Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Town poor planning

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Where is the regeneration plan for Carlow town these days?

as an adjunct to my earlier post I see 100 new jobs in MSD. However, how many of these will move or even live here? A town needs to have an anchor to attract folks to live there, particularly more skilled or educated ones who have travelled widely and with their expectations are unlikely to settle for what Carlow has to currently offer. Often some of these better paid folks move to Kilkenny or Kildare and just commute down on the motorway. The leakage of these better paid residents is visible from the type and level,of retail available in Carlow vs elsewhere. People on minimum wage or more modest incomes will not sustain much beyond fast food joints …

To be fair to some of the leadership in CW coco they are trying to move things on a piece. From what I see, the myopic, opportunist elected members often are a handbrake on progress and are led by objectors or the lowest common denominator …. The Barrow blue way is a case in point … Seperately, the issue of Graiguecullen needs to be revisited medium to long term - but that’s another days work …

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

It goes both ways though, you need only look at the amount of cars heading for Dublin every morning, or down to KK or Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CraftBeer

Carlow has much more to offer than Kilkenny on a practical level, but there's a snob inside us all and people will happily fork out an extra 200k to live in a similar sized house in Kilkenny town vs Carlow. The seven or eight retail parks in the town are fantastic vs trying to navigate the clogged Kilkenny streets on a Saturday afternoon with its single retail park. The educational facilities at all levels are better in Carlow. The traffic is better in Carlow town. These are practical, everyday things that i appreciate about living here vs Kilkenny, or Dublin.

The census has shown that the population growth of Kilkenny has slowed compared to the national average. They have priced themselves out of the market for many first time buyers, and their highfalutin council has focused too much on hotels and tourism and too little on retail. Up until a couple of years ago they didn't even have a decent Cinema in Kk. They won't even let Tesco into the town.

Sure, Kilkenny is far more pleasing on the eye compared to hollowed out Carlow town centre, but the donut effect does have a lot of practical benefits for ordinary folks who just want the modern conveniences on their doorstep. I'll bet Argos in Carlow gets more footfall than the Butler gallery in Kilkenny 😁

Post edited by CraftBeer on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I live in Kilkenny, I love Carlow and worked there too. But there is simply no comparison between the two. Carlow town centre feels dead by comparison, absolutely nothing going on. I considered buying a house in either but settled on Kilkenny even though I could get far far better value in Carlow. But as a work colleague from Wexford at the time asked me “do you WANT to live in Carlow”? Maybe there is a silly snob value at play but there’s some lovely fancy areas in Carlow I wouldn’t mind living in like Oakpark or the KK road.

Kilkenny is bad for traffic but equally I hate the traffic in Carlow it’s worse in some ways as there’s no proper ring road at all. Obrien/Tullow N80 road is constantly clogged any time of the day

• Advertisement

I lived in Kilkenny. I know the town well enough. I did love the pubs, eating out was so-so, but it's not good for shopping. It's a nightmare for parking. It's expensive. My wife has friends living in Kilkenny who come up here to shop. Ne'er a decent/convenient fish shop or bakery in the town, at least when I lived there.

Personally speaking, we have a slighly better quality of life in Carlow than Kilkenny. Our money goes further, everything is more convenient, better house, more retail options, better neighbours now (we got out of a boom time estate in KK). Overall it has been a good move.

I won't lose much sleep over the poor look of Carlow town centre. Whether it's junkies on display on Tullow street or ceramics on display in the Kilkenny design gallery, neither of these things has any actual impact on most peoples everyday lives because most of us live outside town centres.

Carlow is thriving, people are just looking in the wrong place for the footfall. It's not in the traditional town centre.

Perhaps your friend should have asked a different question: Do you WANT to have your mortgage paid off years earlier?

proposed development for Kennedy avenue… certainly a striking design by a big name architecture firm …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Yes but will it ever proceed? I mean the demand for student accommodation is there but planning permission was granted to Carlow Estates for the site on 5th of March 2019.....

But as a development, the concept looks magnificent in design terms; seems quite high, four storeys in comparison to surrounding premises & residences but permission was granted so....

imdidnt realise,it was that long since PP was granted. Certainly if the owners of the site are who I think they are financing won’t be an issue. Any jobs they have done about the town have always been a cut above the average. Re accommodation there is always an upgrade in stock, what was good 10,or 15 years ago moves on I suppose…

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

Have to laugh at some of the comments about Kilkenny.

Trying to compare both is just delusional. It's easy to argue that it's a "snob" thing but it's just the truth.

Kilkenny is leagues better than Carlow and possibly one of the nicest places to live in the country.

Saying the traffic is better in Carlow is hilarious, have you ever tried to get from Green lane to the college between 5-6 in the last year? Or even out the Wexford road? New traffic lights all over the place that don't prioritise throughput through the town, clogging up the entire place.

Carlow certainly has better shopping than Kilkenny but that is partly due to less restrictive planning and laois co co allowing big development just over the border presumably to get in on some precious rate income. I'm not sure the American style retail parks that require dependency on cars are something to be overly celebrated though.

Kilkenny is certainly more expensive but the reason for that is people actually want to live there. It's on another level for pubs, restaurants and entertainment than Carlow.

Just look at how many hotels are in the centre of Carlow town Vs Kilkenny, and then look at the standard of hotel in both.

Carlow has its positives but let's not let bias get in the way of reality.

I'll happily pay a couple of euros to park in Kilkenny every time and enjoy strolling around the thriving city centre, castle grounds and many festivals, restaurants and pubs, instead of looking at the many betting shops, pharmacies, discount shops, hairdressers and boarded up vacant units that occupy much of Carlow town centre.

• Advertisement

Carlow is better for “everyday” shopping in my opinion - stuff like groceries, household, DIY, larger Penneys etc

Kilkenny has been very restrictive in planning it’s fair to say- Carlow it seems is more market driven and stores seem to be allowed set up where they want to - and sell what they want. Out of town retail in Kilkenny is actually restricted in what they’re allowed sell. A store selling fashion or food would unlikely get planning permission in a Kilkenny retail park- bulky goods only as far as i know

Also the Laois thing defo a factor. The large retail park with dunnes stores etc in graiguecullen though very convenient, would never happen in Kilkenny.

Dunnes stores should be located in the town centre or close to it at least. The dynamic would be quite different had that been the case I think. It’s a huge draw of a store

• Registered Users Posts: 60,267 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Carlow Council only have themselves to blame for it being on the Laois side of the river and the rates going to the Laois County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Naas town centre was dying when Tesco's moved out towards Sallins, now that Dunnes have moved into the old Superquinn site in the town centre, it's brought a bit of life back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spark Plug

Dunnes in Graiguecullen is very handy for parking and pulls a cohort of business from the Northern end of Kilkenny (Castlecomer)

Agree the planning or lack of in Carlow has ruined the town centre. Not uncommon in several provincial towns to be fair, but this donut effect is well known and understood. I suppose brownfield development is always less attractive and can mean planning issues etc. I agree no comparison between KK and CW town centres, chalk and cheese, in the last 30 years both have gone in differing directions.

Separately a county boundary extension westward of the town is a no brainier and was been mooted before as part of a wider package involving Waterford city and the ferryback piece in south KK, Drogheda and a few other places.Rubbish like GAA allegiances plays a factor, these can be solved, but should not be one of the causes of holding up development.

KK is a dead town, propped up by tourism and stag parties, whose population age is higher than the national average. No population growth in six years. A fake city smaller than Carlow town, with housing estates that cost 750k to live in. Priced itself out of anyone wanting to move there now. Nice to stroll around and enjoy the sights and sounds of the Hebron road or wetlands though. Ye'er right, Carlow doesn't have anything to compare to them beauties. Even my wife says she doesn't see half the number of "indigenous ethnic minority" patients here in Carlow vs when she worked in Kilkenny. First time we went out for a drink there was a punch up in Billy Byrnes 😂 Haven't witnessed a fight yet in Carlow.

We'll just have to put up with our betting shops, pharmacies, boarded up shops, two third level colleges, multiple retail parks, our 18 million euro theatre, our better restaurants and our cheaper pints. While the KK hippies were protesting a new bridge, Carlow has been outgrowing ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Remember our various Cllrs. stances on this issue at the time when it comes to next May; particularly the ones in the Tullow LEA/MD https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2023/11/29/councils-legal-action-has-cost-300-jobs-in-tullow-says-developer/?fbclid=IwAR0B5Lb9YOjUi8Gaf2sEAgA54G-D-yjvH2oV9TbIe8vsDEIG6rVSLTmYJHs

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

Lots to unpack here from what seems to be a somewhat bitter and bizarrely reasoned argument. I don't think anyone said Carlow was bad, so not sure where the big chip on the shoulder is coming from.

I'm not sure how you could argue that kk is "dead". The population grew 12% from 2016 to 2022.

The average age is less than one year above average for the country, do you have a problem with older people or what is the point of that statement?

"A fake city smaller than Carlow" - absolutely, Carlow is now enjoying larger population than Kilkenny, you won't hear me disputing that. I don't give a toss about the city thing either.

There are very few housing estates where its 750k for a house, but they do exist. It's called supply and demand though, last time I checked no one forces you to buy one of those, or do you just not like wealthy people?

On your other comment.. am I to take it you have a problem with ethnic minorities also, or is it just them having access to healthcare? Or perhaps accessing healthcare in the hospital that serves both counties?

Strange that you haven't witnessed any fights in Carlow, I've observed them during the day while walking around with my young kids.

If the measure of quality of life these days is based on out of town retail parks, population growth, a lack of, or lack of tolerance for diversity and availability of cheap pints then I feel sorry for those that think this way.

Is it just the older people, ethnic minorities, the wealthy, and those that care about the development and history of the place they live in that you don't like, or did you forget anyone?

I'm glad you moved to Carlow and like it, because we don't want those attitudes here.

Oh, if you could point me in the direction of those better restaurants too I'd appreciate it.

Why would property prices be much higher in a dead town that nobody wants to live in? They’d be collapsing and people would be snapping up cheap kk homes. Absolutely not yeh case. I knew people that had to move to Carlow and outer small towns to get something affordable. Expensive property is always the hallmark of a place people want to live in and goes a long way to explain Kilkenny low population growth- there’s literally been nowhere to live for people. Kilkenny isnt that attractive for migrants as there’s far cheaper places. I’d actually be very glad if the rest of the country was at this rate as we simply do not have the capacity to deal with this level. It’s next to impossible rent a place. The reason you’ve very expensive new homes in kk is because people want to live there and pay that premium. Also demographics follow this as it’s not the better off and older demographic driving birth rates. You need only a quick walk around Carlow during the day. The unemployment rate is traditionally double Kilkenny’s and CSO stats i read before had well over 50% more jobs/employment based in Kilkenny (vaguely remember something like 7,500 daytime jobs vs 12,500 or so). There’s a lot more white collar office type jobs in kk that wouldn’t be in Carlow.

When I was looking to buy first time I looked at both. Could get a LOT more in Carlow but when it came to it Kilkenny was a no brainer even though I do like Carlow. By Irish standards it’s a good town. Even work colleagues talked me out of it and I’m glad they did.

As for the restaurants what great ones are in Carlow? Cafe 500 is great but they’re actually opening in Kilkenny soon. There’s one middle of the road decent hotel. Kilkenny has problems but not sure I’d swap them for Carlow’s

Post edited by road_high on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Am I correct in thinking that you are not happy with Carlow CC taking the action they did?

While the outcome of the court case cannot be argued with, in my opinion The Nationalist has a history of sensationalist headlines and they will print anything that they think will sell papers or get them click, it has become a rag akin to the traditional red top rags.

Advertisement