Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Permanent Residency FAQ

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

I have been in Canada 9 months now on a 2year IEC visa. I would like to get PR but I'm not sure if I qualify. I work as a security guard and I have a 3 year common law degree from Ireland. I don't think my employment qualifies as skilled work.

Does that mean I don't qualify for PR?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Hey Elite Woad Raider,

As far as I've been told, I don't think security would be considered as counting towards the skilled Canadian work experience.

If you are here with your spouse and they had skilled experience you can go on their application.

I did read some news recently that would allow people to apply again for a 2 year IEC and not need to go home or interrupt your stay.

Keep us posted!

Edit:

Maybe with your degree there is a route to PR, but without having 1 year of skilled work exp I think you need to meet finance means like $10K in savings *Don't quote me on that, but I know there is some catch on express entry without the 1 year skilled work exp.*

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I work as a security guard and I have a 3 year common law degree from Ireland.
    "Security guards and related security service occupations" are Skill Level C.
    If your job is skill level C or D
    you may be able to come to Canada as a provincial nominee (all skill types/levels),
    you may be able to come to Canada through the Atlantic Immigration Pilot (skill type/level 0, A, B, or C), or
    you may be able to work here for up to two years.
    MOre info; https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/find-national-occupation-code.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I have been in Canada 9 months now on a 2year IEC visa. I would like to get PR but I'm not sure if I qualify. I work as a security guard and I have a 3 year common law degree from Ireland. I don't think my employment qualifies as skilled work.

Does that mean I don't qualify for PR?

Wait until you've 12 months before applying, it'll put you under the CEC type. Do do do sent your degree in for validation with WES now, they are so ****ing slow. Expect it to take 12 weeks so do it now. In month 11 of your stay in canada get all your other stuff ready.

**I'm submitting PR this week, waiting on 2 docs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Doylers wrote: »
    Wait until you've 12 months before applying, it'll put you under the CEC type. Do do do sent your degree in for validation with WES now, they are so ****ing slow. Expect it to take 12 weeks so do it now. In month 11 of your stay in canada get all your other stuff ready.

**I'm submitting PR this week, waiting on 2 docs

You won't qualify for CEC if the work experience in Canada is not in a skilled position. Security guard on it's own is not skilled, it would need to be a position with some supervisory role in order to qualify under CEC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement