Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Id rather have a dose of thrush that read anything she vomits out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

_Dara_ wrote: »
    LON’s slavishly-devoted detractors will help her stay in gainful employment which will put her future kids through college. You guys will help pay for their gender studies degrees. :D

Future kids? Doubt it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Why are people like her allowed to get away with blatant lying? This gender gap rubbish has been debunked a thousand times, yet they still pretend that women are paid less for doing the same job as a man. As I'm not on twitter, can someone please inform Ms O'Neill that there's a difference between 1. Pay and 2. Earnings.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I dunno, people seem to be losing interest in her, thank fook. I can’t recall myself the last time I took notice of one of her outbursts.

LON was clearly hired as a clickbait draw. Threads like this demonstrate why.

So basically ignore the bogeyman and it'll go away? That's the vibe I'm getting from all of your posts on this thread. I see nothing wrong in calling out people like Lon and Hopkins over their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Kinda would like to see the repeal vote go against her and ilk to see the meltdown she’d have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

So basically ignore the bogeyman and it'll go away? That's the vibe I'm getting from all of your posts on this thread. I see nothing wrong in calling out people like Lon and Hopkins over their views.

But like, seriously. I never ever notice her in my day to day life. And I read a lot and ingest a lot of news. The only place she ever comes on my radar is here. She is blatantly employed to provoke ire and generate clicks from people who disagree with her viewpoints. You’re playing into her hands. She’s a troll.

I have journalists I don’t like. I just ignore their output. It is really easy. I don’t expect to like them all. I don’t expect them to go away either. There’ll be journalists I don’t like. This is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Kinda would like to see the repeal vote go against her and ilk to see the meltdown she’d have

Going a bit far there

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I'm personally for repealing the 8'th but the repeal movement has been hijacked by extremist's like Lon to such an extent that I can see it failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Going a bit far there

Sure she'd love it, keep her in work for years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Yeah. That's the main reason why will vote against repealing the 8th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Still, she provoked yet another thread on AH, so evidently she's doing something right.

Same for Trump right?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Same for Trump right?

Two-bit journalist, ridiculous leader of a world super power. Wouldn’t you think the latter should be generating a good few threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Why are people like her allowed to get away with blatant lying? This gender gap rubbish has been debunked a thousand times, yet they still pretend that women are paid less for doing the same job as a man. As I'm not on twitter, can someone please inform Ms O'Neill that there's a difference between 1. Pay and 2. Earnings.

Please supply me with the thousand peer reviewed studies that back up you point.

You've got plenty of time. This thread won't die soon. There's plenty of time. Threads about Louise O'Neill go on for ages. At this point in time there are plenty of idiots scrolling though her twitter feed looking for something to get angry about. The last thread about her tuned almost stalkerish in it's obsession with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm personally for repealing the 8'th but the repeal movement has been hijacked by extremist's like Lon to such an extent that I can see it failing.

Oh stop. Anyone who votes against what they actually believe in in spite of some nutter on Twitter is a spare who needs to have their right to vote removed.

Two-bit journalist, ridiculous leader of a world super power. Wouldn’t you think the latter should be generating a good few threads?

Trump threads automatically get thrown into the politics forum because they tend to turn stupid and nasty pretty fast. It tends to go along the lines of ...

Trump says something stupid.

But Hillary.

Mod interjects "Hillary was ages ago. Don't mention her"

But Hillary

Mod bans someone.

rereg. But Hillary.

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

anna080 wrote: »

Oh stop. Anyone who votes against what they actually believe in in spite of some nutter on Twitter is a spare who needs to have their right to vote removed.
    While I’m for repealing it - there are probably undecided voters and her type really don’t help their cause

anna080 wrote: »

Whilst I don’t agree with removing votes, I can’t believe someone would vote against what they believe in because someone on that side is a poo poo face. Bigger picture, people!

Grayson wrote: »
    Please supply me with the thousand peer reviewed studies that back up you point.

You've got plenty of time. This thread won't die soon. There's plenty of time. Threads about Louise O'Neill go on for ages. At this point in time there are plenty of idiots scrolling though her twitter feed looking for something to get angry about. The last thread about her tuned almost stalkerish in it's obsession with her.

It’s the way of the world now. She’s a public figure for some reason. She says dumb things, people call her out on it and others will defend her, all the while mocking people for spending so much of their time being angry with her, with such a lack of self-awareness that they don’t consider themselves to be wasting their time arguing.

No different to Katie Hopkins or Piers Morgan. It’s just on a smaller, localised scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I would have never heard of Louise O' Neill if it wasn't for the all hurt feelings she generates around here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

While I’m for repealing it - there are probably undecided voters and her type really don’t help their cause

Nail on the head.

• Advertisement

It’s the way of the world now. She’s a public figure for some reason. She says dumb things, people call her out on it and others will defend her, all the while mocking people for spending so much of their time being angry with her with such a lack of self-awareness that they don’t consider themselves to be wasting their time arguing.

No different to Katie Hopkins or Piers Morgan. It’s just on a smaller, localised scale.

It's a bit different. The sheer scale of it on boards is weird. And like I said the last thread turned into a weird stalker-ish thread. Everyday there were people updating the thread with her tweets and articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Whilst I don’t agree with removing votes, I can’t believe someone would vote against what they believe in because someone on that side is a poo poo face. Bigger picture, people!

Yea. Like why would you even let her have that kind of power over you? She won't be sitting at home writing the legislation like. Vote for what you believe in and don't let some gowl sway you of your beliefs whichever way they fall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

And the iona institute get articles in the Irish times regular enough. Yet there's no threads about Brenda O'Brien that go on for hundreds of pages.

Strangely enough, I manage to ignore them most of the time.
    There are at least two 100+ page threads about the Iona Institute on this site.
    In a forum that's a lot quieter than this one.
    Chances are we all have national media journalists we don’t like and don’t agree with. I don’t like some (and LON would be one of them) so I just don’t read their output. Avoid the ones that aren’t your cup of cha. It’s easy peasy. So some people like her and agree with her. So? National figures always have loads of Twitter followers.
    You're missing the point of my post.
    Just because you ignore her doesn't mean her and more importantly her ideas go away.
    We already have idiotic gender quotas, but for calling out LON's type of nonsense we'd probably have more gender policies in law.
    Look at the VFI, most people would laugh at what they come out with, and yet we're about to get minimum unit pricing and curtains in off-licences.
    The "just ignore it" attitude doesn't work in this day and age.

There are at least two 100+ page threads about the Iona Institute on this site.
    In a forum that's a lot quieter than this one.

And I said threads about Brenda O'Brien.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭my poor tortured hands

markodaly wrote: »
    If this was actually true, that women were cheaper to hire than men, why would anyone thus hire a man? Can anyone answer that one for me please?

Because companies choose staff on criteria other than price. They select more men than women, due to those other criteria, and then they pay the women less.

The gender gap is real but so is the wages gap between sales staff and engineers (for example), and for the same reason. Sales staff are professional negotiators and they negotiate a better wage for themselves on average. Engineers are good at engines but not so good at negotiation.

Salaries are negotiated and women aren't as good at that as men, on average.

It's a bit different. The sheer scale of it on boards is weird. And like I said the last thread turned into a weird stalker-ish thread. Everyday there were people updating the thread with her tweets and articles.

I’m not aware of the thread you speak of but... how is linking tweets from a particular person to a thread about that particular person (who let's face it is only really any way well known because of her tweets) ‘stalkerish’?

I've no interest in this person; in fact I've never heard of her before I clicked on this thread, but I'm against people being given a national platform to spread lies. She writes for a national newspaper and therefore has influence.

Just google "Gender pay gap debunked and you should find plenty of peer reviewed studies that show the concept to be a load of piffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

And I said threads about Brenda O'Brien.
    Brenda O'Brien doesn't have a regular column in the Irish Times.
    If you going to be pedantic at least spell her name right.
    The Iona Institute and people closely affiliated with it, write columns which generate lengthy threads on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I've no interest in this person; in fact I've never heard of her before I clicked on this thread, but I'm against people being given a national platform to spread lies. She writes for a national newspaper and therefore has influence.

Just google "Gender pay gap debunked and you should find plenty of peer reviewed studies that show the concept to be a load of piffle.

Quick question let's say for arguments sake that women are allowed to leave the workplace for several years to raise a family. During this time they still receive pay increments as if they were working. They cone back to the same salary as I have when I continued to work.

We are both women but I have more experience and yet get paid the same. Surely that's pay inequality right there ????

• Advertisement

Quick question let's say for arguments sake that women are allowed to leave the workplace for several years to raise a family. During tbis to e they still receive pay increments as if they were working. They cone back to the same salary as I have when I continued to work.

We are both women but I have more experience and yet get paid the same. Surely that's pay inequality right there ????

Yes, but the people arguing that there is a gender pay gap aren't arguing your point. Their argument is that women are paid less than men. This is simply untrue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement