Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beautiful song to remind us why we are Christian

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Feeling 'festive'...the red, gold, and brown hue of Autumn is still present ready to crunch beneath our boots for those who love walking. Still the bite is there and Winter is the Season, with all it's good and bad winds..

A firm favorite song during this time of year is of course a festive one... and more importantly a Christian one of truth for those who need it most, love and the life for those who seek it, and will bear the consequences of love, and the way for those who are wandering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I've started listening to quite a bit of bluegrass music lately and one of my favourites is Ralph Stanley (possibly best known for "O Death" on the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou" soundtrack. He's also recorded quite a few gospel songs over the years, some accompanied and some a capella in the style of the Baptist denomination he is a member of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Happy Advent Sunday! :)
    I wanted to go to church this morning, but couldn't because I'm working this weekend. Instead I was fortunate enough to get to attend a short service outdoors. It was cold and dark out in the woods, but some candles and a couple of fires were lit for heat and decoration. It was really very nice :)

.... and we sang this hymn :)

Let your 'little light shine' :) this Season. Pay no heed to the naysayer, and celebrate with a smile - be joyful and lets celebrate the peace of Christ, and remember with thanksgiving the proper Spirit of Christmas. Let's make 'room in the inn' for Him with renewed spirits - and a song in our hearts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

From a heathen and a pagan
    On the side of the rebel Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Not entirely sure why but I find myself reading through this forum alot lately & this thread is just full of beautiful music and song.

These songs were always sung in my local Church, and the lyrics are lovely :)

Welcome in, KerrySam :)

For some reason I can't help but smile with excitement when Luciano Pavarotti sing :)
    ... and this song is one of the most majestic Christmas ones I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

O come all ye faithful

Silent night, two versions

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Not entirely sure why but I find myself reading through this forum alot lately & this thread is just full of beautiful music and song.

These songs were always sung in my local Church, and the lyrics are lovely :)

The hymn 'Be Not Afraid' always makes me shiver when I hear it because it's like a remembering of sorts - perhaps because it's so familiar, but also because; I've heard it at funerals and weddings, and it's always so appropriate and so simple and lovely.

When a choir sings it, it is just beautiful! I think as a child you learn the words, hear them and they touch you - but never so much as they do when you are an adult and those three simple words are so full of meaning and comfort and courage too!

Welcome to the forum :)

• Advertisement

An 'Ave Maria' in the proper Spirit with no apologies - very proud to post this hymn for my Mother...for our Mother.

'And why is this granted that the mother of my Lord should come to me'

St. Luke says it best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭brian_t

Another version of Silent Night by Roisin O'Reilly & The Maynooth Gospel Choir

Traditional Catholic Latin Mass of the Angels

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

This captures beautifully both the immense dignity and utter wretchedness of the human condition.

I used to go around singing this at home. Constantly.
    Once I made room for it in my head there was no stopping it :pac:

Maybe not the prettiest of videos, unless you want to sing along to it :)
    (oh, also, I do recommend the entire 'Gloria' composition by Vivaldi, there are many wonderful pieces)

Christ be our Light!

I love the words of this hymn..although the young girl who sings in the Parish that I visit lately has that 'gift' of an ethereal voice. It's not operatic, it's not soft and gentle, its truly lovely to listen to...crystal clear. I wonder at it.. and at how lovely it can be to listen to 'in person'...

This seems to be a song familiar to the parish in Crumlin..love it, both the Parish and Mass held here, it just keeps drawing me back to worship here among other people....... well people who love 'worship' too.

Love the words of this hymn, and the heroic efforts of the parishioners to sing along, and how they 'hush' too, great people.....fabulous! I've been so many places, love this parish. :)

Another Hymn I love is 'Morning has broken' :)...It's probably a throw back to the late seventies and early eighties, but it's one I remember very well as an infant ( amazing the things a child remembers and understands ) - it was sung by a Priest who actually ended up leaving the Priesthood and getting married years later, but he did it 'legit' - he was pretty cool as a Priest however, and a very good one while he served as one, and my goodness he 'loved' it, you just knew a good heart - I still remember him as the singing Priest of my childhood.

He wanted the congregation to 'sing' and 'Morning has broken' was the entrance song and 'Go tell Everyone' was the song at the end of Mass. I'm quite sure he is 'telling everyone' today! I always wish him the very best and give thanks for his years that he gave for me and for others too. Providence works it's mystery always.

So here is the throw back seventies??!! tune - but it's a pretty cool entrance Hymn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gospelfan2012

some lovely songs here. does anyone have suggestions for offertory hymns for a gospel choir to use, have no problem finding faster stuff, but it's hard to get ones which suit some parts of the mass

some lovely songs here. does anyone have suggestions for offertory hymns for a gospel choir to use, have no problem finding faster stuff, but it's hard to get ones which suit some parts of the mass

Christ be our light. Don't think I ever heard it as an offertory hymn but maybe it could work.

• Advertisement

You could sing this old favourite and up the tempo :-)

lmaopml wrote: »
    Christ be our Light!

I love the words of this hymn..although the young girl who sings in the Parish that I visit lately has that 'gift' of an ethereal voice. It's not operatic, it's not soft and gentle, its truly lovely to listen to...crystal clear. I wonder at it.. and at how lovely it can be to listen to 'in person'...

This seems to be a song familiar to the parish in Crumlin..love it, both the Parish and Mass held here, it just keeps drawing me back to worship here among other people....... well people who love 'worship' too.

Love the words of this hymn, and the heroic efforts of the parishioners to sing along, and how they 'hush' too, great people.....fabulous! I've been so many places, love this parish. :)

lmaopml I just noticed you also posted 'Christ be our Light' a few posts earlier, I knew I had heard it recently.. silly me. Lovely song though.

Here is an old favorite as Gaelgae

For the weather we have been having in Ireland and the UK.

That's okay Indyman...it's a song that is worth posting twice :D we do stereo here!

I just came across a song online - I don't watch the 'X' Factor as a regular, but the odd time the talk online leads you just take a peek at 'somebody somewhere' that stands out, becomes a 'talking' point, and the very odd time you find yourself impressed by just 'people'.

This lady is not only beautiful, but really lovely and full of joy, and she has pretty cool taste in music too - she is an unashamed Christian, and sings of another unashamed lady who stored her treasure in an 'Alabaster box' until it was time to open it for the real treasure. Never heard this song/hymn before, but it's truly lovely. Perhaps the person looking for a good 'Gospel' song a few posts earlier might like it too. The original is defo worth a listen too. Cool hymn!

Friar Alessandro, The Voice of Assisi, is coming to Ireland ...

The dates and venues:

- Franciscan Friary, Merchants Quay, Dublin, on Monday 17 March at 7.30pm.
    - Galway Cathedral on Friday 21 March at 7.30pm
    - Franciscan Friary, Cork, on Saturday 22 March at 7.30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sellon

Prefer this version.

If I am ever fortunate enough to get married I am definitely having this song at the ceremoni :)

To lift the spirit..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In a rather unusual location, but an ancient Icelandic hymn:

Advertisement