Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Why are people so protective of An Post?

There are advantages and disadvantages to the new service.

Unfortunately the disadvantages make it unusable for many people who work standard office hours.

So yeah, I will complain about that because frankly, its crap.

Whoopy doo - a UK mainland address - not much use if I cant use the service because I have a job. So - no advantage to me or thousands of other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Why are people so protective of An Post?

There are advantages and disadvantages to the new service.

Unfortunately the disadvantages make it unusable for many people who work standard office hours.

So yeah, I will complain about that because frankly, its crap.

Whoopy doo - a UK mainland address - not much use if I cant use the service because I have a job. So - no advantage to me or thousands of other people.

work 6 days a week and no family or friends that can collect on your behalf?

as I said, some people only ever ever ever search for negatives

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jno547 wrote: »
    Well said and great to see an option from an Irish company,If people want to stand at a box in a petrol station at midnight then go knock yourselves out,me,I'll happily queue in my local po to collect. Well done An Post.

Every time I use PM I stop on the way home from work for about 30 seconds at a petrol station on route, and about 20 minutes walk from my home. My local PO is 10 minutes but every time I go past it there's queues out the door. I'd rather stand for 30 seconds at midnight than queue behind people who always seem to take 2 minutes for something that should take 5 seconds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Looks like a great service to have launched, I started as a Parcel Motel Customer in 2013 and was averaging around 200 parcels a year, But just recently changed over to DPD Parcel Wizard as Parcel Motel is 30kms away from my house and I was always annoying my sister to pick them up as its on her commute but not mine. Several times I had to drive especially to collect a parcel due to having no one to collect it, any savings got wiped out in fuel costs the few times that happened.

I now use Parcel Wizard as I can get it delivered to my door or reschedule or readdress it to a family member if necessary if I wasn't around.

I once even used Parcel Connect from Fastway, but at €4.50 I felt it was more expensive and thus I chose to stay with Parcel Motel for my deliveries which costs €3.95, although I would always top-up by €38.95 thus getting the €4.50 free credit and getting €43.45 enough for 11 parcel motel stays @ €3.95.

So to sum it up we now have four UK competing re-delivery services from Northern Ireland and Mainland Britain. In order of appearance on the Irish market.

Nightline's Parcel Motel to Northern Ireland, €3.95 to their 24 hour lockers for a stay of 48 hours. The clear market leader at the moment, especially in towns and cities Payable online. Can get congested around Christmas time.

Fastway's Parcel Connect to Northern Ireland, €4.50 for collection at PayZone locations, my closest is a Super Valu 10kms away, poorly implemented, poor website, staff sometimes are unaware. I used it once to avoid a Parcel Motel logjam over Christmas 2014 but for €4.50 costs too much. Least popular service I would think. Payable over the counter.

DPD's Parcel Wizard to Northern Ireland, €3.85, excellent fast delivery service, good website, early morning delivery's to my house, which can be rescheduled or redelivered to a neighbour etc. Increasing in popularity. Payable online.

An Post's AddressPal to Mainland Britain, €3.50 to ROI post office. Supposedly takes 3 days. New Entrant and only Mainland UK address. Competitive pricing and flexible pickup points, a winner for rural small villages. But potentially slower delivery times and a large outsize items charge of €50.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jno547

Del2005 wrote:
    Every time I use PM I stop on the way home from work for about 30 seconds at a petrol station on route, and about 20 minutes walk from my home. My local PO is 10 minutes but every time I go past it there's queues out the door. I'd rather stand for 30 seconds at midnight than queue behind people who always seem to take 2 minutes for something that should take 5 seconds.

Why is everyone on the defensive about this, An Post suits me, yippi, if it doesn't suit you and your happy with PM, YIPPI.
    What I'm saying is that it's great to see an alternative being offered by an Irish company, alternatives won't suit everyone but hey it is what it is.

• Advertisement

VincePP wrote: »
    work 6 days a week and no family or friends that can collect on your behalf?

as I said, some people only ever ever ever search for negatives

I work 5 days a week. My local PO doesnt open on Saturdays.

No I dont have anyone who could collect on my behalf.

Even if I did, Im not going to ask them to go to the post office 2 or 3 times a week to queue up to collect a parcel for me??! People have better things to be doing than acting as my post office lackey which is why I use parcel motel in the first place, so that I can handle my own deliveries privately and not have to get things posted to my father in laws house or work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

don't AnPost have the most extensive delivery system in the country? So if I order from Amazon, and the parcel shows up in an AnPost depot in Dublin they'll deliver it to my door; but if it shows up in their depot in London I have to collect it from the post office? Pretty weak - no one likes visiting the post office, the opening hours are inconvenient, and there's generally a queue out the door. Why can't they offer a delivery option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

This is great to see - another option and more competition but I think a lot of people don't realise how restrictive the packager size is. The 25cm side is tiny when you take packing materials etc. into account. It could really only be used for small technology items, beauty products etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

This is great to see - another option and more competition but I think a lot of people don't realise how restrictive the packager size is. The 25cm side is tiny when you take packing materials etc. into account. It could really only be used for small technology items, beauty products etc.

25 centimeter is really restrictive you are right.

Also note that there are 2 size limitations.

One is if it's over the standard dimensions but not bigger than Length + Girth: 3 metres and Girth being defined as 2 x (Depth + Width). For those you pay 50€ but you will be able to collect it from a Depot.

The other is if it's above that definition and than it's refused by their vendor in the UK and goes back to the sender.

Also remember that you can't send any Liquids when you order beauty products:

Liquids (of any kind including water, alcohol, gels, creams, aftershaves and perfumes)

Overall it's a nice solution for those parcels that fit the dimension giving the competitive price for road transfer of a parcel from the UK mainland to Ireland. I mean getting 20 kg from the UK to Ireland for 3.50€ is really cheap. Even if you have to collect it.

However in the long term unless they combine it with some sort of locker or delivery service it's going to be hard to attract enough customers to make a profit out of this. So most likely other services will have to pay for this.

It's a missed opportunity to get ahead of the competition and that is sad because if I could combine a UK address with the reliability of my local AnPost courier driver I would be a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I work 5 days a week. My local PO doesnt open on Saturdays.

No I dont have anyone who could collect on my behalf.

[...]

Neither do I.

But I had a chat with my postman. He said no problem at all, hand him 3.50 quid and a card, he'll collect my stuff and bring it down to me next day. :cool:

Don't look for problems, look for solutions!

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    Neither do I.

But I had a chat with my postman. He said no problem at all, hand him 3.50 quid and a card, he'll collect my stuff and bring it down to me next day. :cool:

Don't look for problems, look for solutions!

I've only ever seen my postman if I'm off sick from work.

It'd be no use to me to get him to bring stuff to the house, that's why I use parcel motel, so large stuff isn't arriving to an empty house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I have never come across a seller who won't post to NI from mainland UK......

It's the same cost to the seller posting to NI as within mainland UK.

Maybe I'm not buying the right things to come across this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have never come across a seller who won't post to NI from mainland UK.......

Yet plenty have this restriction including stock being sold by Amazon themselves, Infact I just ordered an item from amazon that they would not ship outside mainland UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well said and great to see an option from an Irish company,If people want to stand at a box in a petrol station at midnight then go knock yourselves out,me,I'll happily queue in my local po to collect. Well done An Post.

I don't get this attitude (and it applies in general) - just because something is "Irish" it doesn't make it automatically better and worthy of support. In this instance it's a significantly inferior service vs its main rival (PM)

Not sure I get your point about standing at a box in a petrol station either.. unless you value the "ambience" and "chat" in a PO over the efficiency of being in and out again in about 2 minutes max.

For me PM wins because I can pick it up whenever suits me (eg: there's 3 packages waiting for collection this morning that I'll pick up this afternoon when I go do the shopping), I can redirect deliveries to my local PM or the one around the corner from work, and it's never let me down in years of using it.

I've also never come across a seller (on Amazon or eBay) that wouldn't deliver to a NI address so maybe I'm just lucky :)

The problem with your argument about "buying Irish" is, that Parcelmotel is operated by Nightline, which is an Irish Company. Yes, they were founded here by 2 guys from North Dublin.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I don't get this attitude (and it applies in general) - just because something is "Irish" it doesn't make it automatically better and worthy of support. In this instance it's a significantly inferior service vs its main rival (PM)

Not sure I get your point about standing at a box in a petrol station either.. unless you value the "ambience" and "chat" in a PO over the efficiency of being in and out again in about 2 minutes max.

For me PM wins because I can pick it up whenever suits me (eg: there's 3 packages waiting for collection this morning that I'll pick up this afternoon when I go do the shopping), I can redirect deliveries to my local PM or the one around the corner from work, and it's never let me down in years of using it.

