Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Anyone know where I'd pick up an Xmas tree in Phibsboro?

Depends on which end you are but I saw them outside Clarkes on the Cabra Road over the weekend. Not sure if that's handy for you. No doubt they'll be outside Phibsborough SC soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

closest i can think of is popping down to woodies in glasnevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Usually get mine in Matt's (think it's officially called Phibsboro Hardware) on Phibsborough Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Anything new in Phisborough .Another thread said the Porter house at cross guns bridge has had a face lift and a new name .Anything else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

anto9 wrote: »
    Anything new in Phisborough .Another thread said the Porter house at cross guns bridge has had a face lift and a new name .Anything else ?

Nothing i can really think of anto,apart from the corpo buying up dalymount and the shopping centre ,not much happening.All the old bedsits in Cabra park are being (slowly) knocked together into proper flats to comply with government regulations. Proper order too,ive been in some poxy kips down there over the years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

anto9 wrote: »

A couple of new coffee shops. Bang Bang on Leinster St. North has been open since the start of the year and always seems busy - good food and even better coffee - and another one called Two Boys Brew opens this week. That's on NCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

Porterhouse is the Whitworth now. Back page is improving. LUAS stations are being dug out if you like tonka toys Grangegorman is a building site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

petejmk wrote:
    A couple of new coffee shops. Bang Bang on Leinster St. North has been open since the start of the year and always seems busy - good food and even better coffee - and another one called Two Boys Brew opens this week. That's on NCR.

where on ncr will that be?

we've also got new bakery 'Cremore' up near church and new planter boxes along phibsboro rd. Another chipper 'taste buds' opened across from DrQuirkeys..

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭petejmk

Zipppy wrote: »
    where on ncr will that be?

we've also got new bakery 'Cremore' up near church and new planter boxes along phibsboro rd. Another chipper 'taste buds' opened across from DrQuirkeys..

Near Spar. Opened yesterday.

petejmk wrote:
    Near Spar. Opened yesterday.

Up there at weekend....busy spot....really nice addition to phibsboro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Up there at weekend....busy spot....really nice addition to phibsboro

Def recommend Two Boys Brew. Nice spot. A bit on the pricey side for an 'out of city centre' place but the food is presented beautifully and tastes great. Coffee bang on too. Bang Bang is also a super little spot. Great to have places that do good coffee.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nice little spot to have, nice coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Was in Two Boys at the weekend. A cool little spot. Brunch menu was very good, and the coffee was excellent. Good to have a place like that in Phibs.

shelves in tesco quite empty this week...anything going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Nah, that is just Tesco Phisboro. It is rare that they have everything you want on the shelf. They are usually pretty bare. The google reviews are less than stellar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's further away but I always go to the one in Finglas. The one in Phibsboro is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's further away but I always go to the one in Finglas. The one in Phibsboro is rubbish.

There's one at Prussia Street at Hanlon's Corner end and also a little further up on the Cabra Road next to McDonalds and Iceland as well.

I'm surprised that none of the other competitors (Dunnes/Supervalu/Aldi/Lidl) have representation in Phibsboro or the wider D7 Drumcondra/Cabra/Stoneybatter/Grangegorman area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

ongarboy wrote: »
    There's one at Prussia Street at Hanlon's Corner end and also a little further up on the Cabra Road next to McDonalds and Iceland as well.

I'm surprised that none of the other competitors (Dunnes/Supervalu/Aldi/Lidl) have representation in Phibsboro or the wider D7 Drumcondra/Cabra/Stoneybatter/Grangegorman area.

I think that's because there isn't anywhere for them to go.

There's an Aldi going behind the Halfway House but that's closer to blanch than D7.

I live beside it...makes no sense to climb in car and sit in traffic....never anything in the place though :(

Would the Old Bank make a great restaurant?
    and Bushes pub should extend out to canal and open an outside area facing canal...would be a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

and Bushes pub should extend out to canal and open an outside area facing canal...would be a winner.

