Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

fdevine wrote: »
    Having had three days in Cork in 2020 instead of our planned two weeks in France I now know for certain where I'd rather be facing restrictions.

IRELAND: Four to a hotel room with no outdoor space & a view overlooking the carpark

FRANCE: Three bedrooms, own kitchen, deck, parkland setting, lots of space & fresh air

IRELAND: Prebook time slots for breakfast & dinner. Book 24 hours in advance for c.40 minutes in the small indoor pool or drive to a remote beach with few facilities

FRANCE: Own kitchen for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Option for BBQ. If pools are restricted choose from scores of beaches

Plan for 2021 is that if we can travel we will travel. It might be a slightly different holiday to the one we would ideally have liked but it'll be better than another staycation

We will travel to France, providing no restrictions on the kids club, pool and kids entertainment. The holiday is really for the kids, so if its the same as last year it be a no go.

Its 200 per person for the test I heard? Is this true?
    Would still go if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Its 200 per person for the test I heard? Is this true?
    Would still go if necessary.

Cheapest I have seen for travel purposes is €99 with Randox. They are at Dublin Airport and other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

josip wrote: »
    Do people think that France will still require a PCR test during the height of the holiday season in July and August?
    Even with their reticence for the vaccine, I would expect things to be substantially improved there by then.
    I can't see the PCR requirement lasting beyond the end of April for any European country to be honest.

I sure hope you are right. My fear about the test is one of the group getting a positive out of the blue. Where would that leave the trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Ladylouth wrote: »
    I sure hope you are right. My fear about the test is one of the group getting a positive out of the blue. Where would that leave the trip?

Perhaps it's worth looking into what travel insurance will cover in this case. Generally they'll cover you if one of your immediate family cannot travel for medical reasons, however it's worth checking if a positive covid result is included in this

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Perhaps it's worth looking into what travel insurance will cover in this case. Generally they'll cover you if one of your immediate family cannot travel for medical reasons, however it's worth checking if a positive covid result is included in this

I think in the last 12 months all insurance companies put in Covid cop outs in their policies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

based on when groups will be vaccinated, we've decided not to go to France this summer.
    and we had a voucher from 2020.

booked a holiday home in Kerry for 2 weeks instead, and the price was reasonable considering location and the standard of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

based on when groups will be vaccinated, we've decided not to go to France this summer.
    and we had a voucher from 2020.

booked a holiday home in Kerry for 2 weeks instead, and the price was reasonable considering location and the standard of the house.

I’m in same boat and beginning to look at accommodation in Ireland. I’ve always seen 2021 holiday abroad as up in the air (at best 50/50) and I’m less confident now. I don’t need to make any decisions yet but would rather have 2 holidays booked then end up with another disappointing summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m in same boat and beginning to look at accommodation in Ireland. I’ve always seen 2021 holiday abroad as up in the air (at best 50/50) and I’m less confident now. I don’t need to make any decisions yet but would rather have 2 holidays booked then end up with another disappointing summer.

We didn't want to be stressed coming up to the holiday date wondering if we'll get to go.
    Decision made, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

We're pretty determined to go tbh. Unless there's an actual ban on travel, I'm not putting up with what went on last Summer. I'd rather be holidaying quietly somewhere warm than more Ireland, however nice it is.

That said, I have bought long warm wetsuits for the kids JUST in case the very worst happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ellee wrote: »
    We're pretty determined to go tbh. Unless there's an actual ban on travel, I'm not putting up with what went on last Summer. I'd rather be holidaying quietly somewhere warm than more Ireland, however nice it is.

That said, I have bought long warm wetsuits for the kids JUST in case the very worst happens.

We're pretty much the same. Last year we tried on three different occasions to go on holidays in Ireland, but because we live in Offaly, and we were under lockdown for more than the rest of the country, we had to cancel all of these. One occasion was due to a red alert weather warning.

Next year, as long as the planes are flying we will be going to Frejus again. When we go abroad we tend to stick to ourselves anyways, so we'll be pretty much isolating anyways apart from pool time. My wife has the vaccine, and I'm hoping I will by then too, so it's just our son we might have to pay for tests on.

I'm hoping that the traffic light system takes effect before then though and means pretty much free travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

While trying to remain as optimistic as possible given the current situation I am much more pessimistic than this time last year

The weekend news that Spain has ruled out tourism until "late summer" doesn't impact us but one has to wonder if our plan for France this year might be in peril

Only time will tell but everything paid to date is refundable or flexible

Only time will tell but everything paid to date is refundable or flexible

I think this is the way to approach it.
    We are not going to make a decision now. We need to make a decision the 2nd week in May which is 6 weeks ahead of travel. I am hopeful that things may be better by then and if they are not then we will only lose €99 which we initially paid in 2019.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Cheapest I have seen for travel purposes is €99 with Randox. They are at Dublin Airport and other locations.

But that will only do you for on the way out or back?

In case we don't get away, we have hotel booked for a week in July and then another trip in Ireland booked for a week in August.
    Looking more like it we won't get away:(

But that will only do you for on the way out or back?

