Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on applying as a Mature Student

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Hey Larianne, just want to thank you for all your advice in this thread, I followed it and got my course! I'm so very happy so thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

fionav3 wrote: »
    Hey Larianne, just want to thank you for all your advice in this thread, I followed it and got my course! I'm so very happy so thank you.

Brilliant!!! Congratulations!

It's only a guide really. You have to do all the hard work yourself. Keep us all updated on how you are getting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭hippy_hi

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you very much for all of your info on applying, I was lost at first and your advice really did help me. I got offered my first choice in WIT. Im so excited and nervous at the same time and its all down to your help.

Your a star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Hey Larianne

Just wanted to say a big thanks for your help :).. It was tops, :cool:....

I just wanted to say that i got my place because of her help:D...
    But I will say one thing from the point of view of writing the letter,
    you gotta sell your self to the course show why you wanna do it if you have any rel-vent experience most of all, charm the pants of that person with your intelligence... Show that your looking at that bigger picture...

just My two cents, if any one in the future whos applying for college as a mature student who wants to see the letter for my application all you gotta do is pm me and you can have a look It may help some of you if your wondering what to put in, either way i was given help, so its only fitting i contribute, So all you need to do is ask :)

One again Larianne thansk so much for all your time and help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Hi Larianne and others,

Big thanks to you and to all the contributors here, your advice was invaluable to me:)

I was accepted to do the B. Ed. (primary teaching) in St. Pat's starting September, and am delighted.
    Your advice was very good for putting my mind at ease and I, like Snow-Monkey^^^, don't mind showing anybody my personal statement or going through the interview process here.

Thanks again Larianne, you're a star.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hooty

Hello Larianne,

Firstly many thanks for posting your tips on the mature student application process at the start of this thread, like many others i had completley underestimated the amount of hard work and paperwork needed to apply!! I too want to study physio at Trinity. I'm hoping to apply for the 2011 intake but I'm reading up as much as I can on it at this stage so I am well informed.

Can I just ask you a few questions in regards to your direct experience - apologies if I repeat any questions you have already replied to.

1. Is there much competition for mature student places on this course - i'm assuming there is, are there many in your current year?

2. How has life been adapting to college life? I think this is the part I find most scary, it's been a long time since I last studied (I have a 2 year Certificate in Food Technology from DIT but completed that in 1998). If by some miracle I was accepted in 2011 I'd be 33 years old starting out on a four year degree - this slightly terrifies me!!

3. In regards to the appliction process, in your opinion is it essential that you have work experience in a physio related field, the vast majority of my work experience is in Financial Services, I do get the feeling that my lack of any experience could ruin my chances. I know I have time to arrange some experience, can you advise on what avenues you followed to achieve this?

Any input appreciated.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I wanted to say a big thank you to Larianne and all the posters here for all your valuable information. I have to say this is probably the best place on the net to get any information about applying as a mature student.

If I was to offer my tip it would to try and do a short course or get some experience relevant to the course your are applying for. I found during my interview that they were impressed about the way I was able to talk the talk technically wise (I applied for a computing course) and I believe that is what won it for me.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

best of luck with your application.

Hooty wrote: »
    Hello Larianne,

Firstly many thanks for posting your tips on the mature student application process at the start of this thread, like many others i had completley underestimated the amount of hard work and paperwork needed to apply!! I too want to study physio at Trinity. I'm hoping to apply for the 2011 intake but I'm reading up as much as I can on it at this stage so I am well informed.

Can I just ask you a few questions in regards to your direct experience - apologies if I repeat any questions you have already replied to.

1. Is there much competition for mature student places on this course - i'm assuming there is, are there many in your current year?

2. How has life been adapting to college life? I think this is the part I find most scary, it's been a long time since I last studied (I have a 2 year Certificate in Food Technology from DIT but completed that in 1998). If by some miracle I was accepted in 2011 I'd be 33 years old starting out on a four year degree - this slightly terrifies me!!

3. In regards to the appliction process, in your opinion is it essential that you have work experience in a physio related field, the vast majority of my work experience is in Financial Services, I do get the feeling that my lack of any experience could ruin my chances. I know I have time to arrange some experience, can you advise on what avenues you followed to achieve this?

Any input appreciated.
    Cheers.

PM sent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hooty

Thanks a million for the advice Larianne:)

Thanks a million for the advice Larianne:)

You're welcome. PM me if you're stuck with anything or post on the forum. Here to help and all that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Thanks for your advice Larraine..I got my Arts place. You're a great help to everyone! Paula.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ultimatehero

Hi guys,

Im just wondering if someone here could help me. Like ye I am determined to go back to college and I want to make the best use of my time between now and when I apply at the end of the year as a mature student. For various reasons I want to study medicine however I did not expect to go this route as I was confident of gaining a 2.1 and going the graduate entry route. My degree is in Medical sciences which qualifies us to work as medical scientists in laboratory medicine however i only obtained a 2.2 and so have no option but to head this route. I was just wondering if anyone here could advise me. I am trying to get some experience in the 'caring' environment at present and shodow a gp however is there anything else that could set me apart from the rest. the hse are not hiring at present so i would have to head to england for a job in a hospital lab but which would be more advantageous stay here and get some voluntary caring experience or head to england and work as a medical scientist? Do you think i stand a chance of applying as a mature student? my dad did suffer a brain haemaorrhage when i started back in my final year and things got fairly stressful i think i may have a case for extenuating circustances with regard to that (90% of our degree went on our final year)? I would really appreciate any help anyone could give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hi guys,

Im just wondering if someone here could help me. Like ye I am determined to go back to college and I want to make the best use of my time between now and when I apply at the end of the year as a mature student. For various reasons I want to study medicine however I did not expect to go this route as I was confident of gaining a 2.1 and going the graduate entry route. My degree is in Medical sciences which qualifies us to work as medical scientists in laboratory medicine however i only obtained a 2.2 and so have no option but to head this route. I was just wondering if anyone here could advise me. I am trying to get some experience in the 'caring' environment at present and shodow a gp however is there anything else that could set me apart from the rest. the hse are not hiring at present so i would have to head to england for a job in a hospital lab but which would be more advantageous stay here and get some voluntary caring experience or head to england and work as a medical scientist? Do you think i stand a chance of applying as a mature student? my dad did suffer a brain haemaorrhage when i started back in my final year and things got fairly stressful i think i may have a case for extenuating circustances with regard to that (90% of our degree went on our final year)? I would really appreciate any help anyone could give.

Hi ultimate hero,
    I did the opposite route to you and started medicine and finished with a medical science degree after four years, on deciding to leave the course :)

The fact that your undergraduate is medical science is a huge plus, as the first 3 years of medicine are bascially a medical science degree witha few clinical skills thrown in. Where did you do your degree out of intrest? If it was in a college which has a medicine department you will already know many of the medicine lecturers and they may be able to put in a good word for you?

I only got a 2.2 in my medical Science degree and applied for a competitive postgrad this year that required 2.1 minimum for entry. I got a place on the course as I had decent work experience, which also sounds like you have. Its the content of your degree thats more important than the mark at the end.
    However, you without a doubt have a case for an extenuating circumstance. Your marks suffered in the final year beacuse you were under undue stress with your fathers illness. This would have a massive impact on your ability to study and the college should acknowledge this in your final grade.

I would definately apply for a job in England as you can always do voluntary work part time over there. Don't just sit around in Ireland waiting for a place in medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

Thanks for the guide , its really helpful

I got my arts course, and was initially happy with it, I still am I suppose, but when I filled in the CAO I wasn't sure whether to apply for arts with creative writing also or not ....and now I'm sorry I didn't apply!!
    Does anyone know, if I progress to a post grad/MA, and if I get in, is this generally the same thing overall or a better qualification...or can anyone give me anymore information?

At first when applying I didn't want to limit myself to just creative writing, I wanted more scope...but now I'm bothered!
    Any info appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 littlesister87

Larianne wrote: »
    PM sent!

