Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where should I avoid for student accommodation in Athlone?

Options
  • 18-12-2019 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I'm a student at AIT.

I've been commuting for the past while but now I'm looking at moving into Athlone.

Where should I be looking? Where's good and where should I avoid?

I've seen a few places listed on Daft at Willow Park and Willow Drive but I've heard less than savoury things about that area.
    I'm looking for somewhere near to the college living with other students (If I can).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

MrMiata wrote: »
    Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I'm a student at AIT.

I've been commuting for the past while but now I'm looking at moving into Athlone.

Where should I be looking? Where's good and where should I avoid?

I've seen a few places listed on Daft at Willow Park and Willow Drive but I've heard less than savoury things about that area.
    I'm looking for somewhere near to the college living with other students (If I can).

Cypress Gardens is ok and close. Valleycourt too. Willow because of its sheer size has its fair share of.... not great.

Ye could go closer to town or even Monksland or Coosan if you want a quieter evening/night. Needs a drive (or long bus ride) to get you in though. Cycle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

Try The Moorings, it looks really posh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I would avoid Willow Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Gorteen wrote: »
    I would avoid Willow Park

That's what I've heard too but I also know 2 fellas who I work with (part time, we're all in college) and they say it's alright, neither of them have had any bad run in ands they're both further into the estate then where I'd be looking at.

It might be my only option at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Emarieclare98

Hiya, I stayed in heatherview court for final year so just want to give a heads up for anyone considering it☺️
    The accommodation itself is very nice, with secure parking and nice rooms.
    However, it is way overpriced for what you’re getting.
    I wanted a quiet environment for final year and a bit of leeway for a few nights out over the semesters of course!
    But I found that this was really hard to achieve with 5 other housemates.
    You end up spending most your time in the library anyway and only spending a few hours in the evening at the accommodation so I felt it was a waste of money.
    Tuesday nights are ‘Tack Tuesdays’ in the pub infront of the accommodation, so it’s really noisy at times and full of first years.
    Furthermore, the accommodation was really cold so me and my housemates would end up leaving the oven on for hours to try and heat the place up!
    The landlord is so unhelpful, spending the majority of time himself in the tack room and not dealing with issues on site.
    He’s extremely strict about having people over even if it’s friends for a few hours.
    He’s way over the top, guarding the gates and constantly monitoring the cameras.
    But with people he likes and drinks with, he lets them do whatever they want so it’s very disruptive at times with parties going on till the early a.m, particularly around exam times when first years finished their exams.
    To summarise: I would not recommend staying in Heatherview.
    It’s way too expensive for what you’re getting.
    Not quiet at all and you’re constantly being watched so literally have no freedom to have people over etc.
    Really cold most of the year and just overall not worth the stay.
    Save yerselves the cost and ****e craic!
    Heard good reviews about valley court, croi life and also willow park is not a bad shout if you know who you’re living with, with rooms starting at 85e a week!
    I’ve heard horror stories about the estate but one of the girls stayed there and I wish I had instead of heatherview!
    I think houses are the way to go rather than student accommodations as I’ve never had luck with them but loved the houses I stayed in!
    Hope this helped and best of luck xx

• Advertisement
Advertisement