Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spacetrooper

Anyone got a promo code for AVIVA. Altough dearer than my current insurance liberty it seems best for getting my kids started.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Who would be the best to ask if you had never had insurance before and you were just starting out in a 1.0L in your thirties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Thargor wrote: »
    Who would be the best to ask if you had never had insurance before and you were just starting out in a 1.0L in your thirties?

all of them

shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

AXA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Renewed with AXA last month after shopping around. Best quote by far
    On another note with AXA for those of you who have under 25s with full licence.
    My daughter then aged 23 passed her test January before last and after getting huge quotes 3/4000 from multiple companies finally got a quote of less than 1800 from AXA. She renewed with them this year for approximately 950......and she is still under 25 with less than 2 years full licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    all of them

shop around
    Does shopping around mean actually ringing everybody or doing the full quote process on the websites or is there a price comparison site that will do it all for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Get on to a few independent brokers they will often get you the best price. I think my son has a policy with Kenco he is 21 full licence for four years two years named driver experience, and insurance in his own name for two more. His renewal this year was about 1150 he is shopping around at present. He is through Topinsure.ie

Slava Ukrainii

Does shopping around mean actually ringing everybody or doing the full quote process on the websites or is there a price comparison site that will do it all for you?

Unfortunately it means checking prices on insurance company and brokers websites. Not half as bad a 4-5 years ago they get minimum details and quote on assumption now.

Price comparison sites do not work as insurance companies change there as acceptance of risk categories all the time. As well if they have not sold enough policies at a certain stage in the month they will discount to write more business

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Try Bank of Ireland, I was delighted with my AIG quote until I tried them, 300, I'll take that quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone tried putting a fully licensed driver as a named driver on their policy, I believe that can sometimes drop the quote even further, 100 euro less in the case of a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have a spouse added as named driver.
    But I heard if you add an older person like in 50s that will reduce premium further.
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone tried putting a fully licensed driver as a named driver on their policy, I believe that can sometimes drop the quote even further, 100 euro less in the case of a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Anyone got Zurich insurance promo code please?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I got my renewal quote today. €930 and loose change. I didn't even get the "Covid discount" lots of companies mentioned. Something tells me I'll be doing some serious shopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

New Home wrote: »
    I got my renewal quote today. €930 and loose change. I didn't even get the "Covid discount" lots of companies mentioned. Something tells me I'll be doing some serious shopping around.

honestly, give BOI a go, i was really surprised, rang back my insurer who had sent the renewal notice and they told me there was no way I was going to match BOI's quote.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I will indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Hi folks. Both parents touching 80 hrs with a lifetime of non claims. Quote fully comp etc...940 euro today!!

I've just checked the AA, whose quotes are usually daylight robbery. Fully comp, AA membership, driving other cars, no excess - less than €680!

Now, the shopping around continues.

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Hi folks. Both parents touching 80 hrs with a lifetime of non claims. Quote fully comp etc...940 euro today!!

Not sure if it's applicable to elderly people, too, but I know that for young drivers some insurers drop the price if you allow them to install a box in the car that monitors the driving. Might be worth asking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭50HX

Coolaboy wrote: »

Try caoga for your parents

They do over 65's, got my folks for 660 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭chrisd2019

Yes this works, myself and my partner are named drivers on each others cars, both policies cheaper that without a named driver.
    Also both with different insurance providers as cheaper that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭chrisd2019

Google car insurance and write down every company or broker you can find, then visit each website or call or email each. (Keep the list in a safe place as you should use it again next year).
    You will get much different results from each.
    Also a quote from a broker may differ a lot from that from the insurance company itself.
    When you find the best quotes check excess and what is included or excluded as not all policies are the same.

Do not be put of by a company name or target audience.
    I have previously been with itsforwomen as it gave the best quote. I am very much a man.

Finally consider adding a named driver with experience and a full licence.

You can also get a list of insurers when you get an online quote: at one point, you're asked to select your previous insurer from a menu, you can find quite a long list of them in there. Also, sometimes your local credit union or building society might have offers for car insurance. It's also worth asking your trade union at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Just paid the Mrs insurance (its4women), full no claims €319 (protection)with a 162 Auris Hybrid 10,000km a year.

They quoted me over €800 smackers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Just paid the Mrs insurance (its4women), full no claims €319 (protection)with a 162 Auris Hybrid 10,000km a year.

Be careful of them and 25 plus and what ever other brand they sell under I’d paying monthly they’ll charge over 25% extra. They really hide that fact but your 319 premium will cost you over 420 if oId monthly

ted1 wrote: »
    Be careful of them and 25 plus and what ever other brand they sell under I’d paying monthly they’ll charge over 25% extra. They really hide that fact but your 319 premium will cost you over 420 if oId monthly

In real terms all pay monthly are up on 30% in real terms. They take 15% of the money first day and then the rest over next nine payments. I calculated the actual interest rate on a few and it was 28/29% when you take that and the deposit into account.

People should set up budget accounts with credit unions who cannot pay the full amount for insurance, car tax, going prepay on electricity and they should throw extra money into the account if buying electric goods on credit. For a couple that pays 3k in bills that way it costing 750 in credit minimum or 15euro/week

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In real terms all pay monthly are up on 30% in real terms. They take 15% of the money first day and then the rest over next nine payments. I calculated the actual interest rate on a few and it was 28/29% when you take that and the deposit into account.

People should set up budget accounts with credit unions who cannot pay the full amount for insurance, car tax, going prepay on electricity and they should throw extra money into the account if buying electric goods on credit. For a couple that pays 3k in bills that way it costing 750 in credit minimum or 15euro/week

Agree except with prepay electricity, it’s the dearest way to buy electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I was with AA for the past few years. Every year when my renewal came up, they would add ~25% to the cost of the premium from the previous year. I know this is a tactic companies use to hope you just can't be bothered to try and get it reduced and go with the quote, but it just means every year I have to call 3-4 times and haggle. The AA were always a pleasure to deal with, so I would have been willing to stay with them if the quote was reasonable.

I decided to spend a couple of hours shopping around. AIG offered by far the best price and cover so I went with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anyone recommend a commercial vehicle insurer (for a van)?

Currently with AXA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will have to shop around. There is no one insurance company universally cheapest for everyone.

Advertisement