I've also never come across a seller (on Amazon or eBay) that wouldn't deliver to a NI address so maybe I'm just lucky :)

I agree about your sentiment about "buying Irish" just for the sake of Irish and as I mentioned Parcelmotel is Irish.

However there are sellers that won't deliver to NI address or at additional cost. In fact Amazon has loads of standard items that it won't deliver to NI because of carrier restrictions.

There are also sellers that charge more for NI address as they use private carriers who might charge more to NI than Royalmail which has the same charge UK wide.

However most of those items which can't be shipped to NI because of carrier restrictions should officially also not be able to use AddressPal because of the same restrictions. But I don't think they will open parcels to check, so your After Shave might be safe (yes, you can not ship aftershave via AddressPal).

It will come done to hand on experiences and for sure there will be loads of "I got charged 50€" messages soon, but if you are sure it's under the dimensions and 20KG it's as I said earlier, a very cheap way to get 20 kg over from the mainland even if it's slow and you need to pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

For me parcel wizard have stated here that they do not stick ridgidly to the dimensions and if a parcel is over by a small amount they will accept it. This means a lot when you do not know or can't guarantee the parcel dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is this being advertised on TV? Caught the tail end of an ad last night, on Sky news IIRC, which sounded similar but it mentioned being able to pick up in a local shop , which isn't available according to the FAQ. If pick up in a shop becomes available it'll be a brilliant service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If a parcel is 26cm×26cm×26cm and weighs 1.4kg do i get charged €50 because one of the dimensions is over the limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

blade1 wrote: »
    If a parcel is 26cm×26cm×26cm and weighs 1.4kg do i get charged €50 because one of the dimensions is over the limit?

Yes! It really is a very small maximum limit.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »

Yes and you need to collect it at your local Delivery Service Unit (not the post office).

A bit of a dealbreaker so.
    How are we supposed to know what size box a seller is going to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,795 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have written to AnPost to seek clarification on this. Has anyone else contacted them ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My order just delivered to Address Pal, lets see how long this takes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

My brother's a postman and showed me a letter he got today about it. Apparently for the month of February An Post staff can use the service at the cost of €1. Now just how they distinguish between an An Post employee and everyone else isn't mentioned. I don't seem to recall a relevant section on the site's registration page either.

Maybe they know going on the name only .....

VanZan wrote: »
    My brother's a postman and showed me a letter he got today about it. Apparently for the month of February An Post staff can use the service at the cost of €1. Now just how they distinguish between an An Post employee and everyone else isn't mentioned. I don't seem to recall a relevant section on the site's registration page either.

Maybe they know going on the name only .....

Id say when you go to collect your package and pay at the P.O. then you get the discount.

8th February - 12.47pm - Order delivered to Address Pal
    10th February - 11.20am - Received Text and Website updated to advise order available for collection

Not bad, though I would like if An Post confirmed on their website (ala Parcel Motel) that they actually had the parcel when it was delivered (I could only tell this due to Amazon's tracking).

Text I received asks me to bring my AddressPal card which I still have not received, so lets see how the Post Office handle this :)
    Website also states costs as blank even though it should state the collection price.

Cabaal wrote: »
    8th February - 12.47pm - Order delivered to Address Pal
    10th February - 11.20am - Received Text and Website updated to advise order available for collection

Not bad, though I would like if An Post confirmed on their website (ala Parcel Motel) that they actually had the parcel when it was delivered (I could only tell this due to Amazon's tracking).

Text I received asks me to bring my AddressPal card which I still have now received, so lets see how the Post Office handle this :)
    Website also states costs as blank even though it should state the collection price.

Thanks for the update.

The FAQ says you can bring the confirmation mail you received when you signed up as proof instead of the card.

Thanks for the update.

The FAQ says you can bring the confirmation mail you received when you signed up as proof instead of the card.

Yeah had spotted that alright,
    The e-mail they send is a more helpful then the text,

It doesn't mention what to do if you don't have the card but it does include a auth form you can use to allow another person to collect the parcel.

It also confirms parcel is available for next 5 working days, address of post office and its opening hours. So all in all the e-mail is pretty informative.

• Advertisement

Parcel collected, no problems doing so and only had to pay 1euro,
    Apparently the reduced rate is a intro offer for February,

I'll certainly be using again as it suits me for most of the stuff I was using Parcelmotel for (without the 10mile drive) and it works for me every evening and its open on Saturday so I can always get my wife to collect if I'm working. They should however acknowledge they have received the parcel and also offer some amount of min insurance even if this requires an extra charge.

Advertisement