Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport photo for a baby

• 26-12-2020 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys, do you know where i can take in Dublin a professional photo for my 1 month old baby? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Do it yourself.

Lie baby on a white sheet. Lots of lights around yourselves to avoid shadows and take a million photos.

If you really want a "professional" look for a pharmacy that takes passport pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

High recommend the diy route outlined above. A pharmacy setup or similar would be very overwhelming for such a smallie. We did the diy route at about 8 weeks and much less stressful for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

We used this place, they have instructions online how to take a good newborn photo then they print it out in the correct size

http://www.connsphotolab.com/baby/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Our local McCabes did it, left the baby (6 months) in the buggy, draped a white sheet directly behind him, to cover over the buggy, took photos while he was sitting there happy out.Very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 acm630

We had to do one at a similar age. Definitely DIY, he cried most of the time and it would've been hard in a shop. One trick is to drape a white sheet over the carseat. Make sure that his/her mouth is closed (mostly), eyes open (mostly), and try to get both ears showing (impossible in our case but a good way to make sure their head isn't tilted). We took hundreds of photos before one turned out. It's okay if they're not looking dead at the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We did DIY on my eldest, a very calm placid baby who was perfectly happy to lie still while we took pics of him on a white sheet. Baby #2 was a different story and after taking hundreds of pics at home we headed down to the Fuji shop in Dundrum - she wouldn’t settle lying down, so they had me hold her upright and photoshopped my hand out. One take for the upright one did the job. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,943 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lol, I remember getting a passport for one of ours. Height - 30" (or thereabouts, can't remember!) Shape of face - round, Hair - none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Just to be warned, we did the DIY method and the photo was accepted by their online system and a month later I received an email telling us it was unsuitable. They didn't actually specify why, so we've re submitted but without knowing what the problem was with the first one, how can we know the second won't have the same issue. We used a white sheet background and her face was neutral and there wasn't anything else in the photo. And, in fact they specify that they are not as strict about baby photos well, because they are babies! :D

Also, current turnaround times are mental. You have to send in your own passport by post (because they don't accept scan copies of documents they issue themselves) and this will get lost in a sea of post. I called and asked where mine was and they said "sorry there's a mountain of envelopes here because of covid, it could be anywhere". Told them I needed a date for having my back for banking and mortgage application etc and just got "computer says no" response. And, processing is ceased currently as they are closed due to covid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vinc

Did you just send the new photo or they asked you to submit a new form/application?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ax530

do it yourself
    I had one taken in a pharmacy (actually went to two as knew first ones woudl not work but best they could do as he started crying ) few weeks later passport office sent it back couldnt distinguish between his bald head and the white background.
    think form was ok but had to redo photos and get them garda signed again ect ....
    If you can now do children online recommend that as when you upload photo it tells you if it ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

vinc wrote: »
    Did you just send the new photo or they asked you to submit a new form/application?
    Thanks

They sent us a new reference code so we'd to open up our existing application and re-submit the photo using that code.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Definitely do it yourself, make sure to follow guidelines and don't have even a crease visible on the sheet! Also another thing, just use normal camera and not portrait mode, my first ones were rejected for that reason.

Advertisement