That small site beside them is being sold. Residential planning permission I think, so there will be apartments there. It would be nice to have a pub like the Barge on the northside for the odd sunny day but I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

I've thought about that on a number of occasions. The unit opposite (previously a betting shop) is now vacant as well. I think with the redevelopment of Dalymount and the shopping centre in the next few years we'll see an improvement in the amenities at Phibs crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

SB_Part2 wrote:
    There's an Aldi going behind the Halfway House but that's closer to blanch than D7.

There's pp in for a lidl in the site behind Hanlons pub and the hardware place.

sweetie wrote: »
    There's pp in for a lidl in the site behind Hanlons pub and the hardware place.
    I heard about this about 5 years ago but never saw the pp. Has it actually got it?

Edit: http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=2965/15&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=2966496%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=%27wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=3554810%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=APNID:DESC%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=2966496%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E
    Permission for development at 12-32 Old Cabra Road and 8-16 Annamoe Road, Dublin 7 (Lands comprising PH Ross Builders Merchants and Home Improvement Centre and site to rear of 1-7 Annamore Road, Known as 1A Annamoe Road) (0.837ha). The development will consist of a mixed use development comprising the following elements: (1) A supermarket incorporating ancillary bakery and off-licence area of 1251sq.m (net retail sales area) and associated accommodation within a building of 2555sq.m gross floor area. The supermarket is located over a surface level undercroft car park containing 81no. car parking spaces and connection from the car park to the retail above is contained within a circulation area (via travelators, lift and stair cores). The proposed building is a three storey equivalent structure with a maximum height of 9.8 metres. The supermarket includes an external delivery/service area and dock leveller; (2) A cafe (95sq.m) fronting onto the Old Cabra Road; (3) Retail (bathroom/tile) showroom and DIY/Hardward Store (900sq.m) with 7no. car parking spaces and dedicated external delivery area; (4) 4no. 3 bed terraced houses and ancillary accommodation with a single access off Annamoe Road with 6 no. car parking spaces. Vehicular access to the retail/commercial elements is via the Old Cabra Road and Annamoe Road. Permission is also sought for boundary treatments, hard and soft landscaping, signage and all associated site and development works. The proposed development involves demolition of all existing buildings (2185sq.m) fronting onto the Old Cabra Road and the warehouse type structures to the rear.

Anyone know what's going into the old memorial works at harts corner?
    Site being cleared at moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Byron Better Scatterbrain

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Was in Two Boys at the weekend. A cool little spot. Brunch menu was very good, and the coffee was excellent. Good to have a place like that in Phibs.

I agree its good to have places like that in Phibsboro, though I was in there was lunch and whatever I had cost 13 euro and was mostly tasteless (save the chorizo). I see a lot of places opening up that seem to be in the Brother Hubbard cafe vein, but for those prices you need to be knocking the food out of the park, not just having 3FE coffee and exposed ceilings.

But anyways, as someone said above it's looking up for the area with Back Page, Bang Bang, whatever the Porterhouse North is these days.....just knock the Tesco please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

All the old bedsits in Cabra park are being (slowly) knocked together into proper flats to comply with government regulations. Proper order too,ive been in some poxy kips down there over the years...

100% agree. They are an embarrassment to the entire place. The fact that the conditions of at least one of those houses led to its owner being discussed in a Cabinet meeting a few years ago and consequently dismissed from An Garda Síochána is testimony to why the state has to come down on all these places across Ireland regardless of the (state-created) housing shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

It is rubbish, especially the fruit and veg section which is not exactly fresh, and the bread section is tiny. The staff are lovely, though, and the newish Tesco at Cabra Cross is really nice. I'd prefer an awful Tesco next to me than an amazing Super Valu, who are consistently the price gougers to beat all gougers of the Irish retail industry (Dublin airport shops and Donnybrook Fair excepted)

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    100% agree. They are an embarrassment to the entire place. The fact that the conditions of at least one of those houses led to its owner being discussed in a Cabinet meeting a few years ago and consequently dismissed from An Garda Síochána is testimony to why the state has to come down on all these places across Ireland regardless of the (state-created) housing shortage.

OMG. I viewed one of his houses in Cabra Park. There was no pictures on the ad and when I turned up I couldn't get out of there quick enough. The whole place smelled like a chip pan.

Advertisement