Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-07-2020, 15:00   #361
_Whimsical_

Well happy days!

Now ourselves and the UK are the only two countries in Europe accepting American tourists.
It's in the New York Times today that these are the only two options now for US tourists planning a holiday abroad in the EU.
That makes us the only sensible option for such tourists,as our virus levels are nothing compared to the UKs.
So we will all can expect to be enjoying our "staycations" sharing dining rooms and lounges with Americans/Covidians and coming home with more than a stick of rock as a souvenir.
Advertisement
01-07-2020, 15:08   #362
ben.schlomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Whimsical_ View Post
Well happy days!

Now ourselves and the UK are the only two countries in Europe accepting American tourists.
It's in the New York Times today that these are the only two options now for US tourists planning a holiday abroad in the EU.
That makes us the only sensible option for such tourists,as our virus levels are nothing compared to the UKs.
So we will all can expect to be enjoying our "staycations" sharing dining rooms and lounges with Americans/Covidians and coming home with more than a stick of rock as a souvenir.
You've been talking/worrying about spikes etc for well over two months, none have happened.
(2) thanks from:
01-07-2020, 15:22   #363
Kingp35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.schlomo View Post
You've been talking/worrying about spikes etc for well over two months, none have happened.
And let's hope sensible measures are in place, and are followed, to ensure that it stays that way.
01-07-2020, 15:27   #364
thecretinhop

Black Lives Matter protest may have sparked new Covid spike among 20 to 30-year-olds in Birmingham | Daily Mail Online
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...irmingham.html

unreal. we were lucky this time.
Thanks from:
02-07-2020, 01:45   #365
Straight Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben.schlomo View Post
To be honest i would have more time for someone being overly cautious, than i would a flippant and ignorant eejit.This virus can make people seriously ill, and i don't think that people who come across as worried, should be subjected to ridicule.
Advertisement
02-07-2020, 07:36   #366
ben.schlomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Talker View Post
To be honest i would have more time for someone being overly cautious, than i would a flippant and ignorant eejit.This virus can make people seriously ill, and i don't think that people who come across as worried, should be subjected to ridicule.
Don't think there was any ridicule, just facts.
03-07-2020, 11:09   #367
Storm 10

What do you make of this latest news today

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/...-virus-report/
03-07-2020, 11:28   #368
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm 10 View Post

Unsurprising.

In the same way that pneumonia is the "old man's friend" Covid will have been the cause of death of some people who would have died of something else in the same time period.

The excess deaths id a better measure of the seriousness of this new virus, and is still large enough to be a problem worth addressing.
Thanks from:
03-07-2020, 11:51   #369
Whereisgalway

Quote:

I think it should be in the main Covid thread not the galway chat
Advertisement
03-07-2020, 12:08   #370
xckjoo

Quote:

I think the last line in the article probably hits the nail on the head

Quote:
However, he also said that changes to healthcare delivery – like suspending elective activity in public acute hospitals – might have a lasting impact on health outcomes that could take years to be seen.
Anecdotally I've heard that a lot of people are avoiding going to doctors, A&E, etc. for things at the moment due to fear of Coronavirus infection. Similarly, I'm sure the provision of healthcare is being effected (regular appointments cancelled, etc.). I'm surprised it's having such an immediate effect. What's most worrying to me is the effect this will have long-term, since things like cancer screenings are not being done. Things where timely intervention are key to survival rates. Would rather they have been started back up before pubs and hairdressers.
(2) thanks from:
04-07-2020, 17:06   #371
LadyMayBelle

One new case in Galway yesterday according to the city tribune's Facebook. After a run of 14 days
04-07-2020, 17:13   #372
extra gravy

Actual conversation in city centre hotel:

Customer: Can I have two pints?
Manager: You must order a meal to get alcohol.
Customer: I had a meal here last night.

Thoughts are with hospitality staff during this difficult time.
06-07-2020, 23:27   #373
Gadgetman496

COVID Tracker Ireland App

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vidtracker.hse

Apple:
https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/covid-...d/id1505596721

-

Last edited by Gadgetman496; 07-07-2020 at 00:33.
Yesterday, 14:56   #374
Wompa1

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Whimsical_ View Post
Well happy days!

From my understanding of it, we were invited to participate in the ban but when it came down to it, the fact we share an open border with the UK who would not join in the ban, we were not included but we're still free to enforce our own.

I think our biggest threat is likely people from the England.
Yesterday, 16:13   #375
_Whimsical_

Interesting article in the NY Times about Sweden that is summarised here. Links to the NY article within if you want to read the full one.

The gist : Despite it's lack of restrictions on normal life Sweden did no better economically than countries that enacted a full lock down. They had 40% more deaths per capita than the US with no economic gains to show. They're now expected to make a slower recovery than other Nordic states that locked down and that had up to 12 times less deaths than them.

Last edited by _Whimsical_; Yesterday at 18:59.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion