Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Holland & Barrett

• 17-03-2011 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Didn't see it here so here it is. There doing the buy one get one for a cent again, untill the 6th of April.

Well worth at look untill then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

Didn't see it here so here it is. There doing the buy one get one for a cent again, untill the 6th of April.

Well worth at look untill then.

"Selected lines only". Certainly worth a look, but a lot less items included than the last time when I spent €50. This time only €14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

What's wrong with the good old fashioned "Buy one get one free". Good marketing ploy I suppose:) Made me go into the shop today anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭bob123456

Compare their prices with iherb.

www.iherb.com

Shipping is even cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

bob123456 wrote: »
    Compare their prices with iherb.

www.iherb.com

Shipping is even cheaper.

Iherb is great, way cheaper than any B&M store in this country, and cheap delivery like you say. You can get some good value at H&B when they do their 2 for the price of one promotions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Iherb is great, way cheaper than any B&M store in this country, and cheap delivery like you say. You can get some good value at H&B when they do their 2 for the price of one promotions though.

IHerb is great and I've been suing using them for years. Save $5 on with first order with code HUG087 :D.

Beware the $30 limit or you may get hit with a customs charge.

The bogof in H&B last time was brill. One item I won't be buying again is their cod liver oil. Tasted like really strong smoked cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Bought a pile of stuff from H&B in their bogof offer at Chritsmas, bumped my order up to make the total sufficient to have the free shipping apply. Ended up that half the items were not delivered presumably out of stock although was not informed of this when ordering, so ended up paying the shipping costs too. Thought the ordering system was a bit shambolic really :rolleyes:

et101 wrote: »
    so ended up paying the shipping costs too.

Theres no way you should have paid the shipping. I'd get on to them over that.

My order was shipped in 3 separate shipments over about two months as stuff was out of stock. There was no contact other than a note saying this is all the had in stock and weeks later more stuff would arrive. What a waste of money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

bazwaldo wrote: »
    IHerb is great and I've been suing them for years.
    Hate those drawn-out court cases... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do iHerb accept paypal? I don't want to go all the way to their checkout page to find out.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Do iHerb accept paypal? I don't want to go all the way to their checkout page to find out.

No. Only credit cards.

IHerb is great and I've been suing using them for years. Save $5 on with first order with code HUG087 :D.

The bogof in H&B last time was brill. One item I won't be buying again is their cod liver oil. Tasted like really strong smoked cod.

Is it definitely only a $30 limit? I think I got about $40 worth of stuff last time and wasn't charged by customs, might have got lucky there so.

How long does their regular delivery take? I paid for the DHL delivery which only took 2 days, usually costs $12 but $8 for this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Just ordered $40.03 worth of products, will be sent by Airmail. Will update once I receive goods. Fingers crossed I don't get hit with customs! :P

OBO899 is another $5 referral code

If you buy online or by mail order etc.
    From outside the EU

You can buy goods from outside the EU up to a value of €22 without incurring any VAT charges. Goods up to a value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. To avoid these packages being stopped by Customs, the value should be clearly marked on the label. However, VAT and import duty is charged on importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic product and perfumes even if they cost less than €22. The Revenue Commissioners provide a Guide to the reliefs available for the import from non-EC countries.

If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and Customs Duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information.

€22 ~= $30.80

Taken from citizensinformation.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

No VAT on food supplements in Ireland or did that change. If there is no VAT on those here they cant charge VAT if you buy it from outside EU. Please correct me if that is wrong. Went over the limit plenty of times never had to pay VAT and duty if it applies at all doesn't start until over E100 or so. Forgot the exact number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I always keep my orders under $30 with iherb, and as shipping is a flat $4 for orders weighing under 3lbs, it makes sense to make smaller orders as the shipping for heavier orders can be quite high. Another code which you could use for $5 off is REL330;) They are pretty cheap for good incense, which I order from them every couple of months.

lindtee wrote: »
    I always keep my orders under $30 with iherb, and as shipping is a flat $4 for orders weighing under 3lbs, it makes sense to make smaller orders as the shipping for heavier orders can be quite high. Another code which you could use for $5 off is REL330;) They are pretty cheap for good incense, which I order from them every couple of months.

How long do they take to deliver with the standard $4 service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

How long do they take to deliver with the standard $4 service?

Usually between 1 and 2 weeks which is ok if you don't need things in a hurry. I find their customer service excellent as well:)

Edit - Re - Holland and Barrett, ordered from them once and found them very good. Had most of the order within a couple of days, one item was out of stock which I got about 4 days later.

rh5555 wrote: »
    No VAT on food supplements in Ireland or did that change. If there is no VAT on those here they cant charge VAT if you buy it from outside EU. Please correct me if that is wrong. Went over the limit plenty of times never had to pay VAT and duty if it applies at all doesn't start until over E100 or so. Forgot the exact number

From Revenue.ie http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/faqs/selling-or-importing-food-nutritional-supplements.html

Should be zero VAT on food supplements or am I reading that wrong?

PIMPHO wrote: »
    From Revenue.ie http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/faqs/selling-or-importing-food-nutritional-supplements.html

Should be zero VAT on food supplements or am I reading that wrong?

Very interesting read that link. Seems vitamins are fine but not if used for sports performance.
    The following substances are zero rated, whether they are marketed as food supplements or not:

'Food-grade' chemicals, colourings, flavourings and similar additives which are not in an edible form but whose sole use is verifiably as an ingredient for food, regardless of the rate applying to the eventual food products.
    Vitamins and minerals in solid form, such as capsules, tablets, pills or lozenges, intended for oral consumption without further preparation.
    Vitamins and minerals in liquid form intended for oral consumption without further preparation, but not including beverages such as high vitamin drinks.
    Fish oils for oral consumption.
    The following types of substance will not come within the scope of the zero per cent rate, even if labelled and marketed as food supplements:

Beverages of any kind (including water) and concentrates, essences, powders, crystals etc. for the preparation of beverages [unless they come within the scope of Paragraph (xii) (b) (I) to (IV)]
    Substances marketed as being specifically for health or medical reasons (in most cases, however, these will be zero rated as medicine for human oral consumption in accordance with Paragraph (xiii) of the Second Schedule).
    Substances marketed as being specifically to improve sporting or physical performance
    Substances in the form of bars or sweets or any other form similar to confectionery coming within the scope of Paragraph (xii)(d)(I).
    Any substance that, although consisting in whole or in part of ingredients regarded as food supplements, is marketed for use other than by being consumed (e.g. ointments, liniments, rubs etc.).

Also got an emailk from IHERB with the following special on international delivery (which I think has been running for some time). It could be tough to spend 40 and keep weight under 3lbs.
    International Air Mail (where available):
    Free for orders over $40.00
    Our regular low rate is a flat $4.00.
    Please note that this shipping method is only available for orders of 3 pounds or less (1360 grams), & having a value of no more than $80.00.

And save $5 on with first order with referral code HUG087.

• Advertisement

Ya same here.

OBO899 is another $5 referral code

Just ordered some stuff. Another referral $5 code SAH932

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Very interesting read that link. Seems vitamins are fine but not if used for sports performance.

That's very hit and miss also, seems if you get revenue on a bad day they can implement it.
    Even take the companies based here Maximuscle etc only certain products have vat on them.

One point to note, the sups are vat free, the delivery is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Yeah thats why I figured I'd mention it. No reason to try to squeeze everything in to stay under the Euro22 limit if there is no Vat anyways. The next limit that might apply is duty. Not even sure if there is duty on food supplements.

If its not then you could buy food supplements for E100,000 from outside the EU without being charged for VAT or Duty.

Please be advised they the may def. charge you VAT/Duty for things like clothes, electronics etc.

Received 4 out of 6 shipments without any VAT or duty. All shipments are worth around $40. It states on the description "Nutritional supplements for personal use".

The other 2 just arrived there. Nice! :D

OBO899 $5 off first order referral code

Advertisement