Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat chat: general off topic discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

citykat wrote: »
    Quarehawk? No 20something would use that word.

We obviously seem to have different social circles so.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

citykat wrote: »
    Quarehawk? No 20something would use that word.

We obviously seem to have different social circles so.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can see how Covid 19 is taking a toll already locally- see two shops in Macdonagh junction gone (both ladies wear) also Monsoon in market cross. Lots more vacant premises around Kilkenny unfortunately

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

road_high wrote: »
    Can see how Covid 19 is taking a toll already locally- see two shops in Macdonagh junction gone (both ladies wear) also Monsoon in market cross. Lots more vacant premises around Kilkenny unfortunately

I work in tourism, I pull pints, which is gone and I'm not sure how it will pan out on the 29th with all the restrictions, I'd say the guards will be busy. I have my own business which is completely reliant on foreign customers, so I think that's parked until next year.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pennyfeather restaurant gone, heard Matt the Millers is gone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

They seem to be working on the outside of the Matt's building - painting it.

Those places depend on tourists massively. No tourists then it’s very hard for them to be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Heard today that Ryans on friary st is gone aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Autosport wrote: »
    Heard today that Ryans on friary st is gone aswell

Friend of mine plays in a band and he put up a few videos of himself practicing in Ryan’s in the past few days saying he’s looking forward to the reopening.
    Coffee lane , opposite langtons main bar, looks closed permanently. All signage removed. Which is no harm, place was closed previously for lack of vermin control and having eaten there once, the food was not fresh at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Its going to be a hard road back for everybody the best of luck to all the pubs, shops, hotels, etc , i think its time to think local. I find it hard to imagine i have not been in high street since early march what a change since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Solo in the high street not reopening and looks like uniform world in market cross might be gone too. Also shoezone

Solo in the high street not reopening and looks like uniform world in market cross might be gone too. Also shoezone

Uniform world has moved out to Newpark across from Eurospar and Shoezone closed before the virus struck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

https://www.facebook.com/98013524538/posts/10158546734719539/

Matt the Miller's reopening next Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

As if it wasn't tough enough for businesses as it was, without having lads publicly adding to false rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Er I presume the Kilkenny Buses're running Sundays.....?

Have to go in morninng to Lukes; thanks.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Er I presume the Kilkenny Buses're running Sundays.....?

Have to go in morninng to Lukes; thanks.

Yes they run 7 days but reduced frequency on a Sunday. Could be every half hour you’d need to check online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

In market cross today for the first time in a long time. The number of empty units surprised me. Sad to see the city looking so bare without the tourists.

madmaggie wrote: »
    In market cross today for the first time in a long time. The number of empty units surprised me. Sad to see the city looking so bare without the tourists.

Yes was there last week and only said the same thing. Units in a row empty that previously had decent shops in them.
    The rents are out of kilter completely though.
    Also Super valu no longer doing the hour free parking if you shop there. Things were already bad enough you’d imagine. The whole operation reeks of amateurism and second rate-ness. Was a time when this was a some what upmarket place

I went to the garden centre on the Callan Road this afternoon. It's a little gem of a place. Great chat with the owner.

madmaggie wrote: »
    I went to the garden centre on the Callan Road this afternoon. It's a little gem of a place. Great chat with the owner.

Where is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Comerman

Where is that?

In the SOS??

Wallis is closing in a few weeks too

Yes, in the SOS grounds, just past where they're making the new roundabout.

Apart from Penneys and SuperValu, there will be precious little left in Market Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Where is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Well this is novel; possibly a first for Ireland in terms of LIDL?

PP sought to demolish & reconstruct a larger LIDL store on Waterford Rd.; not only that but to also construct 13 2 Storey Houses......

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/577414/kilkenny-supermarket-seeks-to-replace-shop-with-larger-unit-and-build-13-houses.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Comerman wrote: »

Take away what exactly? I doubt it was Joe's they went to.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Is water only been turned off in the city tomorrow ?

• Advertisement

Is water only been turned off in the city tomorrow ?

And Freshford area they say

Advertisement