Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beginning to Invest - All questions go here please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

Hi guys I was thinking of just dipping my toe into the pool with a sum of €400, I was thinking of buying shares in 1 ETF, 1 oil company, 1 apparel company and 1 Media related comapny in an emerging market, I would probably just buy €100 each. I know this is very small time but to start off it may give me an idea of the whole process, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

jellybeans wrote: »
    Hi guys I was thinking of just dipping my toe into the pool with a sum of €400, I was thinking of buying shares in 1 ETF, 1 oil company, 1 apparel company and 1 Media related comapny in an emerging market, I would probably just buy €100 each. I know this is very small time but to start off it may give me an idea of the whole process, any thoughts?

Same here, i dont have the money now but 2 days ago i planned on starting 400e.

I want to have a portolio of shares one is definitely oil and gas. I have a range of oil and gas shares that i am looking at, those with large capitals and with share price that are pretty cheap but with the prospects of doing well e.g SLE.L VED.l.

I have decided to use firstrade as it has all I need although the cost of buying and selling the shares and transfering the money from ireland to the states will be about 12.5% of what I'm investing.

But i am hoping for good returns in a year or so.

Same here, i dont have the money now but 2 days ago i planned on starting 400e.

I want to have a portolio of shares one is definitely oil and gas. I have a range of oil and gas shares that i am looking at, those with large capitals and with share price that are pretty cheap but with the prospects of doing well e.g SLE.L VED.l.

I have decided to use firstrade as it has all I need although the cost of buying and selling the shares and transfering the money from ireland to the states will be about 12.5% of what I'm investing.

But i am hoping for good returns in a year or so.

Hi Freeze, the price of that Vedanta shares are €2,411.00 :eek: r u buying these?? 12.5%, will that not eat into your profit?? plus the tax like?? what about zecco, it seems it's €4.50 per buy/sell! (I think) Im still bamboozled by which shares to buy but I am looking at LNG and LULU, still mulling it all over though

VED.L. Share price is in pence. i have not looked into zecco. But I just found out that it has an iPhone app which is a major to me. Is zecco based in Europe or the states.

I'm not what tax I would pay as firstrade in a us based brokerage firm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm also in the same situation. I've got about 4-500 Euro I want to "play" around with and use to get myself into trading. Strikes me some of the online crowds want a minimum deposit which is annoying (Davys are one thousand) and I am not really sure I want to risk that much money.

Sharewatch don't seem to have such a policy. Are they decent for first time investors? I've noticed that people seem to keep asking are they good and there's the odd brief reply but not detailed accounts of what they are like :S

• Advertisement

My friends hav used sharewatch and heir service isn't the best.
    Although if you use us based brokers you should keep this in mind that you would have to pay $35 or for bank wire transfers.

Sharewatch charges €15 every time you buy and sell compared to zecco and firstrade that charge €5 for each transaction.

Does anyone use zecco or firstrade.

Zecco also deals with forex so it's an additional benefit for me.

My friends hav used sharewatch and heir service isn't the best.
    Although if you use us based brokers you should keep this in mind that you would have to pay $35 or for bank wire transfers.

Sharewatch charges €15 every time you buy and sell compared to zecco and firstrade that charge €5 for each transaction.

Does anyone use zecco or firstrade.

Zecco also deals with forex so it's an additional benefit for me.

I have heard that zecco have very good support and that they are the cheapest. they are in the states, Pasadena. I have just sent off my photocopy of my passport so should be up and running by mid-week. I am confident they are a good company to go with though, just from what I heave read online (havent read any bad posts) still not confident about what way I should spend my little pot of 500 euros though :(

I have heard that zecco have very good support and that they are the cheapest. they are in the states, Pasadena. I have just sent off my photocopy of my passport so should be up and running by mid-week. I am confident they are a good company to go with though, just from what I heave read online (havent read any bad posts) still not confident about what way I should spend my little pot of 500 euros though :(

I'm pleased that you're using zecco. I just want to ask Yhem some stuff about forex. Their iPhone app is good it tells you a certain number of people that holds a detain share you're looking at e.g LNG.

It also has a community where you can trade information and tips. I'll be using them.

To be honest, the fact its American puts me off. I'd rather, since I'm a beginner, put my money somewhere in Ireland. I know thats probably silly, but I think I'd just be happier for now staying with an Irishy site...

To be honest, the fact its American puts me off. I'd rather, since I'm a beginner, put my money somewhere in Ireland. I know thats probably silly, but I think I'd just be happier for now staying with an Irishy site...

To b honest the fact that it's American makes it better as it's the home of trading.

• Advertisement

Im just trying to link my new zecco account with my bank account and it says this "Bank ABA Routing Number " is that the IBAN??? has anyone transferred funds before? how did you go about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Noel 006

Im just trying to link my new zecco account with my bank account and it says this "Bank ABA Routing Number " is that the IBAN??? has anyone transferred funds before? how did you go about it?

Zecco should you provide you with the Bank's ABA, the IBAN is specific to your own domestic account, I think the ABA is the equivalent of a Sort Code for the American Bank, not to be confused with their Swift Code which you will also need! The Joys!

Right, I've opened my account with Sharewatch and the ODL thingy. Is there any guides or FAQs online as to how the site works? I think I've nearly got the hang of it, bgut I was wondering if there's any beginner's guide to actually using the platform? :confused:

EDIT: Also, I though Sharewatch used an Irish based account? Or has that changed? Cause the ODL thingy which they use is advising me to transfer funds to an English banking account...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Im heading to Brisbane in the summer and have already opened my ANZ back account , while on the phone to ANZ they recommended two currency traders to me , Halo Financial and FC Exchange , both are based in the UK . Has anyone have had any dealing with either company or can recommend another company to take my business with . Ill be looking to do a large Euro > AUD transaction and looking to do AUd > Euro in the coming months .

Question.

When I bought shares this morning, I got the usual email receipt. I noticed it says the following...

Trade Date = 28 Apr 2011 09:51:56
    Settlement Date = 05 May 2011

Question is...whats the settlement date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

I have being in a special bonus saver account for 4 years now and I seem to be making little or no return on it btw its with BOI, can anyone suggest where I would make a better return for example would the credit union yield more?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ClickityClick

Have you considered An Post Saving Certificates? I've been investing in these for a number of years and I'm alway very pleased at the final sum which they've yielded. The secret is just invest and forget. I've all my savings in them, and I'm now wondering if they are OK, seeing as the Gov is trying to get their paws on everything. Could the Certs ever be considered as Pension Funds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ilpaction

Hi iMax

Have you heard about the Action Group for IL&P Shareholders?

See : www.ilpshareholders.com

If you are a shareholder or know anyone who is - we urge you to get to the AGM - Vote down this Board and play your part in directing the future of this company!

Hi ClicketyClick,

If you are a shareholder or know anyone who is - we urge you to get to the AGM - Vote down this Board and play your part in directing the future of this company!

Hi Team Shadow Clan

• Advertisement

Have you considered An Post Saving Certificates? I've been investing in these for a number of years and I'm alway very pleased at the final sum which they've yielded. The secret is just invest and forget. I've all my savings in them, and I'm now wondering if they are OK, seeing as the Gov is trying to get their paws on everything. Could the Certs ever be considered as Pension Funds?

No what way do they work briefly? The return am getting with BOI of say a few grand maturity is absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ClickityClick

you invest your amount in the current issue of saving certs, and there is interest added every six months. you can withdraw at any time, but always make sure that it is after a six month period, that way you get the interest accrued. If you can it's beter to leave it for the full term, usually 5 years. I don't know the actual % of interest, but if you look it up on the net you'll get the current figures.

you invest your amount in the current issue of saving certs, and there is interest added every six months. you can withdraw at any time, but always make sure that it is after a six month period, that way you get the interest accrued. If you can it's beter to leave it for the full term, usually 5 years. I don't know the actual % of interest, but if you look it up on the net you'll get the current figures.

Ok clickity sounds like an interesting option gonna check it out.

Thanks,
    Francie

Another question...

I notice Sharewatch and Davys seem not to update some of the share prices some days. Today, for example, all the data beside a good few of the companies is just left blank. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Black Rock

The NTMA's Savings Certificates grow every 6 month as follows
    ……………………GROSSED UP................ACTUAL NET "After Tax"
    ……………………RETURN.…AER………….AER......RETURN
    Year…..½……..1.37%....2.75%..........2.01%....1.00%
    Year 1…………. 2.88%....2.88%..........2.10%....2.10%
    Year 1 ½……..4.52%....3.00%...........2.19%....3.30%
    Year 2…………..6.30%....3.11%...........2.27%....4.60%
    Year 2 ½……..8.49%....3.34%...........2.44%....6.20%
    Year 3………..10.96%....3.56%...........2.60%....8.00%
    Year 3 ½…...13.70%....3.78%...........2.76%..10.00%
    Year 4……..…16.71……...4.00%..........2.92%...12.20%
    Year 4 ½…….20.00%....4.21%..........3.07%...14.6%
    Year 5…………23.97….....4.49%..........3.28%...17.50%
    Year 5 ½…….28.77.......4.84%..........3.53%...21.00%

The “Grossed Up Rates” on the left hand side of the table is there for comparison so that you clearly see the rate that you would need to receive from an alternative deposit product where all the interest earned is subject to DIRT at 27%.

The return shown on the right hand side of the table is the rate that you actually get paid by the NTMA’s Savings Certificate – it is in effect the “after tax” rate - no tax is payable on the NTMA’s Savings Certificate so no need to complete a tax return either.

The title “An Post Savings Certificates” is not accurate as An Post is a selling agent for the range of NTMA State Savings products and they simply provide a counter service to collect money on behalf of the NTMA – savings never reside with An Post but instead are transferred immediately to the Government under the management of the NTMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jackofspades

Hi guys,

I have 10k of cash to invest which I'm looking to spread across a range of asset classes for diversification benefit. I'm looking to at a 25 year investment horizon and creating a glide path high in equities at the beginning to more of a bond centric one at the end of life cycle.

What I am looking for is some advice in relation to greenchip stocks and funds. I believe that it is an interesting time to begin to make an investment in these, but do not have any knowledge of alternative energy sources or more importantly their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

What are the difficulties in investing in American shares from Ireland? A friend who regularly invests explained it all to me before but I can't recall most of what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Hi All, have had 10k in an Irish Life Property Fund for the last 6 years but now it's down to about 6k and I am wondering what to do next.
    Should I cash in and invest in something else or stick it out. The other half wants to cash it in but it's a lot to lose and I am not sure.
    Any advice welcome either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 marky1

Hi all, I have looked into High Yeild Investment programs and they look attractive. I have done the due diligence and spent a couple of weeks researching it. I am considering taking the plung and putting in a few Euro. Has anyone had an experience with them whether it be good bad or indifferent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DessieMG

Ok, so recently Bank Of Irelnd shares fell to € 0.09c per shares, I eard that at one stage during the boom they were valued at €16 per share. I'm only young and have a bit of cash to spend, around €300, which would buy 3333 shares, I'm not expecting them to reach the collosal heights they did several years back but I'm just wondering if this would be a good investment considering that if the bank goes bust it's only €300, and that over the course of 7-10 years €300 is very insignificant,

I'm just wondering what your opinions are on this, good idea, bad idea?

also, do you have to pay tax on any profits you make from shares? what is the rate?

Advertisement