Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GE2020: Kildare North

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Can you imagine asking O'Rourke any questions about national policy?

What sort of an answer could be give you?

His leaflet had lots of nice pictures of Frank around the area and a lovely blurb on what he had 'delivered for the Constituency'. Funnily enough it was light on national policy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Orion wrote: »
    I'm canvassing with Catherine and I can tell you that is not the message. SD will go into coalition but will not go in under any circumstances. IF SD are to help form a govt it must be a socially progressive govt and have a progressive programme for Govt. Whether that's with FF, FG or an amalgamation.

What do you mean by “socially progressive”?

For example:

I think we need a total reform of social welfare policy and get back to it being a short to medium term unemployment lifeline not a life choice. A cap on total household entitlements should be implemented.

We need an immediate fast tracked social and affordable housing initiative cutting through the bureaucracy

We need to implement realistic climate change policy looking at nuclear and strategies to deal with countries and regions where Co2 emissions are increasing.

We have a huge and increasing crime problem - time to get real with the causes and remedies.

Where are the SDs on these issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Rosahane wrote: »
    What do you mean by “socially progressive”?

For example:

I think we need a total reform of social welfare policy and get back to it being a short to medium term unemployment lifeline not a life choice. A cap on total household entitlements should be implemented.

We need an immediate fast tracked social and affordable housing initiative cutting through the bureaucracy

We need to implement realistic climate change policy looking at nuclear and strategies to deal with countries and regions where Co2 emissions are increasing.

We have a huge and increasing crime problem - time to get real with the causes and remedies.

Where are the SDs on these issues?

I'm not trying to fob you off here but there are long answers to these questions. The full manifesto is being launched on Friday. But you will find answers to some of these https://www.socialdemocrats.ie/what-we-stand-for/ already worded much better than I could.

Socially progressive means exactly that. Providing affordable housing, fixing the health service (that does not just mean money - it means fixing it from the bottom up rather than the top heavy one we have right now), providing more public services including more Gardaí.

The top 3 national issues at the doors are Housing/homelessness, Health service, Pensions with crime not far behind. Local issues such as public transport and traffic feature too.

While I've made no secret of my allegiances I did not enter this thread to canvass - just to take part.

Interesting odds. Martin might be worth a punt

500685.jpg

Some interesting changes in the odds. Lawless tightened and ahead of Frank. Green almost evens and still 5 odds on for 4 seats. In other words Paddy Power can't call it apart from Catherine at 1/18.

501259.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Is there any resign to not give Mac Mathuna (People Before Profit) and
    Séamus ӒRiain (Renua) a vote ?

Struggling this year to make a decision except i wont vote for Stagg or Frank (but i never have) id give Lab a vote but not Stagg.

I might give Mac Mathúna a preference alright not that it would help him much Renua can f off. I would also vote for Labour but never for Stagg how he was allowed to continue on in politics after his toilet jockey scandal is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Scoundrel wrote: »
    I might give Mac Mathúna a preference alright not that it would help him much Renua can f off. I would also vote for Labour but never for Stagg how he was allowed to continue on in politics after his toilet jockey scandal is beyond me.
    40 years ago.

I've decided not to give Durkan or Lawlor a preference; that's party based I don't want to vote for FG - normally I definitely would give them 4th and 5th.

And since discovering that Lawless is taking the train and claiming 25K a year for it I'm not giving him a preference either.

40 years ago.

I've decided not to give Durkan or Lawlor a preference; that's party based I don't want to vote for FG - normally I definitely would give them 4th and 5th.

And since discovering that Lawless is taking the train and claiming 25K a year for it I'm not giving him a preference either.

It was 1994 and a sleaze scandal that most wouldn't survive but anyway I'll be voting Cronin 1
    Murphy 2
    Mathúna 3
    Martin 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

It was 1994 and a sleaze scandal that most wouldn't survive but anyway I'll be voting Cronin 1
    Murphy 2
    Mathúna 3
    Martin 4
    Mine is pretty Similar but Stagg at 1 instead of Cronin and Cronin at 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I'm not trying to fob you off here but there are long answers to these questions. The full manifesto is being launched on Friday. But you will find answers to some of these https://www.socialdemocrats.ie/what-we-stand-for/ already worded much better than I could.

Socially progressive means exactly that. Providing affordable housing, fixing the health service (that does not just mean money - it means fixing it from the bottom up rather than the top heavy one we have right now), providing more public services including more Gardaí.

The top 3 national issues at the doors are Housing/homelessness, Health service, Pensions with crime not far behind. Local issues such as public transport and traffic feature too.

While I've made no secret of my allegiances I did not enter this thread to canvass - just to take part.

Thanks, I await with bated breath ;)

I had a look at what is on the SD website which is not a lot. However I found the environmental bit interesting, and, in the main reasonable.

There is however one fairly major glaring policy error which makes me thing that it was written by a Green rather than a knowledgeable environmentalist :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

Some interesting changes in the odds. Lawless tightened and ahead of Frank. Green almost evens and still 5 odds on for 4 seats. In other words Paddy Power can't call it apart from Catherine at 1/18.

501259.jpg

Vincent Martin moving from 6/1 to 5/4 makes sense to me. I have him at 4/1 so cant complain. Renua going from 33/1 to 20/1 makes no sense.

if i was to call it it would be murphy durkan then two from Lawless Martin and O'Rourke.

• Advertisement

scheister wrote: »
    Vincent Martin moving from 6/1 to 5/4 makes sense to me. I have him at 4/1 so cant complain. Renua going from 33/1 to 20/1 makes no sense.

if i was to call it it would be murphy durkan then two from Lawless Martin and O'Rourke.

Yeah 6/1 was nonsense. Not so sure about Durkan - there are not 2 FG seats and it depends on 1st prefs who gets in. I'd still back Durkan but it's possible Lawlor could pip him. Based on feedback at doors and elsewhere my current feeling is Murphy, Durkan, Lawless, Martin. Last 10 days just starting and that's the key time for all candidates. Things could change considerable by Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Rosahane wrote: »
    There is however one fairly major glaring policy error which makes me thing that it was written by a Green rather than a knowledgeable environmentalist :(

What was that?

The following is a quote from the Journal.ie from Renua party candidate in North Kildare Seamus Ó Ríain after being asked for Renua's stance on cycling: " A young man was chopped up and put into bags in Drogheda and another stabbed to death in Cork. You'll have to forgive us but worrying about how the average metro sexual cycles to work at Google is not top of our list of priorities".

He seems to be some sort of a headbanger he might offer some much needed madness into what is an otherwise very boring election campaign in Kildare North.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

190 votes and dead last in Clane in May. Can he even achieve that many in the wider constituency I wonder?

L1011 wrote: »
    190 votes and dead last in Clane in May. Can he even achieve that many in the wider constituency I wonder?

I wouldn't hold out much hope for him so seemingly he's the chairman of Renua:eek:. Are there many/any independents standing this time around? I usually give one or two of them a pity preference

LOL I literally just saw on twitter that he's the chairman. Good for him. After they get no votes maybe they'll shut down that worthless party.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wouldn't hold out much hope for him so seemingly he's the chairman of Renua:eek:. Are there many/any independents standing this time around? I usually give one or two of them a pity preference

Two, Wayne Swords and David Monahan. The former has a Facebook page and some other bits and pieces online; the latter appears to be the same guy as this 2009 locals candidate

As for Renua, they have basically no officials left as everyone left; the state funding tap will be turned off imminently due to the election as there's zero chance of getting the 2% nationally to keep it on (and they don't come within an asses roar of meeting the gender quota anyway). They'll completely vanish soon enough and the lunatics will either try invade Aontu (some already have) or the far right parties.

Two, Wayne Swords and David Monahan. The former has a Facebook page and some other bits and pieces online; the latter appears to be the same guy as this 2009 locals candidate

As for Renua, they have basically no officials left as everyone left; the state funding tap will be turned off imminently due to the election as there's zero chance of getting the 2% nationally to keep it on (and they don't come within an asses roar of meeting the gender quota anyway). They'll completely vanish soon enough and the lunatics will either try invade Aontu (some already have) or the far right parties.

Thanks for that I'll give them a pity preference each so while leaving FG FF and Labour blank as I always do. Renua will soon be consigned to the dustbin of history where it belongs and I'm sure we can all look forward to Mr Ó Ríain standing as an Aontú candidate in the future.

Wayne Swords is engaging on the Maynooth Notice Boards facebook page.

The Renua one will more likely stand for ACI, NP or Irexit rather than Aontu.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭boardbeer

... Local issues such as public transport and traffic feature too.
    Thanks, but although the SDs have previously emphasised climate & environment (the thing that will influence my vote the most), this manifesto seems light on it - I was disappointed with the empty Investing in Quality Public Transport (launching soon) section, and I would have liked to have seen more along these lines: Safer-Cycling-for-Healthy-Communities-Web.pdf (from 2018)

• Advertisement

Full manifesto is Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The following is a quote from the Journal.ie from Renua party candidate in North Kildare Seamus Ó Ríain after being asked for Renua's stance on cycling: " A young man was chopped up and put into bags in Drogheda and another stabbed to death in Cork. You'll have to forgive us but worrying about how the average metro sexual cycles to work at Google is not top of our list of priorities".

He seems to be some sort of a headbanger he might offer some much needed madness into what is an otherwise very boring election campaign in Kildare North.

Hah, Really wish he wasn't part of that religiously aligned ilk. Thats a brilliant reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

ShyMets wrote: »
    Actually I lie. Had a sorry we missed you leaflet from Frank O'Rourke. Not that I was shedding any tears having missed the opportunity to speak with him

I read on KFM that O’Rourke is looking to have a bus lane on the M4. So, he wants no hard shoulder? I have. Driven all over Europe and cannot recall any Mway ever having a Bus lane.

I read on K&M that O’Rourke is looking to have a bus lane on the M4. So, he wants no hard shoulder? I have. Driven all over Europeand cannot recall any Mway ever having. Bus lane.

TII are looking at it, Frank just regurgitated it as if he had asked for it

The M4 (coincidentally) in to London formerly had one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

TII are looking at it, Frank just regurgitated it as if he had asked for it

The M4 (coincidentally) in to London formerly had one

Yes, but wasn’t the M4 into London a 3 lane Mway, with a hard #houlder?

Yes, but wasn’t the M4 into London a 3 lane Mway, with a hard #houlder?

It had no shoulder on the buslane section as far as I remember. This will be widened to 3

It won't be a magic bullet - there are issues caused by chaotic merging at Celbridge (and to a lesser extent Maynooth) but the road capacity does not exist further in.

I read on KFM that O’Rourke is looking to have a bus lane on the M4. So, he wants no hard shoulder? I have. Driven all over Europe and cannot recall any Mway ever having a Bus lane.

Well considering you're not allowed stop on a motorway it's a bit pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hero001

Listens to Ivan Yates pod cast on North Kildare last night.

He is predicting that Durkin and Lawlor will split the FG vote, and FG will end up with no seat.

He thinks Murphy will top the pole, followed by O'Rourke and Lawless, with Martin taking the final seat.

He said that about FG last time too - they did split the vote but transfers from Lawless got Durkan elected. There's little doubt Murphy will top the poll. Most likely a distributable surplus on 1st count. How 1st are shared will decide the rest - Not many come back from a large deficit (some notable exceptions). But I'll be shocked if FG don't have 1 seat in NK.
    Likely outcome is SD, FF, FG, 1 from Green/FF/FG - in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Haven't had any callers unfortunately. Have any of the candidates outlined there plans for the Naas ring road?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement