Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taking decorations down. 6th or 7th?

• 06-01-2021 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered many times before but what is the correct traditional day to take down the decorations? The 6th or the 7th?

I'd be thinking they stay up for the 6th? You hear many saying they take them down on the 6th however....

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sorry if this has been covered many times before but what is the correct traditional day to take down the decorations? The 6th or the 7th?

I'd be thinking they stay up for the 6th? You hear many saying they take them down on the 6th however....

I leave them up on the 6th and take them down there after, unless the 6th lands on a Sunday, it's easier to take them down then before work on Monday, mid-week I leave them up until the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

All inside non-lightables came down today. Outside lights on tonight for last time and will come down tomorrow or Friday. Everything packed away back in the attic by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My usual is stay up until midnight on the 6th, then turn off the lights and take a token decoration off the tree then all down on the 7th.

This year I'm on team make January sparkle so the tree is up for the foreseeable. Will take the wreath off the front door and change my doorbell ringtone tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Lights lighting tonight 6th until midnight here too then all down tomorrow. Often I have stuff put away before today but the lights would always remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Took everything down last Sunday 3rd as we were back to work on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

6th. Took all ours down today and cleaned up the detritus that results from removing the decorations. I have no idea why it should make such a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

27th

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I will turn out the lights tonight before going to bed, everything will be boxed up on Saturday when I'm off work for the weekend. Will probably get a takeaway then to cheer myself up and as a reward for my hard work. :)

I am leaving one Christmas tree up for the month though, because things are so dismal right now.

I couldn't not have the tree up and lights on for the epiphany and little christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Everything switched on the 6th.
    Window and outdoor stuff come down on the 7th.
    We generally light the living room tree once the curtains are closed for a few extra days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Last night I turned off the outside lights and tree lights, took a few bits off the tree.

Today everything is down except outside lights (we leave them up, for celebrations) and the Cribs for which I have a sentimental attachment: I usually let the Three Kings stay in visiting mode for a week or so. They only arrived yesterday so it's only fair to let them have their turn.

Everything else is in boxes or bags and back in the attic, to await next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Day Lewin wrote: »

Everything else is in boxes or bags and back in the attic, to await next year.

This year you mean!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    This year you mean!!

Definitely sounds better when you say this Christmas rather that next Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ginger83 wrote: »
    27th

Same

TRS30 wrote: »
    Definitely sounds better when you say this Christmas rather that next Christmas!

To be fair, I'm guilty of that myself, its an easy slip to refer to the one just gone as this christmas & the one 11 months away as next christmas. But we're in a new year now so we need to embrace the countodown to christmas this year now :)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Eldudeson

Try to take all indoor stuff down on the 7th and pack it away in the attic. Usually takes about 2 hours after the kids are asleep.

I leave the outdoor lights till the weekend along with any big tidying up and re-arranging furniture.

All to be done with wine in the Christmas glasses though. They're packed away last!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Eldudeson wrote: »
    Try to take all indoor stuff down on the 7th and pack it away in the attic. Usually takes about 2 hours after the kids are asleep.

I hate putting away the Christmas decorations mostly cause it takes so long, putting them up is fine cause there's a buzz in the air putting them up time flies by!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Normally I'd take the decorations down on the January 7th. This year I'll be leaving them up for a while longer. Things are just too dark at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

Did it on the first.

Loughc wrote: »
    I hate putting away the Christmas decorations mostly cause it takes so long, putting them up is fine cause there's a buzz in the air putting them up time flies by!

Agree. Love the buzz associated with putting them up, as we do it on the day of the late late toy show we tend to get abtake away to treat ourselves & I'll have a beer & the Mrs a wine while we wtahc with the kids, its one of the best days in the build up.

I find taking them down quite emotional and I always feel sad doing so. Though as much as I love them we like to get back to normal as soon as we can to tidy up & have the house clean & tidy before we head back to work, couldnt face taking them down after a day in work, and as you say it seems to take so long, especially for us with so much to take down & box away properly so we have everything organised for when we take them out again in November.

Still not finished! Took the outside decorations in yesterday and let them dry over night. Have to box them up or put bigger ones in the shed. All the other decorations are in boxes in the attic, have to lift them into the eves, hope they all fit!!

Will finish off with a proper dust and hoover and all done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Candlemas ie February 2nd.

Christmas has 40 days. Wise thinking in the darkness of winter...
    in pre-electricity times

I did remove the tree. a small artificial one, as I am cramped for space, and also the tree is a fairly recent tradition.

But the Crib is still here and the lights around it, and over the window.

So a long while yet of small bright scraps of colour to cheer winter life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Would normally take down the decorations the weekend before the 6th. This year it became the weekend after the 6th due to illness and tbh it was a weird week in the world so I wanted them up. So we’re nearly down now. Much much later than normal!

To be fair, in my opinion anyway, there's no right or wrong time to take decorations down (or put them up) put them up as early as you want and take them down as late as you want.
    I know people who put them up less than a week before Christmas and take them down NYD. And if that suits their circumstances, so be it.
    I do draw the line at people taking them down before new years though, thats at the stage of why bother.... and I know 1 or 2 that take them down on the 27th and one nutter that takes hers down Stephens morning!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I couldn't take them down before Little Christmas, but exactly, it's what suits the individual! :)

To be fair, in my opinion anyway, there's no right or wrong time to take decorations down (or put them up) put them up as early as you want and take them down as late as you want.
    I know people who put them up less than a week before Christmas and take them down NYD. And if that suits their circumstances, so be it.
    I do draw the line at people taking them down before new years though, thats at the stage of why bother.... and I know 1 or 2 that take them down on the 27th and one nutter that takes hers down Stephens morning!

Haha

There's no right or wrong time but there is a wrong time

Gotcha

lawred2 wrote: »
    Haha

There's no right or wrong time but there is a wrong time

Gotcha

Fair enough i may have worded it poorly.

Its just the extreme of having thrm up for a few days that I'd question the point of, especially given the work involved.

Fair enough i may have worded it poorly.

Its just the extreme of having thrm up for a few days that I'd question the point of, especially given the work involved.

Have ours up at the start December. 27th is long enough.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Have ours up at the start December. 27th is long enough.

Personally I find it strange that people take down their Christmas decorations while it’s still Christmas.

Personally I find it strange that people take down their Christmas decorations while it’s still Christmas.

Sure isn't everyone different.

• Advertisement

We usually wait until after Little Christmas / Nollaig na mBan, so we took ours down yesterday as we both had the day off work, and finished cleaning the house today. We've left one or two things up that aren't noticeably Christmassy.

Advertisement