Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE1 not tuning on new tv.

• 26-10-2017 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

Hi all, my friend bought a new tv this morning (Panasonic tx-43d302b).
    he has no sky box or freeview box connected to the tv,he only has an indoor aerial to pick up saorview stations.
    I tuned in the tv according to the instructions and all seemed to go well,all the saorview channels tuned in exept RTE1 and RTE1+1.
    the tv he had previous to the new one was able to pick up all the stations.
    I tried rescanning a couple of times but it still wont tune RTE1.
    has anybody any tips to resolve this?:confused:
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Check your local transmitter...RTE 1 and 1+ may be on a different channel...it's possible that the antenna isn't good enough. What general area are you in?

It may be possible to do a manual scan of the channel RTE 1 & 1+ are on...that may solve it..

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭glaswegian

HI,thanks for your info. i'm in Sligo town so quite near the transmitter. I have a plug in antenna on a bedroom tv,i'll give that a try tomorrow
    is there much technically to the manual search option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Usually not....should be in the instruction booklet....there should be a way of scanning just one channel...in your case I think this will be channel 57... On that Panasonic I think you'll be looking for "manual channel scan"...I think!

i'm afraid the booklet isn't much help.this is the instruction.
    manual channel scan-this feature can be used for direct broadcast entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

it will look like this,

Installation Menu Contents
    Automatic
    channel scan
    (Retune)
    Displays automatic tuning options. Digital Aerial: Searches and stores aerial DVB stations.
    Digital Cable: Searches and stores cable DVB stations. Analogue: Searches and stores
    analogue stations.
    Manual
    channel scan This feature can be used for direct broadcast entry"

select manual, then you enter each fequency, 53 or 57 but RTE1 is tricky nd requires a stroong signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I had the same issue recently, try scanning after 7pm or before 7pm. One or the other pulled up RTE1 for me, the other time never could. Once found it was there for good.

cheers,i'll be in my mates tomorrow and i'll give it a go,i'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Hi swoofer,I managed to find RTE 1,+1 and 3be they were indeed on channel 57 . Thanks for your time and knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

swoofer wrote: »
    ... but RTE1 is tricky nd requires a stroong signal.

The 2 muxes use exactly the same setup, there's nothing inherently 'tricky' about RTE1/RTE1 +1/Be3 vs. the others, just that being on 2 different frequencies might cause differences in signal that can vary depending on receiving location etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

This is interesting. I have an LG, and it works well with antennae from the attic, and the old sky satellite for UK channels. Recently rte1 and rte1+1 have disappeared and cannot be automatically tuned. So it's try to manually tune then on UHF 53 or 57? I'll try it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It won't be 53 or 57. The highest channel number used by Saorview is 48.

Check this link to see which transmitter you are getting signals from. If it is not clear, go into the LG menus, and see what channel number / frequency you are getting RTE 2 on. It is Multiplex (Mux) 1, and your RTE 1 will be on the channel number / frequency for Mux 2. If you can, check the menu also for signal quality.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

It won't be 53 or 57. The highest channel number used by Saorview is 48.

Check this link to see which transmitter you are getting signals from. If it is not clear, go into the LG menus, and see what channel number / frequency you are getting RTE 2 on. It is Multiplex (Mux) 1, and your RTE 1 will be on the channel number / frequency for Mux 2. If you can, check the menu also for signal quality.

https://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

Thank you! I appear to be getting rte2 on UHF 45, 660mhz, 8mhz be, signal strength 22%, quality 8%.

I'll check the link and see!

WhoElse wrote: »
    Thank you! I appear to be getting rte2 on UHF 45, 660mhz, 8mhz be, signal strength 22%, quality 8%.

I'll check the link and see!

45 is the mux1 for spur hill, which makes sense, I'm in glanmire, cork. I tried 39 for the mux2, to see if there's another multiplexed signal, but it gets no signal on 39. I might have missed the point, sorry. Not sure what else to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a relay station in Glanmire on the list, but it would have limited coverage. Only 200 watts, as against 50,000 from Spur Hill. But could be worth a try, channels 44 and 47.

Your signal quality is too low for reliable reception from Spur Hill. An outside aerial would solve the problem. There are regular reports here of one Mux going missing, while the other one has so called "perfect" reception. But a perfect picture does not give any indication of signal quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

WhoElse wrote: »
    I appear to be getting rte2 on UHF 45, 660mhz, 8mhz be, signal strength 22%, quality 8%.

RTÉ 2 is on Mux 1 and the signal strength and quality figures are crap.

The signal quality reading should be as close to 100% as possible and likewise the signal strength well above 50% to be any way stable. The assumption would be that the Mux 2 figures are below this and have fallen over the "digital cliff" and so therefore no channels.

With those signal figures very easy to lose channels especially with the aerial in the attic, the aerial may have moved or something was placed in the attic affecting the exiting low signal, bad connection or even the wrong aerial for the transmitter you're using.

What transmitter is recommended for your location - https://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage
    What aerial are you using in the attic, examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Cush wrote: »
    RTÉ 2 is on Mux 1 and the signal strength and quality figures are crap.

:confused:

rte 2 always tunes in for me no problems, its rte 1 that's troublesome

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fryup wrote: »

:confused: me too, my reply was to WhoElse and you reply???

Anyway, the numbers indicate a very borderline signal that could fall over easily as it has done for the RTÉ1 mux.

The aerial is receiving the higher frequency mux albeit borderline and not the lower frequency Mux2, maybe your aerial is a higher in-group aerial - a Group B or a Group C/D - behind a slate/tile roof that is attenuating the signal further, hence the reason I asked about the aerial installed.

A Group K is recommended for frequencies higher than UHF37.

The Cush wrote: »
    :confused: me too, my reply was to WhoElse and you reply???

well you know, its an open forum

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Have you ever tried to do anything about it, apart from post here repeatedly?

There's nothing wrong with the transmitted signal, if that's what you're implying.

Have you ever tried to do anything about it, apart from post here repeatedly?

repeatedly :confused:
    There's nothing wrong with the transmitted signal, if that's what you're implying.

well obviously there is if people are continually having trouble with it, as evident in this forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

glaswegian wrote: »
    Hi all, my friend bought a new tv this morning (Panasonic tx-43d302b).
    he has no sky box or freeview box connected to the tv, he only has an indoor aerial to pick up saorview stations.

I tried rescanning a couple of times but it still wont tune RTE1.
    has anybody any tips to resolve this?:confused:
    thanks.

Tell him to get a proper outdoor, or possibly loft, aerial installed. He obviously spent a lot of money on a new TV. Why on earth is he scrimping on an aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

well obviously there is if people are continually having trouble with it, as evident in this forum

The two Saroview multiplexes are transmitted from each TX site with an equal maximum ERP - however several different reasons concerning the travel of the signal to a receiving aerial, as well as aerials themselves, can lead to one multiplex being received stronger/weaker than the other. If the stronger multiplex is barely being received over the receiver threshold, then it's no surprise that the other one isn't at a level where the receiver can make head nor tail out of it.

Same effect can be seen in some locations on an FM radio, and in the old days on analogue TV.

Advertisement