Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

• 31-10-2019 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking news

Asylum seekers centre at Achill island cancelled

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/1031/1087856-achill-asylum-seekers/

Fair play to the protestors. Oughterard protest also should take a bow. Well done.

Mod warning, 01/11/19:
    Beasty wrote: »
    If posters do not believe what others are saying, then it's fine to ask for backup. However if the poster does not provide backup then please move on. Readers of the threads can make up their own minds on the credentials of posters and any perceived "facts" they spout. There is no point though in going backwards and forwards incessantly on the same points. Please just agree to differ and move on, as if these threads just get stuck in the same ruts they will either be closed or posters will find themselves threadbanned (plus possible additional sanctions)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I'd be worried if I lived near an empty hotel.

Seems to be a few slyhawks with contacts in the Dept buying up these places on the cheap and getting a contract with the state to dump asylum seekers wherever will take them without even considering for one minute about the services available or talking to the local community.

If a town can't support a hotel it's hardly an ideal place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Common sense prevails once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Unsurprisingly the hotel business in Achill is pretty seasonal. The booking for the asylum seekers was for the off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us how upset they are about asylum seekers are not going to Achill

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

13 women for 3 months.. not seeing the big victory in this case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gatling wrote: »
    I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us how upset they are about asylum seekers are not going to Achill

But conveniently silent when asked if they would be ok with the asy seekers in their locality !

Absolute brazen hypocrisy from these virtue signallers.

But conveniently silent when asked if they would be ok with the asy seekers in their locality !

That’s a remarkable story you’ve made up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Starting to restore my faith in this country. Well done to the locals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Ha, so says the fella who thinks that not being able to guarantee the safety of 13 women is a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't see 13 women being denied asylum for a maximum of three months as any kind of victory tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That'll learn them?

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't see 13 women being denied asylum for a maximum of three months as any kind of victory tbh.

Yesterday it was 30 men going there. Check mayo news.

US2 wrote: »
    Starting to restore my faith in this country. Well done to the locals.

Dead right

I hope all the “online keyboard warriors” realise this virtue signaling craic fools absolutely nobody.

Well done protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Thought everyone in area was all for it

alastair wrote: »
    That’s a remarkable story you’ve made up there.

Not the worst story we've had now is it ;)

Yep looks like some sort of clumsy PR attempt from the department.

Up until lunchtime today it was 30 single men destined for Achill

Now since 5pm the press office are saying 13 women

Lads, this fake news craic does not work. Ppl these days are too media savvy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,087 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dead right

I hope all the “online keyboard warriors” realise this virtue signaling craic fools absolutely nobody.

Well done protestors.

So you were at the protest fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

TBF the song isn't "If you're Syrian, come into the parlor".

Nice to see a people with a history of being refugees themselves....something...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The morally superior on twitter must be having a fit.

Varik wrote: »

Why don’t they take in some of those asy seekers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dramatic much? I doubt this will affect their status.

Varik wrote: »

We've a few of them in CA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

jmayo wrote: »
    Watch Ringer.
    He knows what side his bread is buttered and is wily old campaigner.

Indeed. Election coming.

Plan "shelved" according to RTE radio now.

They are talking about all women on the radio but an Achill local I work with was telling me it was supposed to be all men last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the people of Achill appear to disagree

Yep looks like some sort of clumsy PR attempt from the department.

Up until lunchtime today it was 30 single men destined for Achill

Now since 5pm the press office are saying 13 women

Lads, this fake news craic does not work. Ppl these days are too media savvy.

Nope - yesterday they were saying that the first asylum seekers, who were women, were due to arrive today, having been delayed following last week’s protests. So none of the above really holds water.

alastair wrote: »
    Nope - yesterday they were saying that the first asylum seekers, who were women, were due to arrive today, having been delayed following last week’s protests. So none of the above really holds water.

Not true.

Check Irish times and mayo news

I know you have an agenda but please realise there are ppl equally as media savvy as you on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Great to see this happen again. Hopefully this is a big talking point at the next election. The message at the door should be “YOU WORK FOR US, not the EU, not the NGOs.

the people of Achill appear to disagree

Aside from those who welcomed the asylum seekers of course.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,120 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The locals weren't all that opposed to this. There was a lot of **** stirring by "concerned" oddballs with no connection to the area trying to get folks into a tizzy, which was very interesting to see first hand I have to say. A few of the more gullible folks got sucked in and protested, a similar amount of others were openly accepting of the idea, the vast majority of the island went about their lives and didn't give a ****.

• Advertisement

Great to see this happen again. Hopefully this is a big talking point at the next election. The message at the door should be “YOU WORK FOR US, not the EU, not the NGOs.

Nothing here had the slightest to do with the EU or any NGO.

Advertisement