Hi Larianne,

Excellent posts i must say, You're full of knowledge and encouragement!! Ok il get straight to my point, im 23, have a science degree from NUI Galway and want to do physio.....to do 2nd undergrad in TCD or apply for uk accelerated masters?? can u PM me ur private answers to Hooty if possible? I'd be very interested to get ur take on things!
    Thanks!:)

Hi Larianne,

Excellent posts i must say, You're full of knowledge and encouragement!! Ok il get straight to my point, im 23, have a science degree from NUI Galway and want to do physio.....to do 2nd undergrad in TCD or apply for uk accelerated masters?? can u PM me ur private answers to Hooty if possible? I'd be very interested to get ur take on things!
    Thanks!:)

PM sent to Hooty

Hello Larianne,

Any input appreciated.
    Cheers.

Hey Larianne,
    Sorry I didnt explain myself too well!... i also want to know the answers to the above questions Hooty asked and was wondering if u could let me know ur opinion on these things, as u PM'd Hooty i dont know the answers...

1. Much competition in mature app for physio?
    2. Do u think it'd be tough starting into a 4yr degree after a gap from college?
    3. What work experience u feel wud be v helpful in application process to get accepted above hundreds of others??
    4. Do u think UK pre-reg masters is a better idea if i have no permanent ties to ireland?
    Any help is appreciated!!

Hey Larianne,
    Sorry I didnt explain myself too well!... i also want to know the answers to the above questions Hooty asked and was wondering if u could let me know ur opinion on these things, as u PM'd Hooty i dont know the answers...

1. Much competition in mature app for physio?
    2. Do u think it'd be tough starting into a 4yr degree after a gap from college?
    3. What work experience u feel wud be v helpful in application process to get accepted above hundreds of others??
    4. Do u think UK pre-reg masters is a better idea if i have no permanent ties to ireland?
    Any help is appreciated!!

Oh crap! lol Whoops. :pac:

1.Yes there is a lot of competition for mature students places in Physio. TCD take 3, UCD 3/4, UL 3. As you already have a degree you can apply for the graduate place in RCSI. I think there's only about 3/4 places there too.

2.I guess everyone's different. I hadn't done any type of academic work in 7 years! But as you want to do the course and do well, you do tend to knuckle down and do the work. Having a background in Science will help you immensely, for first year anyway. You'll be used to labs and the scientific jargon. :)

3. Getting any type of shadow experience with a physio will help. Whether it's in a hospital or care home or a private practice. The more you understand about the profession when writing up your application and then in an interview, the better. If you can show the university that you understand Physio is more about sports injuries, they will be impressed!!

Working as a care assistant would also benefit you. It shows you know how to deal with patients with varying illness. It will also allow yourself to see if working in that type of environment every day is something you want to do.

Any type of volunteer work with also increase your chances in getting a place. Could be anything...

4. I would try and see if you could get straight into 2nd year of a Physio degree rather than do the masters. You have a good chance as you've a primary degree in Science. I've heard you don't do as much musculoskeletal study in the masters to the degree course and in fairness, that is a huge area of Physio so you might be out of your depth in certain jobs if you did it that way. There is just no way you could learn everything in 2 years. If it is your only choice, then by all means go that way but I'd try other routes first. I'd also check out studying in University of Ulster. That course is 3 years there and has a great reputation!

Any other queries, PM me!

Thanks Larianne, ur a star!:)

Very helpful as usual!... now i just have to put that tough plan into action (i want physio sooo much!!)! :(

• Advertisement

Thanks Larianne, ur a star!:)

Very helpful as usual!... now i just have to put that tough plan into action (i want physio sooo much!!)! :(

Think positive and don't give up!! Took me 10 years but I finally got there in the end.

:)

Hi larraine..i sent a post the other day about studying arts and wanting to do creative writing as a post grad..someone moved it to a new thread however..arts progression..so now nobody can see it! would u be able to answer my question for me? thanks

Hi larraine..i sent a post the other day about studying arts and wanting to do creative writing as a post grad..someone moved it to a new thread however..arts progression..so now nobody can see it! would u be able to answer my question for me? thanks

I moved your post to it's own thread as it deserved a thread of its own. Unfortunately you didn't get any replies. I've moved your post back to this thread. I can leave it here or if you want to re-write your post and you can start a new thread on it.

