Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ei9go

The original post information was correct at the time.

The most up to date information is that it was supposed to launch yesterday 25/01 but has been pushed back a further two weeks.

We'll just have to wait and see if it launches.

Linky?

No link sorry, was on some internal An Post mail that I seen today. I'll throw up a picture in the next day or so if I can get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

At least we know how it'll look like ;)

GB50000000003088662.png

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmcase/Results/1/UK00003088662

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

and it's going to be on

www.addresspal.ie

The 8th of February is currently set as the launch date.

http://imgur.com/52lFEia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

I wonder would they set up a US based address?

Don't mind paying customs charges etc, but would be very handy for vendors who won't ship outside the US.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its live!

https://addresspal.anpost.ie

Registered but the confirm email sent out doesn't work....so can't login now, just keeps coming back with OOPS, not found.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Finally managed to confirm the account,

An Post delivery address is in certainly in mainland UK

Air Business
    Unit 5, The Merlin Centre
    Acrewood Way
    St Albans
    Herts AL4 0JY

Interface is pretty clear and registration was easy (except for link not working)

Details on what they except:
    Max Dimensions 72cm X 31cm X 25cm.
    Maximum weight, 20kg.
    An Post will contact you if your item exceeds the service dimensions.
    Oversized items will be charged at €50 per item and can be collected at your local Delivery Service Unit. You will be contacted by An Post, by phone in advance to notify you that your item is available for collection at the Delivery Service Unit.
    Oversized items maximum dimensions:
    Length: 1.5 metres.
    Length + Girth: 3 metres.
    To calculate Girth: 2 x (Depth + Width).
    Items that exceed these dimensions will be refused at our UK Hub.

You pay in the Post Office when collecting so no need to top-up your account online, thats sort of handy to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oversized items will be charged at €50 per item and can be collected at your local Delivery Service Unit.

Ouch!!

So there is no 24 hour collection option?

And you would have to queue in a potentially busy post office. Its not really feasible for me as the whole point I use PM is because I am gone from my house from 7am to 6pm daily.

Ouch!!

So there is no 24 hour collection option?

Yeah 50e is awful steep I got to agree, so some up and down sides to the service.

No, def not any 24hr opening unless the GPO in Dublin or something is open longer then normal PO hours

My local PO is open:
    Post Office Opening Hours:
    Mon 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Tue 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Wed 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Thu 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Fri 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Sat 9:00 - 1:00

It certainly won't suit everyone, but I'm finished early each day and PO is just down the road so its more useful then PM which is 10miles away from me. Also mainland UK is a plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Charlie L

Did this happen? I can't find any information about it......

My local PO is open:
    Post Office Opening Hours:
    Mon 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Tue 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Wed 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Thu 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Fri 9:00 - 1:00 2:00 - 5:30, Sat 9:00 - 1:00

Ouch again - I forgot a lot of POs close over lunch, so even less useful for someone like me!

Unless they offer a broader service in terms of times you can collect I cant see it being much of a competitor for PM.

Agree re the mainland UK address alright, but still no good to me if I cant pick the stuff up in Ireland!

Charlie L wrote: »
    Did this happen? I can't find any information about it......

https://addresspal.anpost.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Ouch again - I forgot a lot of POs close over lunch, so even less useful for someone like me!

Unless they offer a broader service in terms of times you can collect I cant see it being much of a competitor for PM.

Agree re the mainland UK address alright, but still no good to me if I cant pick the stuff up in Ireland!

I think you can change post office in the site.

OU812 wrote: »
    I think you can change post office in the site.

Very few of them open over lunch and Im not aware of any that do late evenings so basically its going to be a service that doesnt suit most people who work 9-5.30 - unless they have a post office right next door that opens over lunch (actually my last office did).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Yeah but the mainland UK address is the biggest draw (for me anyway). It's the only one of these services with it so if you really really want something and they only deliver to the mainland then you'll get past the flaws.

