Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Illness protection- half pay query

Options
  • 28-02-2021 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of sorting income protection for myself. In my job I'm entitled to three months full pay and three months half pay sick leave. I have a silly question to ask. I'm getting mixed responses on it from my broker and others. If I get three months half pay, am I entitled to government sick pay benefit on top of this half pay? Thanks a million... trying to figure out is best for income protection should kick in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

jordanbag wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I'm in the process of sorting income protection for myself. In my job I'm entitled to three months full pay and three months half pay sick leave. I have a silly question to ask. I'm getting mixed responses on it from my broker and others. If I get three months half pay, am I entitled to government sick pay benefit on top of this half pay? Thanks a million... trying to figure out is best for income protection should kick in

You are entitled to claim 203 weekly illness benefit regardless of whether you are paid (fiull or half), however your contract may mandate that this has to be paid to your employer for you to get the sick pay in work, or may state that work sick pay is reduced by the amount you claim in benefit. It depends on the terms of sick pay where you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jordanbag

Thank you. I work for the HSE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Thank you. I work for the HSE!

Looks like you would claim and it would be deducted from your pay if the following applies to you...

https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/benefits-services/leave/sick-leave.html

"Illness benefit
    You may be eligible to receive illness benefit or occupational injury benefit from Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) when you are ill or injured.

Information on qualifying and applying for illness benefit.

You need to tell us the rate you will receive from DEASP so we can ensure that we deduct the correct amount.

See: Circular 005/2018 (PDF)"

Thanks a million for this. Very clear. My partner is in the Dept of Education so I'm presuming it would be the same for him. We will go with income protection to kick in from three months so. Thanks a million. All help appreciated!

Sorry to bother you all again. My broker is informing me that companies do not generally deduct the illness benefit from the sick pay. I am checking the Dept of Education circulars and there is no mention of deduction of illness benefit. Does anyone have any experience of this'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Check if your trade union has an Income Protection Plan, assuming you're a member.
    Mine does and it doesn't cost a fortune.

Thank you. I got sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Sorry to bother you all again. My broker is informing me that companies do not generally deduct the illness benefit from the sick pay. I am checking the Dept of Education circulars and there is no mention of deduction of illness benefit. Does anyone have any experience of this'?

For reference of others reading the thread I’m in an ETB as a teacher and illness benefit is absolutely deducted from pay. I’m fairly certain it is also deducted in DES jobs

For reference of others reading the thread I’m in an ETB as a teacher and illness benefit is absolutely deducted from pay. I’m fairly certain it is also deducted in DES jobs

Thank you. I was in contact with the Dept during the week who said it isn't deducted?

Advertisement