I don't know much about progression onto masters etc. Only how to get into 3rd level. :)

OK cheers anyway Larraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 del046

Hi Larianne,
    As a new reg user to boards.ie how can i establish a new thread in Education forum for the exchange of 'professional manuals' for members?
    This i believe to be a worthy and valuable resource.
    Regards,
    Del046

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 angel87

hi, I have problem maybe somebody will advice me.
    so I ve moved from POland to Ireland in 2006.. now I m on jobseekers allowance.. and on 15 september I m starting Nursing course. I was trying to get grants.. I got answer that I m not mature student cos I wasnt 23 years old in january 2010 . My birthday is in may so in january i was still 22.. this is stupid.. so they told me to change from mature student to depend on parents and my parent must to sign that... sorry but from 2006 i dont depend on my parents. so what should i do . my parents live in poland.. and i live here with my boyfriend and my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

angel87 wrote: »
    hi, I have problem maybe somebody will advice me.
    so I ve moved from POland to Ireland in 2006.. now I m on jobseekers allowance.. and on 15 september I m starting Nursing course. I was trying to get grants.. I got answer that I m not mature student cos I wasnt 23 years old in january 2010 . My birthday is in may so in january i was still 22.. this is stupid.. so they told me to change from mature student to depend on parents and my parent must to sign that... sorry but from 2006 i dont depend on my parents. so what should i do . my parents live in poland.. and i live here with my boyfriend and my son.

23 on or before 1st January in the year you commence are the rules for everybody. It was up to you to have checked that before you applied. It is clearly stated in the CAO handbook and on all the third level institution websites. Best thing you can do is follow there advice and get your parents to sign the form. It doesnt matter if you were actually dependent on them or not because as far as the authority are concerned you were and thats all that matters.

EDIT: You cannot claim job seekers allowance once you start college as you are classed as not being available and looking for work so you will lose that. You should contact your social welfare office and they will explain that to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 red200

littlesister87,

hi just came across your post and thought i should reply as i was in the same situation. I too did science in Galway and got into Physio in RCSI. You need at least a 2.1 to apply. As I had a degree before I got to skip foundation year and start 1st year (so did it in 3 years). Approx half the places on the course were graduates, so there are approx 13 places reserved for graduates.
    From what I can remember, the closing date for graduates in RCSI was in feb and got called for an interview in April. The application form is on the RCSI website. As you have a degree already you will have to pay fees for the course think they are approx e9000 at present per year.

With regards the 2 years course, you need at least a 2.1 in your degree to qualify for entry. I had applied for Aberdeen and had a place there but then got offered a place in Ireland. You apply directly to the colleges and most of them were very helpful. I think most of the courses began in January, I cant remember when the closing dates were, have a feeling it was in September. However the two years is very intense, you only get a few weeks off throughout the two years and think it cost in the region of £10,000 per year when I was applying. Aberdeen also wanted me to go over in Sept as I did my degree in Physiology and had not done Anatomy before.

I'd recommend you get in contact with the colleges you are considering, and also spend some time working in healthcare as previous posters have suggested as you will need to fill out personal statements etc and having exp will be a great advantage for this and interviews.
    Hope this helps, don't give up you will get there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 walkamile

I am thinking of applying to trinity college for a place on the undergraduate midwife course for next september. I am sooo nervous, not because im unsure of my choice but just of taking on this commitment. I am a mature student (37) and its a lot to consider. but i know it will be worth it. what should I do first??? Im lost :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 accguy

Larianne wrote: »
    Personal Statement

This IS the biggy. You need to get this one right. This is where you get a chance to sell yourself properly. This is the hardest part of the application. Is it too long? Is it too short? Have I spent too much time talking about this? Do I need to speak about that? Is it too moany?

One important issue re the personal statement that should be stressed is that if you make it specific to a particular course, all the course directors of the courses on the CAO that you have applied for will see it. If you say in your personal statement that it is a lifelong dream to go to university/institute of techonology X, then it is quite unlikely that university/institute of technology Y who are further down your list of choices are going to give you an interview. This would also be quite difficult to explain at an interview.
    You should apply for the courses you want but remember that all material that you put into the CAO is read by the course directors of every course that you put on the CAO list (either level 8 or level 6/7) so try to keep it to the area that you want rather than the specific course.

Advertisement