Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie O Sullivan

• 10-08-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭

He's motoring well again at the World Championships.

My wife is probably one of his biggest fans, she called me in there to show me the interview he gave after his win last night and even though she'd already seen it live last night she had to watch it through her fingers.

I stuck a small few bob on him there anyway at 7/4 for the craic.

Here's what I could find online of the interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNZie_KIrSs

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He's a great talent, no doubt, but he's an absolute arsehóle at times too.
    His comments on the younger players was incredibly disrespectful and unprofessional.
    You can argue he has a point (I'd say he does) but there are so many ways he can put them across.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

He's motoring well again at the World Championships.

My wife is probably one of his biggest fans, she called me in there to show me the interview he gave after his win last night and even though she'd already seen it live last night she had to watch it through her fingers.

I stuck a small few bob on him there anyway at 7/4 for the craic.

Here's what I could find online of the interview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNZie_KIrSs

He’s a complete arsehole. Always has been. He’s like a big child. Every time he loses there - he says he retiring. Just retire then ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

While he is correct in what he is saying it does come across as very disrespectful. He is still very talented and I think the game is in big trouble when he retires, so many ordinary players without a semblance of personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nothing wrong with what he said. The standard coming through is awful. Hes been saying for years now that no one has the balls to step up and want to be number 1. Trump finally has. They're pro sports people. They need to grow a pair.

I get that to become a pro at snooker you basically have to play so much you sacrifice your education and its a huge risk so maybe thats just the way its going. More people are staying in school. Jimmy White was basically illiterate when he turned pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

They are discussing Ronnies interview on RTE radio right now. People are talking about snooker outside the dedicated snooker forum.

Is that actually a good thing? Never really sure how to judge those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,876 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Nal wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with what he said. The standard coming through is awful. Hes been saying for years now that no one has the balls to step up and want to be number 1. Trump finally has.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Thanks for the laugh. FFS lol

They are discussing Ronnies interview on RTE radio right now. People are talking about snooker outside the dedicated snooker forum.

Is that actually a good thing? Never really sure how to judge those things.

Yes its a good thing. All publicity for the game. We need more characters. He certainly is one.
    everlast75 wrote: »

Hes the defending world champion and has won 6 ranking titles this season. First player ever to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

everlast75 wrote: »

You may think that was referring to the wrong Trump...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

He is entertaining, along with a few other 40 yr old plus players, of who there are not enough of in the game. I would rather see him, and one of the older players in the final, than two 20 yr old lads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Don't follow snooker but he *is* right, though?

Maybe will give some of them a kick up the hole to do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Those comments should light a fire under the younger players arses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I can't believe people have a problem with the interview, it's objectively hilarious. If you're offended by that you might as well go away and have an acid bath for yourself, what's the point of anything in life only to pass the time and have a laugh doing it. Ronnie is great craic, hopefully some incensed young fella will throw himself into the game hammer and tongs and actually give the older lads a bit of competition after hearing him saying that.

This NSFW video has him being an absolute character in the face of a streaker who interrupts the 1997 final:

I bet a lot of the people on here saying he's out of line are the same people who love Jeremy Clarkson, upper class twat extrordinaire who is inappropriate and dickish because of his irrevocable status as a white, rich Brit. Ronnie doesn't have any of the same notions about himself and just has a great sense of humour but knows when to draw the line before getting in too much trouble as well (all the "****" incidents I can think of where he got away with it, hahaha).

Ronnie brings a great sense of humour and fun in the face of what could be a very stuffy, boring sport. He's unquestionably outstanding in his field so he can be cheeky and have a laugh. If you don't like it, good, you're the kind of person he's trying to rile up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

I can't stand him. He's such a moany prick and always has been

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The young Ronnie looked quite like Rodney (Nicholas Lyndhurst).

🙈🙉🙊

Whatever about the interview, hes on at 2.30 if you want to see a genius at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Quite simply the best player ever to grace the green baize. If he had had the temperament of Stephen Hendry or Steve Davis he would be untouchable even now. Then again if he had that temperament he wouldn't be the entertainer he is, I've lost count of the times I've thought; "Surely he won't play that shot", or "Did he just play that shot?" Always willing to try the unconventional and with supreme confidence in his own ability, with a touch of arrogance thrown in.
    And he's absolutely right about the new breed of players, just not good enough. I watched a pair the other day and I was just amazed they had got to this stage of the championship, to have one player a little below standard is probably not unusual but both? One of them actually missed a blue off its spot into the centre pocket, I mean WTF was he doing there.
    Hopefully Ronnie will be around for a few years yet, the sport will be the poorer for his going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

His daughter isnt his biggest fan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ronnie strikes me as a lad who wants to play snooker and have nothing to do with the media side...

He was saying last week, it's great to be able to stay so close to the arena, as in previous years to avoid fans, he has to stay ages away...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Whatever about Ronnie saying that he would have to lose an arm and a leg to drop out of the top 50 (which seeing as he can play either hand isn't that unbelievable) a bigger issue that came out was the quite public spat between McGill and Clarke, with Clarke, the lowest rank player, accused of standing in eye line during a shot. McGill after confronting him then put on twitter 'if you want to dance, lets dance'. Got quite nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not a fan of him. Seems to have an eternal craving for attention. I don't know how many times he has said he is going to retire. He knows full well he will miss the attention of not playing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

He's great to watch but the people who act like he's the only person who plays the game would nearly put you off him for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

O'sullivan to me is the definition of a broken genius. I wish that he could consistently play at the levels he's capable of, and if he could I believe he'd be a double digit world champion, but half the appeal is in which ronnie will show up, and the fact that every match comes with a chance of an "i was there" story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

He had a point in his interview but I'm not sure he put it across properly. Maybe trying to be tongue in cheek for parts too but that wasn't as clear as it might have been.

Whatever about that, he's one of the few remaining interesting people in snooker and most of the reason I'm watching the World Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Snookers Conor McGregor. An absolute genius and an absolute cock of a person.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Whatever about Ronnie saying that he would have to lose an arm and a leg to drop out of the top 50 (which seeing as he can play either hand isn't that unbelievable) a bigger issue that came out was the quite public spat between McGill and Clarke, with Clarke, the lowest rank player, accused of standing in eye line during a shot. McGill after confronting him then put on twitter 'if you want to dance, lets dance'. Got quite nasty.

It was top 16 and it was Clarke on twitter, not McGill, and it had all blown over by last night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It was top 16 and it was Clarke on twitter, not McGill, and it had all blown over by last night anyway.

Apologies, i got the names wrong. Did the ref not tell the player to sit in his seat in the first place?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

McGill was on Eurosport last night, he said he asked him politely to move and he took it wrongly and it ended up being this big drama, and that they made up off camera last night.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Apologies, i got the names wrong. Did the ref not tell the player to sit in his seat in the first place?

McGill asked Clarke to move, then ref immediately intervened to try and stop it developing into anything. Clarke shouldn't have let it bother him that much imo. Hot headed and lack of experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

In a world where the most important thing is "don't be a d!ck" (Like here in this pacified overly modded snowflake wonderland we call boards :P), then you could say his comments were out of order...

But in the real world, I find his comments refreshing and very honest.

Most people in life don't have the b*lls to speak their mind, or worse don't even like to form any opinion that might make them stand out from the herd. And these people use terms like "don't be a d!ck" in an attempt to make everyone else behave the same way as them... bland, boring, safe, uninspiring, dull opinions on everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

His oul fella was done for murder.

Advertisement