Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning Permission for Bayside shopping center demolition granted

• 26-02-2016 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Just to prove that there is not only Insomia and Starbucks happening at this end of town :-)

permission can found on Fingal website:
    Planning Reference: F15A/0436

cant wait to see the old building gone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Versus what was proposed in 2010 there will be more retail\amenity space and less allotted to apartments... Will be interested to see who is lined up as anchor for the food store...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

Brilliant news.

The old centre was tired and worn out and long past its replacement date

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

subpar wrote: »
    Brilliant news.

The old centre was tired and worn out and long past its replacement date

yea, it really looks like some gloomy place in eastern Europe :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Where is Bayside Shopping Centre? Is it the one with the Eurospar and a church in the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Hopefully the new centre will have a Starbucks or Insomnia in it :D

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Where is Bayside Shopping Centre? Is it the one with the Eurospar and a church in the car park?

Yes, and part of the apartment blocks will be also demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Pity the whole site is not knockable

Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Hoardings going up around a large part of the car park for a builder's compound. Staff in shops saying construction is starting on an Aldi - happy days if correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I wish they'd do the same to Edenmore "shopping centre", it's hideous, belongs in the past

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wish they'd do the same to Edenmore "shopping centre", it's hideous, belongs in the past

The pub is never reopening (licence transferred out) and the old Iceland unit is still empty I think. Has the doctors surgery moved out? Leaves a very extensive section that could be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭subpar

If ALDI are opening what happens to Eurospar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭francois

Nothing can be as bad as the eyesore that masquerades as the Crumlin shopping centre

BowWow wrote: »
    Hoardings going up around a large part of the car park for a builder's compound. Staff in shops saying construction is starting on an Aldi - happy days if correct.

Great news. Hopefully they tidy up the appearance of those apartments above the stores too. I wonder what state those apartments are in? They look bleak from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

francois wrote: »
    Nothing can be as bad as the eyesore that masquerades as the Crumlin shopping centre

ballymun? donaghmede and northside arent much better either

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Northside has had a full internal and external refit in the past 3 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Northside actually looks good these days, a far cry from the 90s with aul ones walking around the place smoking etc, lol

Anybody know what store is going in at Bayside when complete? The area will look so much better with this site cleaned up and redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Anybody know what store is going in at Bayside when complete? The area will look so much better with this site cleaned up and redeveloped.

I could swear I saw Aldi mentioned somewhere, but I can't remember where I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Conchir wrote: »
    I could swear I saw Aldi mentioned somewhere, but I can't remember where I saw it.

I've heard Aldi from a few locals too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pretty sure EuroSpar is moving out for the year, and then move back in to the new larger premises after construction is finished. Post office likewise.

Dont think Eurospar will be back, as they closed from one day to the other without any "thank you for your service and looking forward to see you in our new shop in ......."
    In fact, it seems even the staff was only informed about the closure last minute.
    Local rumor (as already said) is ALDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

marvin42 wrote: »
    Dont think Eurospar will be back, as they closed from one day to the other without any "thank you for your service and looking forward to see you in our new shop in ......."
    In fact, it seems even the staff was only informed about the closure last minute.
    Local rumor (as already said) is ALDI.
    so who is actually operating the tempory shop? the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clarec1980

As far as I know eurospar run the temporary shop.
    I also heard that it's not Aldi going in due to an issue with no underground car park. But this could be just bayside gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Great to see some redevelopment happening. Long time coming. They allowed that whole site and car park fall into ruin so well played by those involved.
    Please tell me something is being done with the decrepit squash and leisure centre?? Great place in the 80's. But fallen to ruin since.
    #Baysidepride :)

yes, the squash center is also to be demolished, as far as i know in phase 2 of the redevelopment of the shopping center. All in all it is supposed to take three years to complete all the redevelopment. The Old SPAR/Centra was demolished this week.
    more detailed info here:
    documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00504921.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Any update of what's being built?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clarec1980

moloner4 wrote: »
    Any update of what's being built?

I heard phase 1 will be finished by Nov.

Here are visuals of what it will look like when finished.
    http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00504943.pdf

Planning Reference:
    F15A/0436

Date of Application:
    18-Sep-2015

Date of Registration:
    26-Jan-2016

Application Type:
    Permission

Case Officer:
    Una O'Neill

Applicant:
    Bayside Centre Management & Urban Pulse

Bayside Shopping Centre, Bayside Square, Sutton, Dublin 13.

• Advertisement

demolition work for phase 1 is done since a couple of weeks, and workers are working on the foundations now.... finishing by November should be possible.

Advertisement