Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Splitting sat feed

Options
  • 18-04-2021 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

I've never done this before but am considering doing it for my parents for uk fta because the dish is on the chimney and too awkward to get to to add an extra cable to the lnb.
    Thinking of putting a splitter on the existing feed/cable and adding a 2nd cable to that to run in to the kitchen, would both sat receivers running at the same time have any/much effect on signal strength?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Each receiver requires a separate feed from the LNB on the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

You can only do it if you use Unicable. You'll need to use a Unicable LNB at the dish, and then the splitter inside your home to go to each TV point. Then you set each receiver to a different frequency in the settings. Make sure your box/TV is compatible with Unicable beforehand.

I have the LNB and splitter from here and it works perfectly on my Tiviar Openvix box

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/universal-and-unicable-lnb/gt-sat-unicable-lnb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

spooner_j wrote: »
    You can only do it if you use Unicable. You'll need to use a Unicable LNB at the dish, and then the splitter inside your home to go to each TV point. Then you set each receiver to a different frequency in the settings. Make sure your box/TV is compatible with Unicable beforehand.

I have the LNB and splitter from here and it works perfectly on my Tiviar Openvix box

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/universal-and-unicable-lnb/gt-sat-unicable-lnb

Good info thanks, did not know that. If I've to get up to the dish to change lnb's I'll probably just add another cable to the existing one to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

if there's wifi you can share the signal over that between linux boxes (client mode)

one box wouldn't even need a feed cable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was about to post a similar question on the Tiviar thread.

My dish is about to fall off and I've an unused sky one in the shed. I'm hoping to put it up in the next few weeks. While I'm doing it I want to tidy things up. At the minute I've a quad LNB with 2 outlets going to the Tiviar and 1 to a new LG TV. There's also a saorview cable running along the house with them and they are looking a bit messy.

If I was to get a unicable LNB and a 2 way splitter, would the LG tv be compatible or does it need a legacy output from the LNB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

sligojoek wrote:
    If I was to get a unicable LNB and a 2 way splitter, would the LG tv be compatible or does it need a legacy output from the LNB?

Post the model number and we can check the specs

dubrov wrote: »
    Post the model number and we can check the specs

32LM6300PLA

Thanks. I had a quick Google last night but couldn't find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

I had a look for you and found the manual its in settings, so look for unicable turn it on and a menu should guide you.

http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w19_mr/dvb/Apps/w4.5_mr_e06/e_eng/settings.html#

Let us know how you get on. I have not advanced to uniable yet but wished it had been available a few years ago!!

As the tiviar as has 2 inputs might be an idea to get a 3 way splitter.

swoofer wrote: »
    I had a look for you and found the manual its in settings, so look for unicable turn it on and a menu should guide you.

http://kr.eguide.lgappstv.com/manual/w19_mr/dvb/Apps/w4.5_mr_e06/e_eng/settings.html#

Let us know how you get on. I have not advanced to uniable yet but wished it had been available a few years ago!!

As the tiviar as has 2 inputs might be an idea to get a 3 way splitter.

That was my next question. I'll get a 4 way as I'll probably run another Enigma box with the LG TV for watching recordings on the Tiviar at a later stage. The two TVs are almost back to back with a wall between them so the cabling is easy and the holes are there already

Thanks for that link. I've it saved for again. I have this TV a few weeks but have done no more than tune Saorview, Satellite and sign into Netflix and Youtube. I went through the menus and found the unicable on/off option and it's all there. I'll be doing this sooner rather than later now. I came home this evening and all the H/Horizontal channels are gone on both units so I reckon the LNB is goosed anyway. I was trying to justify the cost to the OH the other day

Full steam ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

sligojoek wrote: »
    That was my next question. I'll get a 4 way as I'll probably run another Enigma box with the LG TV for watching recordings on the Tiviar at a later stage. The two TVs are almost back to back with a wall between them so the cabling is easy and the holes are there already

Thanks for that link. I've it saved for again. I have this TV a few weeks but have done no more than tune Saorview, Satellite and sign into Netflix and Youtube. I went through the menus and found the unicable on/off option and it's all there. I'll be doing this sooner rather than later now. I came home this evening and all the H/Horizontal channels are gone on both units so I reckon the LNB is goosed anyway. I was trying to justify the cost to the OH the other day

Full steam ahead.

I have a the same setup with an LG TV and a separate Tiviar and couldn't get the LG working with Unicable. Tried every possible combination of settings and it just doesn't work even though there are menu options for Unicable. So be warned, no guarantee it'll work with the LG...

• Advertisement
Advertisement