Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CB dead or alive

Comments

Regarding the baofeng, have you got any in mind ? they'd be better than the walkie talkies on UHF probably, they're not great beyond about 2-3 kms outdoors if even with trees.

CB would get out way better but need big antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Vertical only job for 10/11m

No particular baofeng in mind.

Will message you on here tonight and let you know what time I'll give a few shouts on 27.535 USB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Was behind some fella the other day, thought it was just a knob jockey wannabe with an antenna for show but i could see the '19' on the display on his dash

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭dubhlinn55

Good to know buddy thanks for that, put getting international contacts is great and propagation is beginning too peak and will be at its height in 2025 so dust off those radios and let's get up and running again. Who knows there could be a club in the making here guys.

Iam getting my radio this week after a long time out of cb, just need a power supply unit and swr meter and that's me sorted, as for ham radios I wouldn't have the brains to pass that exam 😂. Although I do enjoy listening in on the baofeng uv-5r I have, it's great to listen certainly seem a great bunch of lads. It true for you guys it's all tablets and smartphones for the kids certainly not like us oldies 😂 we had really good craic on those cb's as youths and deffo into our adulthood ya just get hooked and always learning.

• Advertisement

It would be good to get the younger folk more involved in Radio, my 2 Sons, 6 and a half and 8 years old love tuning around on the radio, gives them other stuff to do when I don't allow them on screens they have to occupy themselves some other way. They can't just pick up a tablet or the Nintendo but I have to unlock them and at that I have them locked down especially the tablet, there's far too much unsuitable material for them unsupervised even on youtube kids it's a lot of nonsense and they're not learning anything not using their creativity.

Last week the Boys and I built an FM radio together, I identified the components and the Boys took turns putting them on the board and soldering. You should have seen their faces when they turned it on and it worked, no tablet or smartphone can match that!

As for getting the ham license, it's not that difficult, all you need to study for the exam is on the IRTS site, you don't need to go anywhere else.

Best of luck with the CB will it be a base setup or in the car ?

I hear a good bit of activity on 11m now some strong signals 27.555 Mhz.

That's the thing, I struggle to hear any local activity and can hear the Skip when it comes in no problem. Think it's conditions too but I really do feel a dipole would be far better for local coms, the verticals provide low angle of radiation and the signals are skipping over us locally.

27.55 is hopping now and I'm pulling it in on my Bontio MA305 Whip.

Great to hear that you got your kids building a radio, I do remember building my first one it was a kit from radioshack in the day when they where over here came with a case and all. My setup will be a home base, made the power supply today, well kinda converted it tbh. Setup will work off a 5/8 wave silver rod.

South east

• Advertisement

11m booming tonight. I hear no locals but I would expect them to be skipping over me anyway unless they were close enough to catch some groundwave.

Some FM signals are booming in.

Good to know there are still some about, what type setup do you have.

Was just listening via the malahit SDR 2 and the Bonito MA305 with optional longer whip.

For yapping on the Ham bands I got the Yaesu FTDX-10 + EFHW antenna and FT-891 and Chameleon MPAS 2.0 vertical I use from time to time. How about your setup ?

The FTDX-10 won't transmit on 11m, not sure about the FT-891.

Haven't been able to get mine yet I thought I could but plans fell through so hopefully within the next few days or a week anyways it's a HR 5500 with a silver rod 5/8 antenna. Have a baofeng uv-5r to listen in to the ham radio.

40 watt SSB, Should get you to the continent anyway, might need more juice. Local conditions are not great though, too much skip good for DX though.

Think it was around 2 weeks ago I heard a lad from Jamaica come in on 11m.

Those CB antennas, do the have radials ? I know for the Ham antennas they are essential night/day difference to performance especially TX.

It would be good if some of you CB'ers could try out a INV V Dipole or EFHW for better local coverage, I think the low angle radiation is just too low for local CB coverage and so many local signals could be bouncing over our heads.

I have great success using EFHW 49:1 for the Ham Bands, good DX and NVIS in a sort of sloping inv L.

I do know though that on 20, 40 and 17m if I connect up the Chameon MPAS 2.0 and swap between EFHW and Vert the signals are way down on the vert but the DX can be a lot clearer on the vert with just 4 x17 foot long radials. I've even got to Australia on 20m with that and 100w on 20m.

Cheers for the update, when I did cb before I mostly used it for dx I was thinking of setting up a full wave dipole aswell and have both connected to a switcher box. Then one thing I don't have as yet is an amp.

Yeah a dipole and vertical are the way to go, the thing is that most CB'ers seem to be using verticals, I really don't know why because they're not really for local coverage, unless they're only interested in DX, you'd have to be quite close to the other Person I think especially these days on 11m.

Get an amp with good reviews because some of them could be poorly designed and cause a lot of spatter which can really effect people a few Khz up or down from where you're transmitting.

That's very true mate.

11m hopping again tonight lads, continentals, I could hear that one or two people were on from EI but couldn't hear them at all but the people they were talking to booming in 59+ so as I was saying earlier, EFHW or dipole will probably greatly increase your chances of making local contacts, a dipole as inverted V up around 35 feet be a nice cloud warmer, should work a lot better for local coverage.

The only way you're probably hear locals is through ground wave if your close enough.

• Advertisement

Put a antron 99 or IMAX 2000 you will hear both locals and dx

I've reading a bit on the imax 2000, screams inefficient with such a wide bandwidth, antennas shouldn't have a wide bandwidth without a dip and increase at band edges.

I read where those using the ground plane kit noticed narrow bandwidth which means the antenna is more efficient.

Low SWR doesn't mean efficient or good.

Let me know if you hear any locals on tonight I'll fire up the FT-891 on the Chameleon MPAS 2.0 and see if I notice a difference vertical to vertical.

IMAX 2000 here for over ten years great antenna and great for locals and dx

Are these the correct frequencies for the 40 channel cb as I've forgotten them thanks guys.

"t was back in November when Bell's CB Radio had published a statement that they would not sell the I MAX 2000 antennas because their personal inspections and measurements had verified thirteen out of fourteen antennas were much shorter than 24'.

You may be correct about the new antennas being butchered. No one knows when Solarcon sold-out and maybe the work force left and new workers came in. If the antennas were mass produced on an assembly line, having a fabrication jig is a must so as just about anyone can build and assemble the antennas. We will never know the truth why the antennas are shorter."

Maybe they're not so good now then ?

locals in kilkenny on 27.535 usb now

I'll check it out now if they're still on.

I hear them much clearer on the Chameleon MPAS 2.0 17 foot vertical.

Can any of ye Lads hear them better than I can with the Chameleon MAPS 2.0 ?

• Advertisement

I haven't put back up the Bonito Loop Antenna yet but that antenna was better than the Megadipol for locals especially above around 14 Mhz.

So how can you hear them Bassy compared to the above video ?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement