Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freightliner trucks in RHD in IRL/UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IIRC our (EU) HGVs have a length restriction which is why almost everything in Europe is cabover while in other countries they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Del2005 wrote: »
    IIRC our (EU) HGVs have a length restriction which is why almost everything in Europe is cabover while in other countries they aren't.

EU length restrictions which is why the odd T cab you see here has tiny bonnet. Scania did a longline years ago that probably has more space then a 1 bed apartment. Montgomerys from the North bought 1 as a show truck

https://www.truckanddriver.co.uk/latest-stories/scania-longline-exc-tly-the-ri/
    I drove the original prototype and slept in it too outside the factory gates. Of course it couldn’t hitch legally to a 13.6m trailer but Scania felt they could persuade Brussels to go for longer artic combinations…unfortunately the bureaucrats were presumably far too interested in lunch than improving the welfare of European truck drivers

Scania-Longline-Article.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Most of the T Cabs here are pulling liquid bulk containers. There is one haulier down here doing normal haulage with it, but I have also seen them pulling 2 semi trailers, so maybe they don't care about the rules (or i's a very fancy shunter). The length regulations are the main issue, that and the impracticality of having 10 foot of truck sticking out of a junction before the driver gets a clear view of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bren11

I agree,there would be problems with visibility at junctions with bonnet sticking out, also access to some yards, and turning in some yards/depots is very tight with standard cab overs, particularly 6x2, and 6x4. Standard ferry length is 16 metres, so would need to book an out of gauge length for your t cab. Some tippers and tankers, and 20 foot containers / skellys are shorter, so can get away with your t cab. Other than that you really need permits for long loads/vehicles, which is a pain.

Advertisement