Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Terribly slow progress on the extension to the river. I know it says "hoping to finish by year end" in the papers, but realistically, its around 1k in length. Pretty sure the White Gates extension was done quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Terribly slow progress on the extension to the river. I know it says "hoping to finish by year end" in the papers, but realistically, its around 1k in length. Pretty sure the White Gates extension was done quicker.

I believe they got the money to do the railway underpass, but nothing else. They were hoping to get the money for the rest of the work this year, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

So the boats moored at the marina are safe for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I believe they got the money to do the railway underpass, but nothing else. They were hoping to get the money for the rest of the work this year, but...

boxer will be along shortly with an announcement

boxer will be along shortly with an announcement

I emailed council. Funding for construction came Apparenrtlt q1 2020 opening. Bad enough missing this summer .

Bridge construction money not granted yet

• Advertisement

Bridge construction money not granted yet

Excellent.

Mearings wrote: »
    Excellent.

Bridge across Shannon is expensive in fairness. Saying that, it's a haunting reminder of where the extra cash for children's hospital and the likes are coming from.

For now, ill settle for the bit of extra track to the Marina. Would love the bridge though. Would take 5 mins off the cycle to work

As I've said here before if the bridge crossed the Shannon alongside the railway bridge it would be of benefit to Athlone's cyclists & pedestrians, but the powers that be in Mullingar want to create this Heath Robinson route accross our river.

Bit of wishy washy statement from Boxer in loval papers this week regarding the west of shannon end.

When we see a route ill be all ears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

the money for this is probably being spent on the national children's hospital

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

the money for this is probably being spent on the national children's hospital

It is probably being wasted on the childrens hospital.

Bit of wishy washy statement from Boxer in loval papers this week regarding the west of shannon end.

When we see a route ill be all ears
    There's the consultations that were done a few years ago here

http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Roads/Publications-and-Information/Galway-Dublin-Greenway/Athlone-to-Ballinasloe-Section

I don't know if the preferred route selected then is still the option now though.

Still nothing on what they'll do West of the Shannon in Athlone urban area. This rate you may be talking about underground tunnel again

There is a (OPW?) engineering boat anchored a few yards from the west bank opposite the steps by the side of the Luan Gallery. It has stabliser in use on its left side - it's facing down river. It has been there overnight. Could this possibly be the start of preparation work for the proposed bicycle bridge?

Had a look at it this evening, it's a pontoon.

Looks like they're finally lifting the rails at the white gates, probably about time as it has been imposible to run a train on the line for at least ten years (or whenever Irish Rail disconnected the two ends of the line).

I assume it will be replaced by a zebra crossing of some type.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Looks like they're finally lifting the rails at the white gates, probably about time as it has been imposible to run a train on the line for at least ten years

More like 30 years, I think.

OK, no, 30 years with no service, but you could be right about when it became impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I think the last run over the line was im 2003.

The latest section, down to the river, just opened.

The work for the bridge has now kicked off too

I came across the EIS on the ABP site which has some useful images, added below.

• Advertisement
Advertisement