Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone use a heated humidifier with their CPAP machine?

• 13-03-2020 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

So, with the coldness, I'm looking at using a heated humidifier. I have a DeVilbiss SleepCube Auto Plus CPAP machine, and am using a nasal mask. If I catch a cold, I find using the CPAP device can prolong the cold, as it would be forcing cold air into me.

Thus, I'm wondering if using a heated humidifier would assist me having a better sleep, and less inclined to get colds from sudden drops in temperature?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I have the Resmed Airsense 10 with humidifier, and I have a tube with a heating element in it. You can set the air temp and humidity to specific levels based on your preferences, or leave it on auto which sets the temp itself based on the air temp in the room.

I can’t compare it to anything else as it’s the only machine I’ve used, but so far it seems to work for me. The sore throat and dry mouth I had before starting usage are practically gone, and I haven’t experienced any “rain out” in the mask. Only have it one month so far though!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nibtrix wrote: »
    I have the Resmed Airsense 10 with humidifier, and I have a tube with a heating element in it.
    Yup, looking at getting both the humidifier & heated tube for my machine. I like your results. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I have the Resmed Airsense 10 with humidifier, and I have a tube with a heating element in it. You can set the air temp and humidity to specific levels based on your preferences, or leave it on auto which sets the temp itself based on the air temp in the room.

I can’t compare it to anything else as it’s the only machine I’ve used, but so far it seems to work for me. The sore throat and dry mouth I had before starting usage are practically gone, and I haven’t experienced any “rain out” in the mask. Only have it one month so far though!

Have the same machine. Brilliant altogether. Haven't experienced anything with the .nasal mask either. I do find a difference when I dont use the humidifier. Dry throat and nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BTW, how are your rooms? Are they ventilated well? Do the humidifiers cause much mould?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I have an APAP machine I think rather than CPAP, the pressure varies depending how my breathing during sleep is. It has a water reservoir over a heated plate. Can turn up and down heat from 1-7 to cool or heat air. Think mine is just set at 4 and seems fine.

One thing I do notice about the masks is they stink after a night's use... Cause very bad breath... I wash them with soapy water daily but they don't seem that hygienic.

Others experiences?

By the way, can I just change machine at any point? I bought mine couple of years ago after renting it for 100 a month from BOC Gases. No idea what my settings are, they did them and seems locked. I'm thinking there might be more modern or better ones than the one I got in 2016. Maybe not.

• Advertisement

I have an APAP machine I think rather than CPAP, the pressure varies depending how my breathing during sleep is. It has a water reservoir over a heated plate. Can turn up and down heat from 1-7 to cool or heat air. Think mine is just set at 4 and seems fine.

One thing I do notice about the masks is they stink after a night's use... Cause very bad breath... I wash them with soapy water daily but they don't seem that hygienic.

Others experiences?

By the way, can I just change machine at any point? I bought mine couple of years ago after renting it for 100 a month from BOC Gases. No idea what my settings are, they did them and seems locked. I'm thinking there might be more modern or better ones than the one I got in 2016. Maybe not.

I haven’t noticed any issue with smell, I wonder if the hose is dirty/mouldy? Or the water reservoir, is that washable as well?

Which machine do you use? It should be possible to change your machine but you would need to know the settings I’d say. Is someone reviewing the data from your machine?
    I think for quite a few of the machines the admin codes are available online and you can unlock them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

the_syco wrote: »
    BTW, how are your rooms? Are they ventilated well? Do the humidifiers cause much mould?

I use a Resmed Airsense 10 with heated humidifier and such. And I find myself fighting a constant battle with the mould - the bedroom walls and ceiling require a weekly scrub down. I have a small hygrometer in the bedroom - most mornings on awakening the humidity levels are well north of 80% - sometimes in excess of 90% (a normal healthy level is between 40 and 60%).

Just something that has to be endured I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I haven’t noticed any issue with smell, I wonder if the hose is dirty/mouldy? Or the water reservoir, is that washable as well?

Which machine do you use? It should be possible to change your machine but you would need to know the settings I’d say. Is someone reviewing the data from your machine?
    I think for quite a few of the machines the admin codes are available online and you can unlock them yourself.

No def not a mould smell, it's the actual mask on my face.

No def not a mould smell, it's the actual mask on my face.

Interesting! Hoping that doesn’t happen with mine, which mask do you use? Have you always used the same model, and how often is it replaced? I know my rental agreement includes one replacement mask per year but some forums I’ve seen online suggest more frequent replacements are needed. I hope not, because they’re not cheap!

Advertisement