beans

'Plagiarise' you say?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/historic-deal-based-on-the-policies-of-excluded-sinn-f%C3%A9in-1.4229003

Advertisement