Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course choice / Collage choice

• 25-10-2020 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi everyone! I hope I will reach someone’s help or suggestions here.

I am 33, female, currently in Level 6 VTOS education and very motivated to go to collage as mature student. I finished Level 5 course with all
    Distinctions and my tutors saying I have huge potential and I really should study.

Then...me is like... choices choices choices

I decided I will go to collage as mature student despite I know nothing about it (just yet). I terribly worry about finances but more even about what course to choose.

I am very intrapersonal , little introverted, very observant/investigating with good judging skills. I have persuasive and influential skills as well. I was extremely attracted to Psychology but then looking how much psychologist actually earn and de facto more than likely you need to do PhD and a lot of courses a long put me off a bit. I also have little bit of creativity. I can do DIY and painting/drawing and it better that average person but it’s not as good as per collage requirement.

I said to myself that I don’t want to work for profit based company either while considering further business studies. I wouldn’t mind working for public sector as civilian. A while ago I was very passionate about getting civi job in the Defence Forces but things didn’t work out at the end. (I have Army Reserve experience)

What would you suggest to me guys? Is Business Management or HR or Business with extra language good choice ?

I am so confused.

I will really appreciate suggestions or even experience shared.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are in an ETB college, they will have a Careers Guidance person. They are really the best one to contact about this.

If not in an ETB, maybe contact your old school? We often had ex-students calling for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

If your interest is in psychology you could do a psychology degree but lean towards organisational rather than clinical psychology.
    What are you currently studying? Could you do a level 8 in that?
    Talk to the guidance Counsellor in your ETB, and if you could get some psychometric testing I'd highly recommend that, it might help you narrow down your options.
    What I found useful to me was thinking about the work I wanted to do then looking at courses.
    Good luck with whatever you decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kitessa87

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    If your interest is in psychology you could do a psychology degree but lean towards organisational rather than clinical psychology.
    What are you currently studying? Could you do a level 8 in that?
    Talk to the guidance Counsellor in your ETB, and if you could get some psychometric testing I'd highly recommend that, it might help you narrow down your options.
    What I found useful to me was thinking about the work I wanted to do then looking at courses.
    Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Thank for the suggestions. I really like the idea of organisation psychology. I saw there is a Business Course focused on psychology in business which is more in that direction.

Advertisement