Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Here we go again!

Options
  • 21-01-2021 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Another lockdown, more crap from our principal. Okay so some might remember me posting last spring/summer about issues we were having with our so called leader and their totally unreasonable behaviour.

But we have now moved on. Not once since Sept did they ask us how we found the online teaching last year, what we would change etc, no talk or provisions for school closing again except telling each teacher to set up their online platform. No issues with that. So last Monday week each teacher had to send out the consent forms for our AUP. Principal in the office for 4 months and this hadn't been done. Again teachers obliged.

Anyway since last week I have been working on seesaw with the kids, uploading videos to help with work, and I am doing 8 zoom calls per week. I also have 2 school going children to help and am doing it alone during the day as my husband is an essential worker. Again All fine I will manage.

Yesterday I received a message from the principal asking for copy of my plans for the week and for the timetable I gave my parents to follow. The Principal wants work timetabled daily from 9 to 240 with the same breaks as school. Is this appropriate for children aged 7 to 9? They won't listen to anything I have to say on the subject as I think this is a totally ridiculous suggestion. I know my parents and at least 50% of them are working outside the home and are doing the work with their kids at 6 and 7pm. Why can't they just to be left alone and pick the work that suits them?? My own kids could not sustain that amount of work!! Im just so frustrated with the situation!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Another lockdown, more crap from our principal. Okay so some might remember me posting last spring/summer about issues we were having with our so called leader and their totally unreasonable behaviour.

But we have now moved on. Not once since Sept did they ask us how we found the online teaching last year, what we would change etc, no talk or provisions for school closing again except telling each teacher to set up their online platform. No issues with that. So last Monday week each teacher had to send out the consent forms for our AUP. Principal in the office for 4 months and this hadn't been done. Again teachers obliged.

Anyway since last week I have been working on seesaw with the kids, uploading videos to help with work, and I am doing 8 zoom calls per week. I also have 2 school going children to help and am doing it alone during the day as my husband is an essential worker. Again All fine I will manage.

Yesterday I received a message from the principal asking for copy of my plans for the week and for the timetable I gave my parents to follow. The Principal wants work timetabled daily from 9 to 240 with the same breaks as school. Is this appropriate for children aged 7 to 9? They won't listen to anything I have to say on the subject as I think this is a totally ridiculous suggestion. I know my parents and at least 50% of them are working outside the home and are doing the work with their kids at 6 and 7pm. Why can't they just to be left alone and pick the work that suits them?? My own kids could not sustain that amount of work!! Im just so frustrated with the situation!!

I hear what you are saying. I presume the looking for a timetable for a box ticking exercise. We are teaching live timetables at secondary level, even though the learning isn't as good as prerecorded lessons, because it keeps a schedule.

Could your "timetable" include massive overestimations? Eg practice handwriting for an hour, take a break when done, that type of stuff?

It's easier to bury ppl in work and then row back, rather than start slow and try to build up.

Just my opinion anyway!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Our teacher sent a sample timetable this week for SI.Full school day each day.Built in movement breaks/lunch etc (she would do this normally in school).Tbh looking at it, there is no way my child would stretch the work given to fill the whole day.That is nothing against the teacher by the way, she is doing a super job, just my kid whizzes through the work.I don't know if she massively over-estimated the slots, or gave times according to how it would work if you had 25 kids instead of 1, or if she really thought it would take that long to get each bit of work done.Anyway, I took it for what it was, and put it to one side - I am working myself, my child is covering the work given, so it is a nice suggestion but not possible to follow here.

Maybe best to take that kind of approach?She just slotted each bit of work she had sent for the week into a slot in the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

At this stage it's survival.
    2 of us online full time.
    Kids get about an hour homework we assume they're doing , senior primary log in twice a day for 15 minutes. Juniors dont. I'm fine with that. I couldn't imagine them staring at a screen of classes for a whole day every day. I'd pity any primary teacher who has to do that (not to mention correcting).

If I do get a chance I'd throw an eye on their homework, once maths,english, Irish are touched on then I'm happy.

Secondary teaching , you mostly have new faces and different challenges as the day goes on. I'd go insane if I had to hold primary school kids' attention for 3 hours online (nevermind 3 weeks).

Try and suss out what other staff members are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am a parent.

We receive a timetable/schedule of work to be done.

It is a table with five columns = days.

The rows do not have time slots.

There are 6 or so rows, so there are six activities/tasks/subjects per day.

But no times like 9am / 11am are ever mentioned.

Each cell of the table has instructions, e.g. which page and section of the book to do.

Advertisement