Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Max - a film about Hitler's first steps in politics

• 06-08-2003 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, yet another thread on Hitler...

I saw the film Max recently and I was wondering what anybody here who has seen it thought of it, from the point of view of portraying history.

For those who don't know about it, it depicts the young Hitler during his time as an impoverished artist after WW1 and his first forays into politics.

Well, I'm not a history buff so I wouldn't have spotted all the minor details the makers may have got wrong(well, I'm presuming- that seems to be inevitable when making films based on reality).

However, it was interesting how they depicted Hitler as a guy who, if it had not been for extraordinary events happening in his country at the time (post-war devastation, heavy-handedness of the Versailles Treaty, bizarre philosophies about purity of blood and the Aryans, scapegoating of the Jews etc), would probably have just ended up being a marginal figure in society. Well, I suppose this is obvious in a way but I thought that this was the first film/programme I've seen that showed Hitler as a human being, albeit a very flawed one as opposed to some wild-eyed, screaming, inhuman personification of pure evil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 deadcat

yeah, saw it and enjoyed it.

As a film about Hitler, it appears to be totally inaccurate, AFAIK his last flirtation with art was pre-WW1 in Vienna, and from what i hear his work was appaling, and no amount of war camradery from the max character would have brough about any interest in a sale.

As a film about the period and the 'stab-in-the-back' mentality perhaps it works, but the film does perhaps add to the 'hitler had nothing against jews' myth, that the anti-jewish sentiment was a political construct.

Advertisement