Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Statement of Liability 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I am getting on underpayment figure.
    When I file my tax return and select the tax credits available to me, will these tax credits be deducted from the prelim underpayment figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shopassistant

Hi. I have checked my preliminary SoL for 2019 and 2020. For 2019 it says I underpaid €150 and for 2020 it says I underpaid 1 cent. I commenced employment with a new organisation in 2020 so I am wondering am I right in thinking that I underpaid revenue by €150 in 2019, that the €150 underpayment in 2020 was paid off through increase in USC for example and now only 1 cent underpayment on system? Thanks for anyone who can help out, I am woeful when it comes to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Hi. I have checked my preliminary SoL for 2019 and 2020. For 2019 it says I underpaid €150 and for 2020 it says I underpaid 1 cent. I commenced employment with a new organisation in 2020 so I am wondering am I right in thinking that I underpaid revenue by €150 in 2019, that the €150 underpayment in 2020 was paid off through increase in USC for example and now only 1 cent underpayment on system? Thanks for anyone who can help out, I am woeful when it comes to this.

If it is only a preliminary SOL for 2019 then the underpayment of €150 would not have been collected from you yet.

Once you request an actual statement of liability for 2019 by completing an income tax return, that underpayment will be collected. If you have any medical expenses to claim for 2019 any refund you would be due would be offset against the €150 liability. If you have no extra credits or relief to claim for 2019 and you complete a return, the underpayment will be collected by reducing your tax credits in future years.

If you complete a return just for 2020 the 1c underpayment would not be collected, as Revenue don’t collect small amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Shopassistant

Thanks a mil. I'm only after realising that in 2019 I was very sick for a week and spent around €175 on GP visits and prescriptions so uploaded those receipts and have income tax return done. Again thanks a mil for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Checked my bank there - refund is in - super quick and efficient!!!

• Advertisement

SOL finally landed this morning (got a new document notification email too). €2,620 overpayment, refund on the way, delighted.

My partner received her full statement of liability this morning. Underpayment of 2,600.
    Her gross income is 7 grand below her salary.
    At no point last year was she advised of a salary cut etc. It was mentioned she was on the TWSS without any particular detail. The only advice offered was that their may be an overpayment or underpayment and to be aware of this.
    She kept tabs on this, and worked out that she underpaid tax of approx. 400 euro in the period.
    She was on the TWSS for 5 months.
    Would the above a common theme with other people on the TWSS?

Her employer wasn't sending out pay slips during this period and up until December and only sent them on this week on request( old school payroll operation.. don't ask). Reviewing them this morning, it looks like she was getting a gross top up payment 73% lower than her average monthly salary prior to Covid. Minimal tax deductions have been made on these monthly payslips.
    The TWSS subsidy basically doubled this reduced amount. (approx. 1500 + 1500)

To me, it seems like the employer has miscalculated the top up payment to her for this period. Her take home pay was more or less the same and so no alarm bells were ringing at the time.

Would anyone agree or are we missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

My partner received her full statement of liability this morning. Underpayment of 2,600.
    Her gross income is 7 grand below her salary.
    At no point last year was she advised of a salary cut etc. It was mentioned she was on the TWSS without any particular detail. The only advice offered was that their may be an overpayment or underpayment and to be aware of this.
    She kept tabs on this, and worked out that she underpaid tax of approx. 400 euro in the period.
    She was on the TWSS for 5 months.
    Would the above a common theme with other people on the TWSS?

Her employer wasn't sending out pay slips during this period and up until December and only sent them on this week on request( old school payroll operation.. don't ask). Reviewing them this morning, it looks like she was getting a gross top up payment 73% lower than her average monthly salary prior to Covid. Minimal tax deductions have been made on these monthly payslips.
    The TWSS subsidy basically doubled this reduced amount. (approx. 1500 + 1500)

To me, it seems like the employer has miscalculated the top up payment to her for this period. Her take home pay was more or less the same and so no alarm bells were ringing at the time.

Would anyone agree or are we missing something here?

Have you worked out her income tax/USC/PRSI computation? It should be easy enough to figure out if she's overpaid/underpaid any tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Money in the bank this morning, happy days. A quick turnaround with all the extra work relating to Covid, fair play to them.

Does the rent a room relief amount appear on one's P21? Don't think it does as it's not a taxable income.

• Advertisement

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Have you worked out her income tax/USC/PRSI computation? It should be easy enough to figure out if she's overpaid/underpaid any tax.

I have, should we include the TWSS income figure when doing this computation? It's an underpayment with the TWSS and balances without.

Main issue is that she was getting close to the correct amount(based on her salary) in hand for this period. With this tax underpayment, she was not and ultimately it equates to a pay cut after the fact.
    Is the employer possibly at fault?

I have, should we include the TWSS income figure when doing this computation? It's an underpayment with the TWSS and balances without.

Main issue is that she was getting close to the correct amount(based on her salary) in hand for this period. With this tax underpayment, she was not and ultimately it equates to a pay cut after the fact.
    Is the employer possibly at fault?

I'm confused, are you saying that your wife's employer failed to deduct the requisite tax and she was in essence overpaid? Her normal salary is irrelevant for tax purposes, it's her income that matters.

I'm confused, are you saying that your wife's employer failed to deduct the requisite tax and she was in essence overpaid? Her normal salary is irrelevant for tax purposes, it's her income that matters.

The tax deductions that were made on her gross income(the top up portion) on payslips were close to zero, yes.

Had deductions been made, it would been evident in her monthly take home pay at the time as she would have been receiving less than her salary, despite not being notified of a pay cut.

The tax deductions that were made on her gross income(the top up portion) on payslips were close to zero, yes.

Had deductions been made, it would been evident in her monthly take home pay at the time as she would have been receiving less than her salary, despite not being notified of a pay cut.

She received the same salary, but was unaware that she wasn't paying any tax on the top up portion.

This should definitely have been flagged by her employer because in effect, her salary was cut, unbeknown to her. (the difference between her normal salary and what she would normally pay in tax)

She received the same salary, but was unaware that she wasn't paying any tax on the top up portion.

This should definitely have been flagged by her employer because in effect, her salary was cut, unbeknown to her. (the difference between her normal salary and what she would normally pay in tax)

I think that's it. Thanks for that.
    She has had a look at her emails, pay slips were requested in October and a few excuses were made (i.e. next week etc..). A colleague had the same request knocked down the road in November.
    I'd hate to cry foul or accuse anyone of doing something like this deliberately, but I can't help but feel someone has fcuked up here.

I think that's it. Thanks for that.
    She has had a look at her emails, pay slips were requested in October and a few excuses were made (i.e. next week etc..). A colleague had the same request knocked down the road in November.
    I'd hate to cry foul or accuse anyone of doing something like this deliberately, but I can't help but feel someone has fcuked up here.

Get your wife to download her statement and forward it to her employer, asking why the relevant taxes weren't deducted at source as it normally would. It would be best to play innocent and put the onus on them to explain what happened.

It wouldn't be any harm to add said email to the chain where she asked for her payslips back in October/November.

*This is my last response to your query as it's slightly off-topic, best of luck!*

Get your wife to download her statement and forward it to her employer, asking why the relevant taxes weren't deducted at source as it normally would. It would be best to play innocent and put the onus on them to explain what happened.

It wouldn't be any harm to add said email to the chain where she asked for her payslips back in October/November.

*This is my last response to your query as it's slightly off-topic, best of luck!*

Yes, apologies for derailing it somewhat. Thanks a million LawBoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Still nothing

We are processing your most recent request. Your Statement of Liability will be available shortly. Since November.

The problem with TWSS is that it was liable it for tax but wasnt taxed ie a payment of €350 was just that - you got the whole €350 and probably owed tax on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

joeysoap wrote: »
    Still nothing

We are processing your most recent request. Your Statement of Liability will be available shortly. Since November.

The problem with TWSS is that it was liable it for tax but wasnt taxed ie a payment of €350 was just that - you got the whole €350 and probably owed tax on it.

Try giving them a ring. I had the same error and after the call they processed the SOL the same day. Had the refund 3 days later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Just got my statement of liability. Underpayment of 128 euro. I had been saving for this, so saved too much and now I have more for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

Just got mine, overpayment of 1700, can't complain with that

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Bojill

adam240610 wrote: »
    Just got mine, overpayment of 1700, can't complain with that

The amount you expected to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

Bojill wrote: »
    The amount you expected to get?

Was expecting 1200 from my napkin maths

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Thanks a mil. I'm only after realising that in 2019 I was very sick for a week and spent around €175 on GP visits and prescriptions so uploaded those receipts and have income tax return done. Again thanks a mil for your help.

I have one substantial heath expense in particular for 2020 , which I will claim when I’m completing my tax for 2020. Is a way I can download this ‘claim’ to revenue (I have a few more smaller ones eg physio, doctor, etc. should these be
    download at the same time ? The substantial one entails a refund of €500 alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

joeysoap wrote: »
    I have one substantial heath expense in particular for 2020 , which I will claim when I’m completing my tax for 2020. Is a way I can download this ‘claim’ to revenue (I have a few more smaller ones eg physio, doctor, etc. should these be
    download at the same time ? The substantial one entails a refund of €500 alone.

You don't download anything. You login to your MyAccount and file a 2020 tax return. There is a health expenses section there. Put your qualifying gross health expenses in the box and any amount you received a refund from your insurance on and submit the return. You can if you want upload the receipts to the receipt tracker for Revenue.

Click the link below to watch some videos on how to use the service.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/communications/eoy-information-for-employers-and-employees/important-end-of-year-information-for-employees.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If they need to see receipts they will ask. Make sure to keep them for 6 years and/or upload to the tracker app.

As the poster above said just add them all up and make sure they meet the criteria ( some, well most, dental expenses etc don't qualify for example).

Does anyone know where I can pay what I owe? It's not a huge amount, so might as well pay it off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Does anyone know where I can pay what I owe? It's not a huge amount, so might as well pay it off now.

I'm unsure if this facility is only available on a full mygovid account, I've seen on the main page, under LPT (Local property tax) a section to make payments. If not available, maybe do an enquiry within the portal. I've not check since my SOL was finalised, mine is a small amount also, I've noticed on the final SOL, they've already assigned the under payment to be taken from tax credits starting 2022.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

When you login to MyAccount, on the first page you come to with the multitude of things you can do on it, there's a section called payments/repayments. You'll see a link for make a payment. Click the link and follow the instructions.

• Advertisement

When you login to MyAccount, on the first page you come to with the multitude of things you can do on it, there's a section called payments/repayments. You'll see a link for make a payment. Click the link and follow the instructions.

Thanks, found it and payed what I owed.

Advertisement