Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anybody watch Superstore ? I seen it was trending and it has a Parks/The Office vibe about it !
    I’ll chance an episode or two anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

km79 wrote: »
    Anybody watch Superstore ? I seen it was trending and it has a Parks/The Office vibe about it !
    I’ll chance an episode or two anyways

It's grand, not on a par with Parks and Rec but does have a good few funny moments here and there. Near the end of Season 3; very watchable and bingeable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thanks to all who recommended Call My Agent recently. Just finished season 1 and its so good we're stretching the pleasure of future seasons out over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Thanks to all who recommended Call My Agent recently. Just finished season 1 and its so good we're stretching the pleasure of future seasons out over the next few weeks

It's a gem.

I started the new season and it's unfortunately not up to the previous standards. Just as well it's the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I love it too... currently on season 1. Trying to stick to one episode a night :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I’d gladly pay €10 a month for one screen in 4K

Is the 4k much of an improvement over the 1080p on netflix?

I don't have a 4k tv yet but probably be getting one this year so was half thinking of upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fate,a Winx Sags, teen magic and lots of swearing, not my thing but filmed in Wicklow

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Fate,a Winx Sags, teen magic and lots of swearing, not my thing but filmed in Wicklow

Their school is where Nicole Kidman lived in Far & Away

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

The White Tiger is very good. New film about the relationship between a servant and his master in India. A much grittier Slumdog!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Is the 4k much of an improvement over the 1080p on netflix?

I don't have a 4k tv yet but probably be getting one this year so was half thinking of upgrading.

Ah God yeah I’m lucky enough to have an old 4K LG OLED TV and the picture is absolutely phenomenal, I also have a sound bar and subwoofer which makes the whole experience be just like the cinema! For me one of the best examples of 4K is breaking bad, some of the scenes are savage looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Booksmart
    On the eve of high school graduation, star students Molly and Amy vow to make up for lost time as they embark on one night of teenage rebellion.

Happy Death Day 2U
    After surviving her death day countless times, a woman is once again caught in a time loop, but her friends are now victims alongside her.

What They Had
    A woman must cope with her brother urging to put their mother battling dementia in a facility and her father who's committed to keeping his wife home

added

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Booksmart is excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I must be the only weirdo who uses the basic package - we only need one screen in our house so didn't really see the need to pay for more

And I've no interest in 4K or any of that stuff, I'm not sure improving the picture quality improves the actual content - but I accept I'm very much a lone dissenter in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

I must be the only weirdo who uses the basic package - we only need one screen in our house so didn't really see the need to pay for more

And I've no interest in 4K or any of that stuff, I'm not sure improving the picture quality improves the actual content - but I accept I'm very much a lone dissenter in that regard

No i'm the same, HD does me fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

It depends too on your available broadband speed. My best option where I live at the moment until we get the national broadband plan is a 4G router.

4k Netflix requires at least 25Mbps, while HD is only 5Mbps. I can consistently stream HD but 4K wouldn't work when there is contention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We're on the standard (HD) tier, partly because we don't have a 4k TV anyway and that's cos I'm not convinced 4k is worth the cost. I'm one of those old fogeys who likes a little grain in his screen, while 1020p seems perfectly crisp for our purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

4k is absolutely worth it. Watched Terminator 2 in 4k on Apple TV the other day and it was incredible, totally new experience. This was on a 60" tv.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

3 episodes into the History of Swearing series and it's a good laugh. Cage is a great choice of presenter and the episodes are only 20-30 minutes long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Only recently made the jump to 4K, and honestly HDR is more of the game-changer than the raw resolution bump. The way light and colours pop really is just a big enhancement to how films and shows look - as soon as you turn off all the motion smoothing ****e that comes with modern TVs, of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hold on - there's a difference between basic and standard packages. Standard, which is what most have I imagine, is 2 screens and HD. Basic is 1 screen but is standard definition which is completely ridiculous in this day and age.

For the last 6 months or so Vodafone reduced my broadband speed to 10mbs - this is what they thought was an acceptable way to address my connection drop issue - so 4K is out for me until I get out of my Vodafone contract. I got a 4K capable TV last week so I will be tempted but I will take some convincing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I binged Reckoning and I don't know why....I suppose that's a recommendation in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Fysh wrote: »
    3 episodes into the History of Swearing series and it's a good laugh. Cage is a great choice of presenter and the episodes are only 20-30 minutes long.

Cage is great in it indeed and it is easy watching. Bit disappointed they didn't do my favourite swear word - cnut.

Good Brainless Sunday evening watching.

C U Next Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I watching superstore which I think is very good but I’m confused:
    Cheyenne gave birth at the end of season 1 but is pregnant at start of season 2 , is she pregnant with her second child or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

fin12 wrote: »
    Cheyenne gave birth at the end of season 1 but is pregnant at start of season 2 , is she pregnant with her second child or what?

The first episode of series two was basically a special episode aired around the time of the Olympics and is actually out of sequence with how the first season ended. Everything goes back to normal on episode 2.

Had to look that up because I was confused as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

fin12 wrote: »

Couldn't help feel it's based on Sky's Trollied

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

For people who say netflix is **** with no content, I think I am now qualified to say that this is definitely not true. I am in a long distance relationship and what got us through this time during covid is watching series together each evening.

We take turns in picking and accept always what was picked. The list of what we want to watch is as long as the list we have seen, in which included shows that I never in a million years would have watched on my own.

Granted we also use prime but netflix would be used more often.

Before we started doing this, my indecisiveness or laziness prevented me to committing to a series but as we watch and experience the shows together, it made it easier to enjoy and to be honest brought us closer together. In a way netflix saved our relationship. €18 a month is an awful lot cheaper than a couples councilling session so yes, netflix is worth every penny.

The Vanished
    When their daughter disappears during a family vacation, two terrified parents launch their own investigation that soon exposes local secrets.

Despicable Me 2
    Arch-villain Gru and his three orphan girls return for more shady exploits in this wacky animated feature voiced by some of Hollywood's biggest stars.

added

Snowpiercer season 2
    Earth has frozen over and the last surviving humans live on a giant train circling the globe, struggling to coexist amid the delicate balance onboard.

Black Rose
    Struggling in poverty with her single mother and siblings, a principled young woman meets the man of her dreams but soon finds he's keeping secrets.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

peteeeed wrote: »
    Snowpiercer season 2
    Earth has frozen over and the last surviving humans live on a giant train circling the globe, struggling to coexist amid the delicate balance onboard.

added

Oh I've been looking forward to this.I wonder if its true that Sean Bean only takes on roles now where he isn't killed off.Only time will tell :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Watched Sightless over the weekend about a recently blinded violinist, Ellen, stuck in an apartment with only the care assistant, Clayton, that comes to help her everyday the only real contact she has with the outside world. It gets a little silly near the end but it keeps your interest the whole way through. There are nice little touches throughout where Ellen's perception of things around her change when she touches something or because of what Clayton has said to her.

Advertisement