VanZan wrote: »
    Yeah but the mainland UK address is the biggest draw (for me anyway). It's the only one of these services with it so if you really really want something and they only deliver to the mainland then you'll get past the flaws.

One good thing is they hold the item for 5 days so perhaps people might be able to pick up on a Saturday from their local PO if they work 9-5.30 Mon-Fri.

How long does delivery take

Your AddressPal item will usually be delivered to your selected Post Office within 3 working days of receipt to our UK Address. Your AddressPal item can then be collected within the next 5 working days.

3 days, yes it's only 3.50€ to get it from the mainland over to us, but 3 days delivery is very long.
    Is the item insured

No, your item is not insured. All AddressPal items are handled securely.

Seriously, not even a basic insurance like the 100€ (250€ if registered in he tracker) of Parcelmotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FluffyMcCardy

Can't understand the whining. If it works for you, use it. If not then don't.

One great advantage is that there are post offices everywhere. Not so with PM. I need to drive to the nearest PM. I can walk to the nearest post office. Plus if you live in a rural area, there's bound to be a post office closer than a PM. In fact for most people a post office will be closer.

I'll definitely use it and I'll use PM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's great that it is mainland UK address, much better than NI which sometimes causes headaches.

• Advertisement

What whining?

We are as entitled to discuss the cons as you are to discuss the pros. Sorry if it bothers you that some people are pointing out why it wont work for them.

One great advantage is that there are post offices everywhere. Not so with PM. I need to drive to the nearest PM. I can walk to the nearest post office. Plus if you live in a rural area, there's bound to be a post office closer than a PM. In fact for most people a post office will be closer.

I'll definitely use it and I'll use PM.

Each of the 4 main providers services have their advantages and dis-advantages and might not suit everybody, so it's down to an individual to find out as much as possible before choosing the right service.

None of the services are perfect (I really had hoped AnPost would have done more research and bring out a perfect service).

I stick with DPD which makes the best sense for me but I will try the new AnPost service for items which only ship to the mainland and where I can wait 3 days for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I use Parcel Motel about 100/150 times a year. Only once I had to collect from Finglas ( Treadmill )

As most of said the key thing with PM is there 24/7 collections.

If An Post built the same system I would use them.
    They are cheaper (excluding the €50 oversize charge of course - this is more to turn people off using the service for large items.. they don't want this business )
    You can get twice the weight ( 10kg vs 20kg )

I wouldn't be able to use Address Pal as it stands as I work about 20 miles from my house and the nearest PO would be closed when I would be able to get to it.. i.e after work / weekends ... and there's no post office within walking distance to my job...

Maybe they will start opening a few 24/7 collection points.

Also AddressPal don't insure your items at all!

NeVeR wrote: »
    Maybe they will start opening a few 24/7 collection points.

Also AddressPal don't insure your items at all!

Their sorting offices tend to have earlier opening hours. I wonder if you can get things delivered to the sorting office?

Their sorting offices tend to have earlier opening hours. I wonder if you can get things delivered to the sorting office?

Doesn't look like they can, tried to select depot in Waterford city and its not listed on the drop down. Only normal PO's

Doesn't look like they can, tried to select depot in Waterford city and its not listed on the drop down. Only normal PO's

Shame, I actually pass one on the way to work.

Even if you could .. sorting offices are limited in numbers as well.

I've emailed them asking my questions.. I'll see what they reply with.

As a business model i don't see how it can work for the majority of the public who work a normal 9/5 .. they are closed in the mornings / at lunch / after 5 and at weekends ..

NeVeR wrote: »
    As a business model i don't see how it can work for the majority of the public who work a normal 9/5 .. they are closed in the mornings / at lunch / after 5 and at weekends ..

An awful lot of PO's are open until 12 or 1pm on Saturdays,

An awful lot of PO's are open until 12 or 1pm on Saturdays,

cool. i didn't know that. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Dorian Stocky Scalpel

Could be handy where suppliers are free to uk mainland but charge for NI.

Advertisement