Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hate crime nonsense

Comments

Annasopra wrote: »
    But Minister McEntee has clearly outlined how this legislation wouldn't be like that. There would have to be proof of the hate part of it.

"The new offences also carry a provision for an alternative verdict, where the ‘hate’ element of the offence has not been proven. In such cases, the person can be found guilty of the ordinary version of the offence, rather than the aggravated version."

All bull****. You can't prove hate no more than you can prove happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

"The new offences also carry a provision for an alternative verdict, where the ‘hate’ element of the offence has not been proven. In such cases, the person can be found guilty of the ordinary version of the offence, rather than the aggravated version."
    So let's say someone knife attacks someone, what would the 'ordinary version' of that offence be, as opposed to the hate version?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eleventh wrote: »
    So let's say someone knife attacks someone, what would the 'ordinary version' of that offence be, as opposed to the hate version?

If someone knifes someone thats a crime.

If someone knifes while screaming "you black bastard" thats a crime and a hate crime.

Under the new proposed law the knifing incident plus the racist element to it would goto court. If the racist element could not be proven but the knifing could then its assault maybe even attempted murder etc. If it can be proved there was a hate element i.e. racist abuse in this case then the sentence could be increased.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Of course you can prove hate. If someone is shouting racist abuse while carrying out an assault that is clearly a hate crime based on race.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If you cross the road if you see someone walking a Greyhound/Rottweiler/Akita/Boxer/Bulldog (on a leash) , does it make you doggist if you don't cross the road when encountering similarly leashed dogs ie Labrador/Pug/Pomeranian?

It's evolution - fear is learned, and is grounded in reason and experience...

Not a response to any post in particular; just trying to get the 'logic count' up on the thread.. :cool: (obligatory smiley - that one felt most apt)

Fear does not excuse violently beating someone up because they are a traveller or black or japanese or gay.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Fear does not excuse violently beating someone up because they are a traveller or black or japanese or gay.

I was talking about avoidance.... Pretty much the opposite of what you are allowed to infer :rolleyes:

Same old tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

If someone knifes while screaming "you black bastard" thats a crime and a hate crime. .
    Is it possible to hate someone and not shout it like that?

The way you described that it sounds like someone not right in the head (probably could get a reduced sentence on that basis).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭MFPM

What an utterly absurd statement.

Of course you can prove hate. If someone is shouting racist abuse while carrying out an assault that is clearly a hate crime based on race.

If someone shouts "you fat bastard" while stabbing someone, should it have less of a sentence than someone shouting "you black bastard"? Or is it the same?

If someone remains mute while stabbing someone, should they get a lesser sentence than someone who was being a big meany with his words as he was plunging a knife into someone.

MFPM wrote: »
    What an utterly absurd statement.

It's absolutely not absurd.

• Advertisement

If someone shouts "you fat bastard" while stabbing someone, should it have less of a sentence than someone shouting "you black bastard"? Or is it the same?

If someone remains mute while stabbing someone, should they get a lesser sentence than someone who was being a big meany with his words as he was plunging a knife into someone.

Whatabout whataboutery

Terry Pratchet

Whatabout whataboutery

Funnily enough yes. I am asking "what" you would do "about" the sentencing of crimes with regards to hate crimes.

You seem to believe that using racist language while stabbing someone, is deserving of a harsher penalty than plain old friendly stabbing.

I just wanted you to clarify your interpretation of the word "hate" in "hate crime"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sentencing is intended to serve a number of functions which include;
    The criminal is penalised for their action by losing their freedom.
    It serves as a deterrent to others who may consider carrying out such a crime. There are more, but let's leave it at that for now.

In the instance you described, calling someone a Black B while stabbing them may indicate that the motivation for the stabbing was something to do with the person being black.
    Considerations of race are a sensitive subject in society for s vast number of reasons and so the emergence of the news that someone was attacked for possibly this reason may provoke others of different race backgrounds to further inflame sentiment with either words, or actions of their own.
    This is not going to be the case if someone was stabbed while the perpetrator screamed about their weight although it would still be seen as an irrational and baseless reason for which to possibly attack someone.

And so, a stabbing incident which may appear to have been motivated for particularly hateful reason, which may also provoke further public discomfort or unrest is deserving as being considered with this in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭davidx40

This country is gone bananas , when Enda Kenny gave the travellers there license to do what ever the **** they want it was game over .....everyone has rights in this country bar the the average working Irish people earning enough to pay bills .....where is this political correctness going to end

davidx40 wrote: »
    This country is gone bananas , when Enda Kenny gave the travellers there license to do what ever the **** they want it was game over .....everyone has rights in this country bar the the average working Irish people earning enough to pay bills .....where is this political correctness going to end

Such absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ffs.

Way to show horn a pet hate in to a different discussion with absolutely no relevance to it.

Sentencing is intended to serve a number of functions which include;
    The criminal is penalised for their action by losing their freedom.
    It serves as a deterrent to others who may consider carrying out such a crime. There are more, but let's leave it at that for now.

In the instance you described, calling someone a Black B while stabbing them may indicate that the motivation for the stabbing was something to do with the person being black.
    Considerations of race are a sensitive subject in society for s vast number of reasons and so the emergence of the news that someone was attacked for possibly this reason may provoke others of different race backgrounds to further inflame sentiment with either words, or actions of their own.
    This is not going to be the case if someone was stabbed while the perpetrator screamed about their weight although it would still be seen as an irrational and baseless reason for which to possibly attack someone.

And so, a stabbing incident which may appear to have been motivated for particularly hateful reason, which may also provoke further public discomfort or unrest is deserving as being considered with this in mind.

So in other words, and just to make sure I am not misrepresenting you, you believe there should be harsher punishment if you use racist language while stabbing someone than if you stayed silent while stabbing them?

Should a crime be punished more if it was done by someone using racial slurs or by, I dunno, a jilted spouse?

Funnily enough yes. I am asking "what" you would do "about" the sentencing of crimes with regards to hate crimes.

You seem to believe that using racist language while stabbing someone, is deserving of a harsher penalty than plain old friendly stabbing.

I just wanted you to clarify your interpretation of the word "hate" in "hate crime"

Yes I do

Because the person is clearly targeted because of the colour of their skin. I cant actually take your arguments in good faith or seriously though because you are being so insincere and facetious.

Terry Pratchet

So in other words, and just to make sure I am not misrepresenting you, you believe there should be harsher punishment if you use racist language while stabbing someone than if you stayed silent while stabbing them?

Should a crime be punished more if it was done by someone using racial slurs or by, I dunno, a jilted spouse?

For me I believe if someone is stabbed because of their skin colour yes then there should be harsher punishment.

Terry Pratchet

Whats your point? Are arguing you should have rights to be bigoted and hateful?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

For me I believe if someone is stabbed because of their skin colour yes then there should be harsher punishment.

It's only 9:24am but I think you've already topped out my list of 'most ridiculous things I'll read today'.

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's only 9:24am but I think you've already topped out my list of 'most ridiculous things I'll read today'.

Hate crimes tell people that they are not safe simply because of who they are. They tell people because of their identity that they are of lesser value to society than others. The psychological impacts and social isolation resulting from racist abuse and violence and the financial impacts for people forced to leave jobs and move homes are illustrated clearly in Irish Network Against Racisms 2020 Hate Crime report. I think its a good thing that we are bringing in Hate Crime Legislation. It seeks to address that imbalance where people are treated as lesser human beings because of their identity.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Hate crimes tell people that they are not safe simply because of who they are. They tell people because of their identity that they are of lesser value to society than others. The psychological impacts and social isolation resulting from racist abuse and violence and the financial impacts for people forced to leave jobs and move homes are illustrated clearly in Irish Network Against Racisms 2020 Hate Crime report. I think its a good thing that we are bringing in Hate Crime Legislation. It seeks to address that imbalance where people are treated as lesser human beings because of their identity.

I understand and can admire how we must constantly update and change our laws as the demographics of the country change.
    Hate crime laws when for example 1.6% of the population are black people. We should continue to change our laws, thoughts, traditions etc etc as the makeup of a population changes to accommodate those from around the world who decide to move here.
    With demographics being destiny it makes sense to change Ireland early and consistently.

Plus nobody in this country has a right to attack others because of where they come from, their culture or the colour of their skin. Irish people must adapt to the changes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

StemCell wrote: »
    I was beaten by an African on a bus, 90 witnesses, CC tv etc...
    Caught by the guards. He didn't even get charged.

I'd nearly vote for Sinn Fein if I taught their historic vigil ante justice would clean up the country.

Surely this is a hate crime ?
    To the people that support this hate crime legislation , is the above a hate crime ?

if not - why not ?

My own view is it's not, it's an assault , thats the crime and should have been dealt with.
    The problem is with the hate crime angle, it appears to be a one way street.

I understand and can admire how we must constantly update and change our laws as the demographics of the country change.
    Hate crime laws when for example 1.6% of the population are black people. We should continue to change our laws, thoughts, traditions etc etc as the makeup of a population changes to accommodate those from around the world who decide to move here.
    With demographics being destiny it makes sense to change Ireland early and consistently.

Plus nobody in this country has a right to attack others because of where they come from, their culture or the colour of their skin. Irish people must adapt to the changes

This first bit that I put in bold misses the point a bit. We are not only talking about hate crimes against black people but against people based on their : Race, Colour, Nationality, Religion, Ethnic or national origin, Sexual orientation, Gender, Disability

The second bit is more to the point. The reality is that many people are attacked because of their identity and this is growing. I think thats an important point that Irish society must examine how it reacts to people who are seen as different or othered by the majority. Also there seems to be sometimes this perception that you cant be black and Irish.

Terry Pratchet

Surely this is a hate crime ?
    To the people that support this hate crime legislation , is the above a hate crime ?

if not - why not ?

My own view is it's not, it's an assault , thats the crime and should have been dealt with.
    The problem is with the hate crime angle, it appears to be a one way street.

I dont know.

If in this case the Black man targeted this person based on their Race, Colour, Nationality, Religion, Ethnic or national origin, Sexual orientation, Gender or Disability then it possibly is.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think you're overthinking this somewhat in relation to your earlier point, I don't disagree the impact of racist crimes. They're terrible. However, assaults such as stabbings shouldn't be 'graded' because of skin colour/motivation. It shouldn't enter into the equation.

If I was stabbed by someone in the city centre in a robbery, I'd horrified if I heard my assaulter receiver a lesser sentence than another stabber because the victim in that case happened to have a different skin colour.

The human impact of such an assault is awful, be it racially motivated or not. I remember being mugged as 14 year old teenager in Dublin city centre many moons ago and it had me absolutely terrified to go back in for a long time as I thought I'd be targeted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This first bit that I put in bold misses the point a bit. We are not only talking about hate crimes against black people but against people based on their : Race, Colour, Nationality, Religion, Ethnic or national origin, Sexual orientation, Gender, Disability

The second bit is more to the point. The reality is that many people are attacked because of their identity and this is growing. I think thats an important point that Irish society must examine how it reacts to people who are seen as different or othered by the majority. Also there seems to be sometimes this perception that you cant be black and Irish.

Points like this are somewhat dishonest, because there's two different approaches to "Irishness". Genetically, an African is not an Irish person. It's an absolute statement of fact. Culturally though, they can be Irish. It's a very new, and modern view, that says that cultures have nothing to do with ethnic groups. It's literally a product of the last 5 years or so. So in my view the former is a statement of fact without any malice, whereas if I said that they can't be culturally Irish, then you could argue that there's an element of hatred. To some people, there's no distinction, both statements are hateful, even though they are very different.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think you're overthinking this somewhat in relation to your earlier point, I don't disagree the impact of racist crimes. They're terrible. However, assaults such as stabbings shouldn't be 'graded' because of skin colour/motivation. It shouldn't enter into the equation.

If I was stabbed by someone in the city centre in a robbery, I'd horrified if I heard my assaulter receiver a lesser sentence than another stabber because the victim in that case happened to have a different skin colour.

The human impact of such an assault is awful, be it racially motivated or not. I remember being mugged as 14 year old teenager in Dublin city centre many moons ago and it had me absolutely terrified to go back in for a long time as I thought I'd be targeted again.

But if you were black and that attack was also targeting you because you were black then the impact on you would be even worse again. So I actually disagree with you when you say that you dont disagree on the impact of racist crimes because you actually do seem to think that the impact of a crime against you versus the impact of a racially motivated hate crime has the same impact.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Points like this are somewhat dishonest, because there's two different approaches to "Irishness". Genetically, an African is not an Irish person. It's an absolute statement of fact. Culturally though, they can be Irish. It's a very new, and modern view, that says that cultures have nothing to do with ethnic groups. It's literally a product of the last 5 years or so. So in my view the former is a statement of fact without any malice, whereas if I said that they can't be culturally Irish, then you could argue that there's an element of hatred. To some people, there's no distinction, both statements are hateful, even though they are very different.

There are black Irish people born in Ireland to an Irish parent.
    So nothing to do with your 'culturally ' irish.

Advertisement