Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow/Lough Dan

• 26-07-2020 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm very new to wild camping in Ireland so don't mind noob questions. :)
    We're (2 people) looking to camp in Wicklow mountains for 2 nights, mid August. For now my spot of choice is Lough Dan. Here's what I'm looking to find out:
    What's the best/safest place to park, how busy is it during the week, is it hard to access (because of the private properties) and also would you recommend it and if not could you recommend some other nice and secluded spot?
    Thanks. 😊

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lough Dan is currently closed to all wild camping. Large groups and over-use have left the place in tatters. It had become the Benidorm of Irish "wild camping".

Recommendations are few and far between now because of all the issues with abandoned tents, firepits, rubbish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Lough Dan is currently closed to all wild camping. Large groups and over-use have left the place in tatters. It had become the Benidorm of Irish "wild camping".

Recommendations are few and far between now because of all the issues with abandoned tents, firepits, rubbish etc.

Oh. Haven't seen any info on that on the National park webpage. 🀔
    Very sad how people treat the nature.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

https://wicklownews.net/2020/07/access-to-lough-dan-closed-due-to-anti-social-behavior/

confirmation that it's closed until mid August, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Vladi_

Tabnabs wrote: »
    https://wicklownews.net/2020/07/access-to-lough-dan-closed-due-to-anti-social-behavior/

confirmation that it's closed until mid August, at least.

Thanks, I didn't mean that I don't believe you, just that I've missed that in my research. :)
    I'm going around the 20th of August so maybe there's some hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭El_robbo1980

Hi guys

Does anyone know the actual boundary of the Luggala Estate/WMNP around Lough Dan? The map on the WMNP shows the lake as not being part of the park but I’ve heard it mentioned before that the small section of beach in the NW corner of the lake (where I wild camped a few years back) is part of the park and not private property? I know parts of the lake were left in tatters over the summer which is disgraceful and so I’m keen on future rambles not to stray into private/prohibited areas of the lake

Many thanks

• Advertisement

East West maps are very good for illustrating clearly what's private and what's public when it comes to forestry and other significant boundaries, be worth buying their map to be clear either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Glenmalure is a good alternative to Lough Dan.

there isnt a lot of space there though in the summer, I remember taking my son there in Aug years ago and the forested area of the left of the road was like a UN refugee camp, then near the youth hostel is very exposed and the river banks very marshy

the next valley down, Aughavanagh you would have to yourself , not much there but the forest area is nicely laid out fro camping and very few people use it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement