Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks. I’ll try a proper finishing ration in the coming days.

I’m wondering now too what’s in the nuts I’m giving them. I asked the lads in the local merchant about an ingredient list but all I got was, “Johnny probably knows that. I’ll ask him to ring ya”

He never rang and I let the €345/ton persuade me.

Might be nothing wrong with it but maybe I’m getting what I paid for.

Edited to say they are eating all the nuts morning and evening but just not going mad for them

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

A ration full of fillers by the sound of it, bullocks that size as previously stated need 5kg a day at least of a good ration to drive them on. Cheap might sound good but performance is best, we feed growing mix and a finishing coarse ration to stock to drive them, the less time spent in the yard the better. The money only comes at the drop of the hammer or the back leg in the air and weight is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d never feed less than 5kg to anything that’s getting fattened and have no problem feeding 6kg in one sitting (to bigger cattle than yours though).

I’d keep it simple if I was you and just buy a low protein finishing nut and not be bothered with that bol**xing of mixing barley through it for 4 cattle.

I’ve a yard of cattle getting fed a finishing nut at the minute and if one of them isn’t at the barrier waiting to get it in the morning I know there is something wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What you need is bull finisher ration,dont ask me what ingredients but that is what in the know use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The 2 most important things in any finishing ration are maize and barley in that order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

That’s cos their addiditives in bull nuts that stop acidosis for ad-lib feeding .

hi maize nuts is what simasa sessions should be feeding. Tho I doubt there’s much return feeding a hape of meal inside to dairy bred cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It will be more profitable for him to finish than to sell at mart sinse he has brought them this far and he is tight on straw and shed space to hold on much longer ,so it is well worth the gamble .I agree with you in principle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am feeding 5 kg/ head of straight maize to some bullocks at present. They are on excellent silage ( it was tested at 77 DMD & 42%DM).

Recommended to feed with it a 10 %P ration so maize will do.

Costing 316/ton out of Kerry group in bags.

I have never seen cattle turn there nose up to good barley or maize. I suspect the nuts, I have seen this happen before where I was feeding a decent ration and ran out, I had to go to local.co-op for a few bags until bin was filled again

The cattle would put there nose into the trough and then look up at you as if to say "WTF is this"

If you can get straight maize ( yellow meal) I feed them 3-4 kgs of it. Any decent ration in bags will cost 370/ ton paying the equivalent of nearly 400/ ton for maize munch off Dairygold but it's only for a few bags for a few weanling that were bought and squeezed.

Get a bag of minerals as well. I not sure what tTirlan will charge you for Maize, Dairygold were 320/ ton.

For 4-6 weeks P will not matter and for a 50/ton difference the bit they will sh!t will make no difference. Often we go too technical about we do. I always fed maize ( or barley but preferably maize) with any finishing nut I ever bought.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

Maize is the only job to get the right fat cover on,you would not want to go too hard with it if they get sick it's hard to get them going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

20 month Angus and Whitehead bullocks doing 1.25kg a day here on 4kg of Gain fast finisher nuts and adlib red clover silage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mr..

@Siamsa Sessions if u got ur silage tested, it might help with what level of meal /"cubes" to feed

Fair enough. I’d like to know the DMD of it but …

I’ve nearly 200 bales, and they were cut at various times from mid-May to late July from various fields - old permanent pasture to 2-year-old reseeds. Some got fertiliser for silage, others were paddocks that got too strong and didn’t get much fertiliser in advance.

I’m not trying to be smart for a second but how many bales would I need to sample or how accurate would those samples be in representing the average quality of the bales?

I do soil samples, weigh cattle, etc. and I’m always trying to gather relevant info from the place but how do you get the right figures from bales compared to testing pit silage?

Go for it K...the base price is after increasing since you posted. In any event you are better off factoring them, some lad in the mart will get a twist out of your hard work. Just make sure you get the fat scores right.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I have a few cull/dry cows to get rid off, they would have been TB tested in April this year.

they would probably require another bit of feeding before the factory.

I had planned on bring them to the mart, but I’m just wondering now with the new TB testing rules - because it’s been more than 6 months since the cows were tested - would I be taking a big hit on bringing them to the mart ? (My understanding is that the purchaser would have to get them tested in his or her herd then)

I would not be overly concerned about testing. I got it done for free, it would not be done otherwise.

If you cut silage like that ( which we all do to an extent ) try to stack it in a few separately in stacks. The early May silage should be kept separately for any cattle you intend to finish. The next best should be fed earlier in the year to your younger cattle to reduce buying ration. Feed any poorer silage before turnout as compensatory growth will compensate.

Silage cut in mid May even from old pastures will be around 75 DMD plenty good for young finishing cattle on 3-5 kgs of ration

With clover silage there is plenty of P in it. Straight barley or Maize wound have been grand as a finishing supplement along with minerals

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd sell away at them as. The majority of men buying dry cows at this time of year are what's termed as feedlots and the testing doesn't make any difference to them. It's different in the springtime with 7 months farmers but in the backend there's little farmer customers for feeding cows.

It's not even a huge inconvenience to seven month men that finish cattle. All it means is you cannot sell in the mart you must go to the factory until you test again

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mr..

There very valid points @Siamsa Sessions, when does one stop testing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Some lad's take correspondence from the department very seriously and wouldn't sleep at night if they thought they were in breach of some regulation, I'm related to a few of them. However I agree and it's not as big an issue as it's made out to be.

It's only really a problem if you're trying to trade both sides of the ring. The biggest inconvenience I see is too lad's that used to deal in suckler's and the like, you could have a vet in the yard twice a week testing since it came in.

I changed nuts for those bullocks I’m trying to finish. Hard to see in the image but it’s 14% protein with maize, barley, and distillers grain as the 1st listed ingredients.

It’s expensive at €400/ton but that’s in small bags. I’ll be able to take it in bulk next time.

And they’re eating it much better than the previous 16% nut + barley I was giving them.

Thanks again for the insights and advice

That's the job. Wouldn't be far off my finisher ration. 400 for nuts in small bags would be not far off where finisher feed is at.

Thanks.

I’ve a small experiment going on today and tomorrow with these bullocks too. I put one of the 4 back into the rest of the store cattle as he’s a little lighter so there’s 3 of them on finisher nuts now.

I had a few sheets of stok board lying around so I put them under the 3 bullocks in the pen, which is a span of the shed - around 5m x 5m. I’m scraping the pen twice a day and they seem happy enough lying on the stok board.

It’s a kinda variation of rubber mats under them.

Will reassess tomorrow evening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Would the Stok board become slippery for them to walk on

Not so far anyway but they’re only on it 24 hours at this stage.

Will see how tomorrow goes

Great mix. No rubbish in it all good ingredients. I am not sure why they bothered with the soyabean meal there is only 2-3% of it in the total mix. Must be over 70%maize and barley and wheat and beet pulp make up nearly another 20%. Probably up at nearly 14 ME

Even if you are feeding weanlings a kg of that would be as good as two kgs of the other nut to them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭amacca

What would ye recommend for 8/9 month old continental weanlings on ad lib middling silage, getting minerals....something like above only up the protein?

Majority of them will probably get a summer at grass in 24 and be on their way april/may/June ish 25.

I would not get too hung up on P. I much prefer something like above than a poorer quality high P fed. Often poorer quality silage is higher in P than better quality

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

Which app is the weanling sale in Carrick on Shannon on?

Advertisement