Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Not nearly as triggered as the posters here who react.

I think if they ever met Louise O'Neill, I'd be slapping them across the face first to get them to tone down the hysteria.

"AAAAAAAGH AAAAAAAAGH, WOMAN TWEETED SOMETHING ABOUT SOMETHING."
    You.

You read a tweet and rushed to AH. Relax. It's the www. People will say things you don't like.

The irony in this comment is entirely lost on you. So where did I or anyone else here say she should be slapped in the face?

Oh, so she's essentially a Katie Hopkins-lite eejit? Good to know.

What I dislike is that I only know her name because of people constantly bringing her up here. If you don't want to be annoyed by what she says -- perhaps you just shouldn't go out looking for her posts and comments?

[/B]

The irony in this comment is entirely lost on you.

I'm not the poster who is linked to someone on twitter just to race to AH with the latest "news".

Anyway, go on, some woman upset you on the www. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being sang froid and 10 being outraged, where would you be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

This is why I don't use Twitter. Every twat with an opinion can make it public and others share it and discuss it and it just fuels the fire. Why not just ignore it.

I believe her books are pretty OK, but she ruins it all by everything else.

If you take a look at Guerilla Feminism on instagram you see that she recycles most of her ideas from there, and uses all of that language. #menaretrash is essentially their motto and they live in a world where they compete to see who is the most oppressed, and the most oppressed are the most correct, no matter what kind of ****e they spout.

• Advertisement

I'm not the poster who is linked to someone on twitter just to race to AH with the latest "news".

Anyway, go on, some woman upset you on the www. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being sang froid and 10 being outraged, where would you be?

At a scale of 1-10 how triggered are you by working with a pregnant women that you start a thread on AH about it ?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104331863&postcount=1

What I dislike is that I only know her name because of people constantly bringing her up here. If you don't want to be annoyed by what she says -- perhaps you just shouldn't go out looking for her posts and comments?

Chill the beans lad, she's fairly prominent and this is a discussion board

"I'd rather be in a bus load of angry feminists with hairy armpits on a hot day than spend a minute at Ladies Day at the Races."

Tut tut.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104144845&postcount=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

+1

We already had a 100+ page thread on her that was locked because it degenerated into quite personal attacks.

Leave. It .Be

At a scale of 1-10 how triggered are you by working with a pregnant women that you start a thread on AH about it ?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104331863&postcount=1

Ha ha!

As well as trawling through twitter to get cross, you also trawl through post histories.

I'll put you down as a 9. You're very cross about Louise, aren't you? Because something something Louise someone something thread I started something...

• Advertisement

Ha ha!

As well as trawling through twitter to get cross, you also trawl through post histories.

I'll put you down as a 9. You're very cross about Louise, aren't you? Because something something Louise someone something thread I started something...

And you're very cross that I started a discussion about her. I'm beginning to think you're related to her such is the hysterical tone to your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Poor Conor :D

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Poor Conor :D

I'm having toast. It's all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

She's probably starting the threads herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Anyone who defines themselves by being anti-things instead of pro-things is usually heavy weather. Louise O'Neill is one of 'em.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'm having toast. It's all good!

Have some humble pie while you're at it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Noveight wrote: »
    Anyone who defines themselves by being anti-things instead of pro-things is usually heavy weather. Louise O'Neill is one of 'em.

Or has Activist in their title. Sure sign of a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

professore wrote: »
    She's probably starting the threads herself.

nope. There are more than enough guys who are obsessed with this ****

Funnily, the vast majority of the time it's men that share her opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

The Examiner is hardly the New York Times. And RTE gave her one show.

Her views are just recycled memes and opinions from other Third Wave Feminists coupled with some "witty" put downs. No real analysis of either.

So why worry about it?
    The Examiner has a readership of close to 250,000.
    Her show on RTE got a prime time slot AFAIR.
    If all she had was a 1,000 followers on twitter I'd agree with the "ignore her and she'll go away" strategy.
    But she's a bit bigger than that at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The Examiner has a readership of close to 250,000.
    Her show on RTE got a prime time slot AFAIR.
    If all she had was a 1,000 followers on twitter I'd agree with the "ignore her and she'll go away" strategy.
    But she's a bit bigger than that at this stage.

And the iona institute get articles in the Irish times regular enough. Yet there's no threads about Brenda O'Brien that go on for hundreds of pages.

Strangely enough, I manage to ignore them most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Funnily, the vast majority of the time it's men that share her opinion.

They’re the ones you’d have to watch out for , the creepy male ‘feminist’.... never trust a fella who claims that ....

She’s essentially Katie Hopkins on the opposite end of the spectrum (LON is more extreme left) ... but she’s not as smart (articles are poorly written and opinions and tweets are like a rambling transition year student) and very hypocritical in her opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 30,178 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think the person in the book shop was really trying to wind her up because they put her in the fiction section when she was doing a book signing.

12366245_998526950204585_474991142708237830_n.jpg?oh=36e87260468f96fbf202ffd47e0853ec&oe=5A9471D4

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Asks her Twitter followers to do her debating for her in relation to a question asked of her on Instagram about the gender pay gap. "I'm too tired to murder him right now, any takers?" IE I don't have the intellectual capacity to debate or back up my statements.

https://twitter.com/oneilllo/status/928953179370328064

Dangerous talk going on there by her. Expressing an intent to murder somebody on social media and inciting others to help. Hope nothing bad happens to the man in question or she could have An Garda Siochana at her door.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She's trivialising murder with her comment. This is why Ireland has a murder culture!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No, still there.

A meme, two women high fiving and the caption is, 'Women. Like men, only cheaper'.

If this was actually true, that women were cheaper to hire than men, why would anyone thus hire a man? Can anyone answer that one for me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

She's unbelievable that one. Calling people trolls just because they disagree with her. I replied to her tweet and tagged Kate Andrews (who is the news editor at the Institute of Economic Affairs) with the hope she might address some of the BS she posts.

I think she has me on mute though :P

https://twitter.com/iealondon/status/929685965299335169

anna080 wrote: »
    She's trivialising murder with her comment. This is why Ireland has a murder culture!!!

Ireland has a murder culture? What the heck are you even on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gaffer falls

Now if women married men on a lower wage than themselves the pay gap would disappear ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Where would LON be without her dedicated detractors?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement