Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Your Main PC - Pictures, specs and discussion <IMAGE HEAVY>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Here's mine, more or less finished now.

I've recently changed the gfx card to a Nvidia 285 and have a coolermaster V8 cpu cooler now installed along with some added sound dampening foam inside the case. I'll pop up some updated pictures later on as it's too dark now to take some. One pic attached of the screen and AmBx with Wow, pic doesn't do it justice at all but will suffice for now.

Specs...

Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Classic
    PSU: Tagan Piperock TG1100-Bz Modular
    Monitor: Acer G24
    KeyBoard: Logitech G19 w/colour screen ! (previously original G15 for ages)
    Mouse: Razer Mamba Wireless/Wired
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB DD2 @ 1066mhz 5-5-5-15
    Gfx: BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC2 1GB
    CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster V8
    HD: 3 x WD Caviar 1TB SataII drives - one is external running on eSATA for backups
    HD Enclosures: 2 x GUP Japan Smart Drive 2002c silent enclosures and 1 x external Antec Mx-1 eSata enclosure.
    MouseMat: Boogie Bug Aim.b XL (bloody huge!)
    Speakers: Phillips AmBx Premium kit - has to be seen and used to really be appreciated.
    MotherBoard: GigaByte X38 DQ6
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E6850
    OS: XP 32 for the moment. Uninstalled Vista as I was sick of it and the AmBx speakers/lights don't work well with Vista either.

Pic taken just now, just of screen, it's dark so not the best pic...
    photo.jpg

Older pic of desktop, just after I'd finished building on first boot, with older monitor I used for dual boxing in wow beside it...
    IMG_0544.jpg

Old pic of inside case with just PSU...
    IMG_0524.jpg

First build inside case, with stock cpu cooler, Ati 4890, no HD silencers, etc.,
    IMG_0536.jpg

iPhone is terrible at taking pictures, I'll see if I can borrow a nokia N95 later and take some decent up-to-date ones.

Computer as it is now is very silent, enough that I can leave it on overnights and not have it annoy me (or the missus!) while sleeping. I would like though to get a decent fan controller installed to control the case fans, they are huge and are silent enough, but I want them even quieter at times.
    The HD enclosures are just brilliant, really keep the HD's both cool and very quiet.

I run 4 x instances of World of Warcraft at the same time on the one screen when I'm boxing. Used to use two screens but there's no point really when using something like Keyclone).
    I had to have 8gb of RAM installed to do the same on Vista :/ (in the older pics above you can see the previous 8gb ram installed before I got the newer Kingston RAM).

PS., I know the PSU is overkill, so please, don't start on me on that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Not a bad build there..

Whats the G19 keyboard like? I'm wondering if its worth the money, it's a tad pricey atm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

My room, I'll post some pics of the pc when i get my new gpu and get round to tidying the cables

P5230010.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

techguy wrote: »
    Not a bad build there..

Whats the G19 keyboard like? I'm wondering if its worth the money, it's a tad pricey atm..

I was very wary of getting it also but, hell, I had the G15 since release and nothing compared to it. The G19 beats it hands down and the keys are an lot quiet to type with also. Colour screen is fantastic, can even play movies on it :)
    You can change the colour of the keys also to whatever colour you want.
    Only thing is, the screen itself has it's own power supply, so another power socket needed to be aware of. I don't think it's worth the money, maybe 100 tops, but the colour screen and ability to play movies on it kind of makes up for it. Was watching the last 3 episodes of Heroes on it last night while raiding in wow with the guild :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Nehaxak wrote:
    Was watching the last 3 episodes of Heroes on it last night while raiding in wow with the guild :)

Now that's what I call multitasking! lol.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

2 pictures of my new machine here. not great but its a mobile camera. nearly everything is 2nd hand, so it only cost a few hundred. damn leds and cathodes have to wait, got 2 from maplins and both have problems, first one blew and second one just seems extremely dodgey in terms of quality.

thermaltake armour
    700w jeantech storm
    750i p5n-d
    4gb patriot 800mhz
    e8600
    8800gts 640mb 112sp edition in Sli
    500gb hd

24052009068_1.jpg

24052009069-1.jpg

Whoa! Can't you resize those Terror? :o

Sorry, just did that. My net access is limited to once a week while I sort out broadband, nightmare. Didn't realise they were that large, forgot the camera was set to the full 5MP.

Already made some changes, the dual GTS are a problem, because the pci-e lanes are so close on the p5n that there's virtually 1mm for the intake on the first card, its idling at about 69. so i've ditched them in favour for dual GTX260, hoping that the fact they run cooler and use angled coolers will solve that issue somewhat. got them for 138 apiece on pix, too good to resist even tho they're the 192 model, which in itself is still faster than 4870. So for E280 that's performance that'll fight the 4870x2 in crysis at 1920x1200 easily, and run cooler.

so with that its more or less gone from a budget rig to a performance one really

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Its a long time coming but I finally got around to taking some pictures!

14e0w91.jpg
    33to0et.jpg
    2h3veah.jpg

I know the wiring is a mess, but it was the best I could do with a non-modular PSU. Doesn't affect airflow too much like that anyway so it's all good :)

Jesus I hate this P5N-D. The lanes are so close 8800GTS sli was impossible due to heat. So my GTX260's arrived today, and that was a nightmare too, though its a bit easier at least with the angled coolers. 2nd card goes directly over sata, so I can only have one sata device connected now, will have to get an ide optical. Had to also rig up 2 120mm front fans using cable ties, because the guy I bought the armor off had taken out the caddy where the 120mm fan usually goes, and I already have dual outtake and top fans. Eventually got my Jeantech Storm to power these babys too, to my surprise, the 2nd card is on the 3rd 12v by itself, which is only 18a but it seems grand so far, played 10 minutes of Crysis. So my case is a mess, looks like crap, the wiring is shoddy, but...it works. Here's a picture of Crysis in its full 1920x1200 high-max settings 2xAA at 40-60fps. Definitely the most powerful machine I've owned to date, hooray! :D

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x204/havokie/Crysis2009-06-0313-57-14-73-1.jpg?t=1244035054

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Thats nice wires down the bottom are a bit messy though.

Is that the antec 900 yeah?

Nice man wish my rig would play crysis like that get like 15 - 25 fps on mine hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

Folks,
    Just checking out all the setups and all are very impressive. I do have one question though kind of directed at allen175 but someone else may be able to inform me.
    anyway the setup of the fans, it looks to me that the two fans on the case are sucking air in "assumption due to them being opposite to that on HS" and the one on HS blowing air out. Question! is this how all setups are done? am i wrong in thinking that there is going to be some confliction between the hot air coming off HS and the cool air blowing at it would this not be "inefficient" as a means of cooling.
    i would of thought that turning the side casing fan around to blow air out would be a better method of removing warm air from system what with the fan at the rear bringing cool air in,

anyway i am curious to know because i plan to build something soon and would like to get peoples opinions from experience.

also dont mean to single out allen175 surperb build but just as an example,

does the position/direction/Number of fans have such an impact that it can greatly reduce performance.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Folks,
    Just checking out all the setups and all are very impressive. I do have one question though kind of directed at allen175 but someone else may be able to inform me.
    anyway the setup of the fans, it looks to me that the two fans on the case are sucking air in "assumption due to them being opposite to that on HS" and the one on HS blowing air out. Question! is this how all setups are done? am i wrong in thinking that there is going to be some confliction between the hot air coming off HS and the cool air blowing at it would this not be "inefficient" as a means of cooling.
    i would of thought that turning the side casing fan around to blow air out would be a better method of removing warm air from system what with the fan at the rear bringing cool air in,

anyway i am curious to know because i plan to build something soon and would like to get peoples opinions from experience.

also dont mean to single out allen175 surperb build but just as an example,

does the position/direction/Number of fans have such an impact that it can greatly reduce performance.

cheers
    usually you want to keep all the air moving in one direction so as not to have turbulance and hotspots inside the case , air comes in the front and is usually ejected out the top , side or back. The intel Heatsinks aren't the most efficent but are very quiet .Most cpu coolers , like the Scythe ninja , TT120 ,Ifx14 , Tuniq , all push are through the cooling fins and out towards the rear exhaust fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

3 years old but still going strong! :D

Spec :

CPU: Intel QX6700 Watercooled @ 3.4ghz Stable
    CASE: Silverstone TJ07
    MOTHERBOARD: eVGA 680i SLI Watercooled
    MEMORY: 4gb OCZ PC29200 Flex Watercooled
    GRAPHICS: 2 x nVidia 8800 GTX GDDR3 Watercooled
    HDD1: 2 x 150gb WD Raptors
    HDD2: 500gb WD 16mb Cache NCQ SATA II
    SOUND: Creative X-Fi FATAL1TY Extreme Gamer
    OPTICAL: 2 x Pioneer 16x16 111BK
    PSU: Tagan 1100w TurboJet Quad SLI Silent
    UV MODDING: Blue
    MONITOR : Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW
    KEYBOARD : Logitech G15
    MOUSE : Logitech G7 Carbon Edition
    SPEAKERS : Logitech Z5500 Speakers
    HEADSET : Razer Barracuda
    MOUSE MAT : Steelseries Steelpad 5L Mouse Mat

aphros-temjin-bluegreen.jpg

YUM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Here's the machine I put together last summer, with a Q9450, an Asus Rampage and a HD4870:

2iuozo7.jpg

I'm kind of thinking of dumping the Big Tower case on account of it being so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Heres a few pics of my HAF-932.
    imgp1085j.jpg
    imgp1087z.jpg
    imgp1095p.jpg
    Intel Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz
    Asus Rampage Formula
    2GB Crucial Tracer RAM
    Samsung F1 500GB
    TT 700W PSU
    EVGA Geforce GTX260 Core 216 626/1349/1054
    Coolermaster Haf 932
    Black Ice 360mm rad
    D-Tek FuZion V2 cpu block
    Laing DDC-1T
    EK 100 Res

Heres a few pics of my HAF-932.
    imgp1085j.jpg
    imgp1087z.jpg
    imgp1095p.jpg

Nice man how much did that set you back?

• Advertisement

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Nice man how much did that set you back?
    Thanks mate, around €1300.

Wish i had that kind of money :D

stil using my core 2 duo 2.8 rig things getting old now haha

White_Wolf wrote: »
    Wish i had that kind of money :D

stil using my core 2 duo 2.8 rig things getting old now haha
    Most of the parts are from a previous build, only replaced the mobo, case and HD this time round. The DVD drive is nearly 3 years old :p

haha ive knoticed that with my builds the dvd drive is the most reused part of the pc haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

mobo back and working after some initial panic I'd have to RMA it again :p

updated pics of the noctua hsf; redid the cables some; front fans not powered as too much hassle even with the modular psu.

i7-920 @ stock.
    noctua nf-p12
    msi x58 platinum
    12Gb DDR3 1333
    1.5 TB storage (250+500+750 but my OS drive is clicking so considering ripping out all 3 in place of a 60gb ssd + 2*1tb drives)
    4870 unflashed

cpjspiffsrd8hr0khic.jpg
    tyzb88fn2ata43k3tyts.jpg
    4qbo3hmidn3eh1uv9gp.jpg
    r2es415vrl7w7czjms.jpg
    yha3k1jfzkrtji4o1y4i.jpg
    u5mappx8re9j5dgder2g.jpg
    9r81o1gxspg420xjgztp.jpg[

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nice system you've got there, Kaimera.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mattieb

Like the Guinness mouse pad kaimera! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

Sorry it took so long to get these up, the final build I ordered was slightly different than the one in the Budget Gaming PC thread between things not being in stock and me changing my mind on what I wanted. A bit blurry, but you get the idea:

IMG_1934.jpg?t=1247328235

The guts:

IMG_1937.jpg?t=1247328292

Cable management wasn't exactly high up on the list :pac:
    When I finally got it up and running and installed the OS I realised that I had left off the I/O shield so there was a big gaping hole on the back. Had to take out the GPU and motherboard just to put it in :(

Spec:
    Antec Three Hundred
    Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G
    Corsair VX450W
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
    Sapphire HD 4850 512MB
    Samsung HD322HJ
    4GB DDR2 Corsair Twin2X CL5
    LG GH22NS40/NS30 SATA II
    LG Flatron W2242T-PF
    Creative Fatality Headset

Between that and the mouse, keyboard, surge protector, etc. it ended up being a lot more than I thought it would be.

Finally! Someone with cable routing worse than mine! :D

• Advertisement

daverage wrote: »
    Between that and the mouse, keyboard, surge protector, etc. it ended up being a lot more than I thought it would be.

Yeah, those 'hidden' costs are a killer really. Unless you're me, and using a keyboard from a Dell ordered in 2003 and a travel optical mouse so old that....it's just always been part of your life, not unlike a family pet. Oh, and also steal surge protected sockets from your parents place when you're visiting. Thanks to these factors, the price you see is the price you pay!

Advertisement