Way out only.
    IF, and it's a big IF, Ireland require a PCR test inbound by the summer, then you'll need to get one for the way back in whatever country you are in. Someone posted earlier that they are only €54 in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

The problem at the moment is we're all craving certainty and its the one thing we cant get! We're booked to go to France last Saturday of August. Between now and then they'll be lots of changes both good and bad in the situation. That said I'm fairly confident that we,ll be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Way out only.
    IF, and it's a big IF, Ireland require a PCR test inbound by the summer, then you'll need to get one for the way back in whatever country you are in. Someone posted earlier that they are only €54 in France.

And plenty of places to get tested

https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-vaccination-covid.html

yiddo59 wrote: »
    The problem at the moment is we're all craving certainty and its the one thing we cant get! We're booked to go to France last Saturday of August. Between now and then they'll be lots of changes both good and bad in the situation. That said I'm fairly confident that we,ll be going.

Really depends on the numbers. Don't want to be in the scenario where we somehow pick it up over there and then stuck there, indoors with blue skies outside for 14 days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Really depends on the numbers. Don't want to be in the scenario where we somehow pick it up over there and then stuck there, indoors with blue skies outside for 14 days!!

Correct. I just think things will have improved enough by the end of August to enable people to travel safely if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

For anyone that has booked with Tesco vouchers but were unable to travel, did you get vouchers back or just ferry credit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

webpal wrote: »
    For anyone that has booked with Tesco vouchers but were unable to travel, did you get vouchers back or just ferry credit?

Just ferry credit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

Thanks, I have tokens that are expiring this year so might just book a boat trip, may not travel but at least we’ll have ferry credit. Is there time limit on ferry credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

webpal wrote: »
    Thanks, I have tokens that are expiring this year so might just book a boat trip, may not travel but at least we’ll have ferry credit. Is there time limit on ferry credit?

The credit we received for last years postponed holiday had to be re-booked before 31/12/2020...booked again for Summer 2021, but lot of uncertainty around that at moment

Not feeling very positive this weekend about the likelihood of getting to France at the end of June.

Not feeling very positive this weekend about the likelihood of getting to France at the end of June.

Me too unfortunately. Really don't see it happening

Trying to convince the OH that a family tent would be a great investment, especially as staycation rentals are rapidly being booked

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Was looking at tents this weekend too- if we do camping here it would need to be as easy as possible. Was looking at the kampa air tents- it's a big investment and not sure My husband is mad on the idea. Tossing up between buying a tent or some glamping options (e.g. morriscastle).

We're also booked for end June- can't believe it's not looking likely! Waited last minute to book in Ireland last year and only hotels available

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Me too unfortunately. Really don't see it happening

Trying to convince the OH that a family tent would be a great investment, especially as staycation rentals are rapidly being booked

We got a tent couple of years back, had great fun camping in it.

Unfortunately didn't get out last year (for obvious reasons) but hoping we'll get some camping in around Ireland this summer

I do like the idea that on a Friday we can get everything packed up and just head out Saturday for a weekend break

The reality of course is that the big sites tend to book up early, but you can book ahead and if the weather turns for the worse then it isn't a huge amount of money lost if you cancel, unlike hotels or flights

We got a tent with blackout material built into the sleeping compartment, great when you have young kids and don't want them waking up at the crack of dawn :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Now, while we're in the middle of Level 5, it's normal not to be optimistic about the summer prospects.
    But it's important to try to judge what things will be like by then.
    By the end of May, there will be millions of doses of vaccines landing in Ireland monthly.
    Everyone will either have gotten the vaccine or know somebody very close to them who has and the mood will have shifted massively. The end will be near.
    The virus does not spread as well during the summer although the new variants may still spread.
    You may still have to get PCR tests done in order to travel in June, but that would be the only restriction.

MizMix wrote: »
    Was looking at tents this weekend too- if we do camping here it would need to be as easy as possible. Was looking at the kampa air tents- it's a big investment and not sure My husband is mad on the idea. Tossing up between buying a tent or some glamping options (e.g. morriscastle).

We're also booked for end June- can't believe it's not looking likely! Waited last minute to book in Ireland last year and only hotels available

Same as us - €850 for three nights in a hotel.......

We have a decent tent but OH finds it claustrophobic as it's quite compact

<€700 would get us an 8 person, 2-4 bedroom, inflatable tent with ground sheet and carpet

Like cruisey1987 I like the idea of being able to pack up the car on a good weather weekend and escape

• Advertisement

Now, while we're in the middle of Level 5, it's normal not to be optimistic about the summer prospects.
    But it's important to try to judge what things will be like by then.
    By the end of May, there will be millions of doses of vaccines landing in Ireland monthly.
    Everyone will either have gotten the vaccine or know somebody very close to them who has and the mood will have shifted massively. The end will be near.
    The virus does not spread as well during the summer although the new variants may still spread.
    You may still have to get PCR tests done in order to travel in June, but that would be the only restriction.

Thanks for that positive reply.
    We have until mid-May to make a decision.

Advertisement